Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 August 2003
As a fan of both her former bands Hole and the Smashing Pumpkins, I have always loosely kept track of what bassist Melissa Auf Der Maur is getting up to musically. So when I heard that shed done a duet with a french band I was interested in hearing it. I kept the song "Le Grand Secret" (which I liked very much) buried away somewhere for months and months before finally getting round to buying the album a few weeks ago.
All I can say is Im glad I did!
This is a really really great album. I would say that at its core its a pop rock album, but as mentioned it has definitely got some great, heavy, glammy riffs running through some of the songs. There are also a lot of lush keyboards on this record and tonnes of atmosphere.
Theres little to no filler on "Paradize" which is why I love it so much. Every song is a "tune", with some really great hooks. Its the kind of album you can put on and leave on.
Despite speaking French fairly well, Ive never sat down and translated the lyrics. The fact that the songs are sung in French doesnt really detract at all - the melodies are so great it doesnt seem a problem.
Having investigated this band a little further on the internet (invariably in French), I was surprised to find they are not a new band, but in fact one that has been around since the 80s, in various different incarnations. There are quite a few french fan pages on the net for Indochine, who as I have gathered are absolutely huge in their native country, playing to packed out stadiums. These are worth persevering with, as I have found some of their videos from this album for download.
I would love to see them live, but I have no idea if theyve toured the UK or if they will in the future.
Probably my favourite tracks are J'ai Demande A La Lune, Mao Boy, Le Grand Secret, Paradize and Dark.
on 9 November 2004
As an ex-pat living in Belgium I get the best of both worlds: decent music from the UK, and decent food on the continent. However, there are exceptions, and Indochine is one of them. 'Paradize' is Indochine's big come-back album, (previous releases were old songs regurgitated and a few bonus tracks thrown in), and generally there's only two ways come back albums can go: sky high or rock bottom. The fact this went platinum in Belgium ( believe me, that comment is worthy of *shock shock horror horror* as we have a love hate relationship with the french...) speaks for itself. Very original (or bizarre, depends on how you look at it), very dark, and just very good. A must for those discovering Indochine.
on 17 November 2003
I had a great time listening to this cd. Having been a fan for years, I was glad to find they haven't lost their touch. My favourite tracks were Paradize, Dark and J'ai demande a la lune. Great evidence that lyrics does not have be in English. Although different, a lot of their earlier stuff is worth listening to as well.
on 6 February 2010
told about this by sister of a friend,(never heard it), I wasn't told about it. Only told I would like it.when it arrived, played it straight away, Brilliant, a fantastic blend of harmonics with at last some decent music. even my friends like it,(that's a shock with some of them).superb
on 24 August 2004
If you want to buy a indochine's album,it's your duty buy this album!!!It's a music that contains depeche mode, the cure... and even Marlilyn Manson!!!15 songs that leave you without breath
on 5 November 2002
Bought on holiday in France and really excellent - like a cross between heavy and punk with some 80's hints thrown in. If you like "interesting" music then this is for you.
on 7 September 2003
After hearing the excellent single Marilyn almost hourly on the radio in France on holiday this year I decided to investigate the album. What an excellent one it is too. There are hints of Pulp in Marilyn. In other songs you could almost be listening to late 80's Cure or New Order. Even if you don't speak French this is well worth investing in for the music alone.
Go on give it a try!