VINE VOICEon 6 August 2002
Fans of Jan Hammer's scoring of the TV show Miami Vice will (should) already be familiar with the first of the 2 CDs that comprise this title -- a rehash of earlier releases 'Escape from Television' and 'Snapshots'.
The second CD offers up more of the same, but at the same time reveals that the music was actually written to order for specific programmes, and so often an idea lasted for thirty or forty seconds. What were great snippets are here stretched to create 3-minute-plus pieces, and sometimes the stretch is too thin to carry off successfully.
So, a collection of great ideas, given some coherence by their vintage and provenance while still being varied. The form is a little unsatisfying, though it is difficult to see how Jan Hammer could have pulled it off differently.
on 13 February 2012
This is the definitive sound of the 80's decade for me. Jan Hammer even inspired me to go on and make my own music, eventually. Haunting melodies accompanying well structured story lines on still, in my opinion, the best ever TV show. I can remember every episode each piece of music is from and the track 'Clues' still sends shivers down my spine! Only Vangelis can claim to equal the synth work of Micheal Mann's chosen composer. Also well worth a listen is 'Shadow in the Dark'. But to be honest the whole album sparkles with gems from the synth of Jan- it's great to get a collection that is the scoring of the show, rather than tracks thrown in from other artists (who can forget the ruddy Phil Collins tunes in the episode 'Phil the Shrill' in which he starred - his acting was always better than his music )- the only outside track I'd have thrown on as a bonus would have been from the episode 'Out where the Buses don't run', from dire Straits, 'Brothers in Arms'. A great purchase and one that I shall play over and over - especially on warm sunny days with the top down on the car!
on 11 February 2013
As Sonny Crockett used to describe,when apprehending a major Miami crime lord, 'The one time we reeled in a big one' and this is exactly how to pay homage to this final epic journey of Jan Hammer's infamous Miami Vice scores. This long player sums up the talent,graft and pure unique musical forethought of the gifted Czech. All the classic tech-synth moments we have yearned, to jump from TV to CD have made it -'The Great Boat Race' from episode 'The Great McCarthy',the reggae bass line of 'Cool Runnin' and who could forget the beautiful tones of ' Stones War' as the light aircraft comes into land from episode 'Back in the World', dealing with the aftermath of the vietnam war. This is the only Jan Hammer album you will ever need as tracks from 'Escape from Television','Snapshots' and 'The Best of' are all here too, including 'New York Theme' and 'The Wedding' from other Miami Vice compilations. So grab those wayfarers,put on those espadrils and pretend whatever car you own, is a sleek black Ferrari.......you're there dood!!
DiscJockey.
on 28 February 2012
I have just downloaded Jan Hammer-Miami Vice: The Complete Collection and have wonderful memories of the songs from the series which was one of the best dramas of the 80's. The songs are just as great as they were back then and recommend it to anyone who remembers the series.
on 14 May 2016
This is a great collection, but it doesn't include "Last Call". To me that is the quintessential Miami Vice track, but never released as far as I know.
It is used in two of three episodes and I only recently tracked it down. Of course, for a complete MV experience you also need to add some other artists. (Phil Collins, TIna Turner, Steve Winwood, Chris DeBurgh come to mind).
on 24 July 2014
Superb. (Jan Hammer genius) Best show even to this date. Yeah its 80's. But Miami Vice brought style & class to the boring thatcher yrs of the 80's.
on 10 February 2013
I have been after the Miami Vice music for quite a few years as I had the original three albums (a mix of pop hits from the show and the Jan Hammer music) on tape. I was very excited to stumble on this MP3 collection. Listening to Evan or Flashback bought back great memories of great pieces of music. However this album has been remixed. Unfortunately the iconic track for many "Crockett's Theme" is for me a shadow of the original (which I have on 12" record") and has been found elsewhere on compilation albums such as "Pure Moods". So it is nice to finally be able to listen to many of these tracks again but I do wish the originals had been included rather than these re-mixes.
on 15 September 2014
A Must for vice fans!!!!!!!!
on 15 April 2015