4.0 out of 5 stars A Worthwhile Upgrade

I have Quicken 2001, not 2002, but I guess these comments are useful:
Published on 16 Mar 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited ability with shares. Poor support, 16 Mar 2002
I have Quicken 2001, not 2002, but I guess these comments are useful:
There is no support file for Quicken 2002 on the Intuit website . The support file for Quicken 2001 only appeared in March 2002. Otherwise you had to phone the (premium) helpline. The support file that has appeared is very limited. So expect any problems you have to cost you a lot in phone calls.
If you wish to use the product for stocks/shares investment, note this from the support file:
"Unfortunately, at this time we do not have a partner that provides fundamental data or historical quotes for UK shares and investment trusts. Fundamental data and historical quotes are currently only available for shares that are listed on U.S. exchanges."
Also note that the product does not calculate anything useful with regard to Capital Gains Tax. It does calculate a capital gain, but cannot even handle indexation, let alone taper relief.
Divis have to be entered twice - once for the gross (yes, gross, so you have to get out a calculator) figure, once for the tax credit.
Tax is calculated to 1st Jan, not 5th April, although you can set up extra reports with the right date.
I think this is a US product that is inadequate for the UK market.
It may have some uses for bank a/cs, although personally I find a calculator easier; I'd advise staying away if you have a share portfolio.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - poor support, 10 Jun 2002
This review is from: Quicken 2002 Deluxe (CD-ROM)
I used to be a quicken user but switched to Money 2000 some years ago. I'd forgotten why - and for a variety of reasons thought I'd give quicken 2002 a go. Then I remembered...
The setup process (on both win 2000 & xp machines) generated error messages. So i checked the intuit site for advice. Both the main & UK sites were very thin on help: only 1 reference to installation issues, which didn't apply. There was a patch or upgrade, from v1 to v2, but when I tried downloading it & running it, even the patch didn't install properly. Intuit offer *no* online support to speak of, you are invited to ring a premium rate number for advice. However - both the number on the UK web site and on the UK customer support phone network were both disconnected. That's right: not just busy, or ringing but no-one picking up, but number unobtainable. I tried repeatedly, so no mistake.
After that I just put the CD back in the post & mailed it off to Intuit for a refund. My personal opinion is that with support this poor Quicken deserves to get eaten alive by Money.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Worthwhile Upgrade, 21 Mar 2002
This review is from: Quicken 2002 Deluxe (CD-ROM)
I upgraded from Q2000. Q2002 has a much better structure and feel to the Web type pages and you can more easily put on other accounts such as Mortgages, Loans and Shares. You then get the opportunity to review and manage these accounts with better reporting and analysis tools. The advice pages are more relevant and complete than before. If you run a car on expenses it is worth buying the Delux Business Edition just for the mileage recording facility alone. Currency and share price downloads work well. Everything is more complete and more reliable in its operation. The downside is that my Bank has not yet upgraded to allow Account Downloads and Automatice Updating. The Intuit Helpdesk was insensitive to my problem (Based in Canada for UK). I went ahead with the upgrade anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quicken Rules, 30 Nov 2007
This review is from: Quicken 2002 Deluxe (CD-ROM)
I have used Quicken in various versions for the past ten years, right from Windows 95. I have never had any serious problems with it apart from downloading from bank accounts. With Vista it took a while to understand how to run it in a compatibility mode that suited it, but it is still going strong. I am not sure why people had trouble with stocks and shares. I ran many stocks with it through the years I was investing and it downloaded latest prices. My only big beef is that it is no longer supported so I cannot have upgrades.

I am self employed so the program is a vital tool in my work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Support, 24 Jun 2006
J. D. Westwood (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quicken 2002 Deluxe (CD-ROM)
You need to be aware that Intuit withdrew their support for Quicken in the UK from January 2005 but continued support for existing customers of Quicken XG until January 2006. The program is certainly the best for home accounting

5.0 out of 5 stars Money 2002 is better, 3 April 2002
This review is from: Quicken 2002 Deluxe (CD-ROM)
Having evaluated both Quicken 2002 and Money 2002 Id say go for Money instead. Quicken looked great when i played with it yesterday but after spending all night with money 2002 and finally putting ALL my financial details in, Money 2002 comes out on tops. Apart from the initial Passport bit (that I hate and feel is so insecure) I bypassed this and now carry on working without it. Quicken is no where as pretty as Money2002, and doesnt seem to be as flexible - I can see the limitations of this product already. I havnt got the online banking facility to work as my bank isnt listed but then again its not very smart anyway, so until the banks improve we cant expect this to work (not that Im bothered anyhow as my account balance fine with my statement). If you have to choose, I wouldnt get this, Id buy money 2002 as its a lot more user friendly but without the restrictions.

1.0 out of 5 stars Discontinued Product Warning, 18 Aug 2005
Important notice for Quicken Users:
Intuit UK has made a difficult business decision to discontinue future development of Quicken products for the UK market. To help customers affected by this decision, we will continue providing access to Quicken customer support and online services through to the end of January 2006.
Key Dates
Quicken withdrawn from sale: 31, January 2005
Phone support (Quicken XG, 2004) until: 31, January 2006
Email support (Quicken XG, 2004) until: 31, January 2006
Online support until: 31, January, 2006

Quicken 2002 Deluxe
Quicken 2002 Deluxe by Intuit (Windows 2000 / 95 / 98 / Me / XP)
Out of stock