Format: Audio CD|Change

As with Elvis, everybody has their own preferences when it comes to Barbra's music. I generally like her seventies music best, but (as with Elvis), I like most of her music, including everything here, all presented in chronological order. The first CD covers the sixties and seventies, while the second CD covers the eighties and beyond.
People, Second hand rose and Happy days are here again are, perhaps, Barbra's most famous sixties songs here. Also included is Barbra's version of Cry me a river, altogether more dramatic and defiant than Julie London's original. It's interesting, but I still prefer the original.
Stoney end, The way we were and Evergreen are among the seventies classics included, along with two duets - You don't bring me flowers (with Neil Diamond) and No more tears (with Donna Summer).
The eighties started with Woman in love (my favorite track here) followed by Guilty (a duet with Barry Gibb). Her first Broadway album is represented by four songs, including Send in the clowns and Somewhere.
The nineties yielded I finally found someone (with Bryan Adams) and Tell him (with Celine Dion). It seems that, by then, Barbra needed a fashionable duet partner in order to have a big hit single.
Throughout the collection, there are many other fine songs, too numerous to mention. If you haven't got any of Barbra's music, this is the place to start.
on 29 March 2002
Thank God somebody took the hint a made a proper greatest hits by the lovely Barbra.I have at least 30 of Barbra's albums and I'm fed up making what I would call a proper greatest hits,As far as I'm concerned this truly is the greatest collection of Barbra's hits ever put onto an album.The only thing missing from this album is The Hello Dolly song, and her duets with Judy Garland but that is only my personal Choice, as far as this album is concerned you couldn't get any better if you tried. Buy it, buy it, buy it now or you will regret it.
on 25 February 2002
This is an absolutely amazing album. Although all but two songs are on previously released albums, this CD is well worth it's money.
All the songs are the original versions, which makes it ultra special for me seen as my collection mainly contains her recent albums.
The two previously un-released songs, "Some Day My Prince Will Come" and "You'll Never Walk Alone" are brilliant. These two songs alone are worth buying the album.
on 25 February 2002
To celebrate 40 years union with Columbia Records, Barbra Streisand and Columbia have sent us this wonderful gift .... a CD packed with some of Barbra's greatests hits .... and more! Songs from 5 decades span this superb CD. But these are not justs songs because the emotion that Barbra packs into each lyric makes them much more meaningful. Barbra sings from the heart, she is not just "a voice" .... she is truly a master of her craft. The songs range from heart-breaking ballads (My Man, He Touched Me, Papa Can you Hear Me?) to jump-to-your-feet disco numbers (No More Tears, The Main Event). From show-stoppers (Don't Rain On My Parade, Memory, Send In The Clowns, Somewhere) to favourites (Evergreen, Woman In Love, You Don't Bring Me Flowers). There is something for everyone on this CD. But not happy with giving us 38 "essential" recordings, Barbra and Columbia have given us a couple of bonus tracks too! A new version of "Someday My Prince Will Come" and the important "You'll Never Walk Alone" which was specially recorded in remembrance of the September 11th tragedy and which Barbra performed live at the Emmy Awards recently. Both songs will send shivers down your spine and the orchestration on both songs is awesome. The artwork on the CD is fantastic with some stunning shots of Barbra and here in Europe we get a different front cover too! All in all, this is one Greatest Hits CD that everyone should have in his or her collection!! More than highly recommended!
on 6 February 2014
I was very confident that this would indeed be the all-embracing package its title suggests (based on other artists covered in this series). And if I couldn't call myself a Barbra Streisand aficianado, this was in all likelihood going to be the place to start with my experience extending only to her greatesr singles and show tunes. I wasn't disappointed either, and I feel quite sure that I will in time be turning my attention to specific albums. Clearly, that is job done as "Essential" goes, the rest is ,so to speak, down to me. Ms Streisand can and has turned her extraordinary voice to most things musically, few if any singers of either gender can put such feeling into a song and bring it out of a listener - certainly not on such a regular basis since the 1960s! The chronological approach to this is another beneficial aspect to the construction of the album, a credit to all involved, most especially Ms Streisand herself of course. The purchase turned up in excellent time (I'm a terribly impatient waiter!) too. The perfect place for any Streisand novice like me to begin - and get hooked!
on 4 January 2005
I wouldn't claim to be a particular fan of Barbra Streisand although I have always enjoyed her films and music. I think this collection is fantastic. Great songs sung by a diva. There are no 'make weight' tracks as you usually get with these collections. It is an excellent reminder of true star quality in every respect.
on 14 September 2013
A number of songs from the beginning of the artist. It includes some of his most important successes, but not all. Is interesting to hear the evolution of the voice of the artist, which practically has not changed despite the years. For collectors or those who want something from the artist.

Una serie de canciones desde los inicios de la artista. Incluye algunos de sus éxitos mas importantes, pero no están todos. Es interesante escuchar la evolución en la voz de la artista, la cual prácticamente no ha cambiado a pesar de los años. Para los coleccionistas o los que quieren algo de la artista.
on 21 August 2012
I love her voice, so when browsing for a Streisand CD, this one caught my eye - there are so many great songs on just two CDs!

This is Barbra at her best, with a few live songs included too.

The power, emotion and thought she puts into each and every song sings out (sorry for the pun) and you are taken on an emotional rollercoaster with her. It gave me shivers and brought some tears to my eyes.

In my opinion, if you're a fan of Babs, get this CD! You won't regret it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 October 2015
After hearing 'Evergreen' on the radio, it reminded me how much I love that song and also 'You Don't Bring Me Flowers' (duet with Neil Diamond), I decided to buy a Greatest Hits of Barbra Streisand. I looked at one CD and a reviewer recommended this collection instead and it does seem to have a lot more songs on. I bought it from a third party seller for a great price and it was in excellent condition.

A great collection of Streisand songs and duets.
on 17 April 2013
Having LP's of Barbra Streisand and rarely playing them of late, my wife heard a song on the radio and asked if it was available on CD. The order arrived within three days.... Brilliant!
Barbra Streisand has "The Voice". A great collection of her music, you can understand every word, with so much feeling for the lyric's. I would highly recommend.