5.0 out of 5 stars A ring flash of brilliance, 20 May 2010
Mr. A. Darling (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon Flash Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX (Accessory)
This ia a very fine piece of kit which fits onto your Canon Macro lens either directly or using (expensive) adaptor rings.
It will not fit onto another lens unless you get the adaptor, because it fits like some lens-hoods into a groove a few millimeters back from the lens front. It does not come with the male thread adaptor rings you get with some independent ringflashes.
If your Canon macro lens takes 52 mm filters the flash head probably fits directly, it does on my 50mm Compact Macro f/2.5. But to fit my new 100mm Macro IS I had to buy a Canon 67mm adaptor for £30 and waited 4 months for it to arrive.

Once mounted it is very controllable in a way which will be familiar to anyone who has used a 580EX flash, it has a much lower guide number of course. The MR14-EX can also be used to trigger other Canon flashes wirelessly either in combination or with the ring flash switched off.

I have found it very useful in getting dark non distracting backgrounds to outdoor macro subjects. Either a full 360 ring can be fired or just half if directionality is needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 9 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Canon Flash Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX (Accessory)
Beautiful piece of kit. Easy to use and a good user manual. Build quality as always very good and robust typical Canon quality. Perfect for my macro photography. Only one gripe the price of the adapter ring to fit on my 100mm macro lens I think is to expensive. Apart from that excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product. Perfect in all ways, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Canon Flash Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX (Accessory)
I bought this ring flash to aid my macro photography. Boy does it do a perfect job. I have to say I am more than happy with it. As always from Canon, the finish is total quality. The device arrived the next day too and I was suitably impressed with Amazon for this.

4.0 out of 5 stars the four stars are for excellent results., 9 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Canon Flash Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX (Accessory)
I would have given it a star rating but I dropped it a point because it is expensive. I have no regrets that I bought the dedicated Canon one though. I do feel a bit miffed that after paying nearly £500, I had to fork out another £20 for an adaptor for my EOS 7D. Having said that, the four stars are for excellent results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flashy success!, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Canon Flash Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX (Accessory)
After trying a succession of much cheaper alternatives I rapidly discovered that the only way to contentment was to bite the bullet and purchase the real thing! Excellent in every way and as is usual for Canon - impressively engineered.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 26 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Canon Flash Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX (Accessory)
works well for my clinical photography and helps reduce shadowing :). does not need a ring adapter for 100mm lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Canon Flash Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX (Accessory)
Fantastic product - don't be fooled by inferior products

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I decided to buy it, 26 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Canon Flash Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX (Accessory)
As with all Canon Equipment this is not a cheap item and as I own a much older version of their ringflash I wasn't sure if it was worth buying. My fears have been allayed. It is very sophisticated and yet simple to use straight out of the box. The guidebook explains the more complicated settings in fairly simple terms. It is well made and works well. I'm glad I decided to buy it.

Canon Flash Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX