5.0 out of 5 stars A feel-good film for young and old - just fantastic...
Published on 2 Mar 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Why are there no subtitles?????
Published on 12 May 2006 by Mrs. A. C. Liszewski

5.0 out of 5 stars A feel-good film for young and old - just fantastic..., 2 Mar 2004
By A Customer
I first saw Anne of Green Gables many years ago when it was first made. I was only a youngster then and loved it. Now I have the DVD, and love it even more! Anne Shirley is a young orphan girl who is adopted by Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert of Green Gables and soon establishes herself as a girl with a great talent for getting herself into all kinds of scrapes and funny mini-adventures, along with her 'bosom friend' Diana Barry. Her relationship with Gilbert Blythe, the handsome young brainbox of her class develops from a childish rivalry into a beautiful friendship (which continues in the Sequel - but that's another story). The casting for this film was perfect. Though I have not read any of the books, Megan Follows is the perfect Anne of Green Gables as far as I'm concerned, and Colleen Dewhurst gives a flawless performance as Marilla. The other cast members are also wonderful, but the two I've mentioned are exceptionally good. The whole story is set in the beautiful scenery of what is supposed to be Canada's Prince Edward Island. This film is just a fantastic feel-good film that makes you grateful to be alive and grateful for your loved ones, the sort of film that we don't tend to see made anymore - A must-have for the family collection.
The DVD itself is double-sided since the whole production comes to over 3 and a half hours. There's a very brief 'making of' only about 3 minutes long, Megan Follows' audition for the part of Anne (not terribly exciting), some deleted scenes and cast biographies. There's also a director's commentary, though I can only seem to access that on the 2nd side of the disc and can therefore only hear what he has to say about the second half of the film. It may be that I'm just not doing something right, but really I don't care too much about that. It's the film itself that I bought this for and I am not at all disappointed there. A wonderful production all-round (with a beautiful musical score too). Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars theatregoer NZ, 11 Nov 2006
Ann Lockey - See all my reviews
Anne of Green Gables - together with The Sequel and The Continuing Story - have been a joy to view. From the glorious scenery together with superb acting, this is a must for young and old viewers alike. If you haven't yet seen Anne of Green Gables, then you most certainly should now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why are there no subtitles?????, 12 May 2006
Mrs. A. C. Liszewski (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
I have grown up with Anne of Green Gables, having first read the books from the age of 12, and collected all 8 books in the "Anne" Series. I was lucky enough to see the Anne of Green Gables and the Sequel televised on Channel 4 a few years later, and being hearing impaired, was able to watch and follow them as they carried subtitles. I adored both films and have longed for the day I would be able to get hold of them on DVD but when I did, I was horribly disappointed...the DVD's don't have subtitles! I was simply dumbfounded, I don't think I have ever yet purchased a DVD that does not have the option of subtitles for the hard of hearing. I was very disappointed that something so basic as this should be left out. It is a major oversight by the manufacturers and one which I sincerely hope they will take steps to rectify in the very near future. I should add that the omission of subtitles is the only reason I have rated this with only three stars, instead of the five stars I would have given it otherwise.

3.0 out of 5 stars 5* film but poor quality DVD, 25 April 2004
By A Customer
This production - along with its sequel - is one of the finest films evermade. Many reviewers and fans have said the same, often with eloquence andundisguised emotion. All the more sad then, that the quality of the DVD ispoor. It is variably grainy and has occasional sound out-of-sync. In thecase of the second part - the Sequel - more than half the film suffersout-of-sync audio. This is just careless, and nothing to do with videocompression or other technical constraints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Film!, 18 May 2007
Red haired orphan Anne Shirley is adopted by brother and sister, Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert, who wanted a boy, and were amazed when Anne turned up. However they ended up falling in love with Anne, and they're not the only ones. The dashingly handsome Gilbert Blythe loves Anne the moment he sees her, but after one regretful moment, where he teases Anne and calls her 'Carrots', she smashes her slate over his head and refuses to talk to him! After saving her from drowning and giving up his school post for her, however, she decides to forgive him, and they become friends. But that's not enough for Gilbert, he adores her! Set on the beautiful Prince Edward Island, this lovely film sees brave, high spririted Anne grow from a chatterbox child, to a mature teenager. Watch her make friends and foes and settle into the sweet little town of Avonlea.
This is one of the sweetest, funniest, most romantic films I've ever seen. I love Anne, she's my idol! Watch it, you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Much loved movie that'll stand the test of time...., 10 July 2001
By A Customer
This movie was shown on British TV many years ago; recorded by my wife, and loved ever since.
Anne of Green Gables brings out the best in all that watch this moving tale. The music used throughout, really enhances the warm feeling you get from watching this excellent adaption of a classic series of books.
Megan Follows in the lead role was extremely well cast, as she takes us through the life of Anne of Green Gables.
I would highly recommend purchasing the Sequel and Continuing Story, to make a collection worth passing onto generations to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Megan Follows portrays a perfect Anne, 31 Mar 2003
Montgomery's books are so delightful and despite being set some 100 years ago, the concerns and hopes of girls then still have relevance today. I was glued to the series in the eighties and was keen to have it on video but decided to wait until it was put on DVD. My patience was rewarded and this time I sat and watched it with my daughter, it had lost none of its original magic. Megan Follows is just perfect as Anne with an "e" and is quite exceptionally talented with a natural gift for comic timing and melodrama. The only thing that disappoints slightly is that apart from a director's commentary and showing Megan Follows' audition - there are no extras on the DVD as we have come to expect these days. The foreign languages included does NOT include German, strangely since it was made together with the German channel ZDF. I highly recommend it - even my husband and son enjoyed it. We're are looking forward to seeing the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Anne of Green Gables movies, 6 Dec 2003
By A Customer
The movies Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea continue to fascinate viewers worldwide, regardless of age. It is the story of 12-year old orphan Anne (with an e), who by a misunderstanding ends up with Matthew and Marilla, an elderly brother and sister, living on beautiful Prince Edward Island. Not only do they provide a loving home for Anne, but Anne also win their hearts with her warmth and humour. Anne has a fiery mood, and generates an immediate dislike for handsome Gilbert Blythe when he calls her "carrots" for her red hair, which has always grieved her. Gilbert is fascinated by Anne, but she will not give in to his pleas for reconciliation. It is not until many years later, when he is lifethreateningly ill, that she finally realizes that it is he she has loved all along. At the end of the movie they confess their love for each other, and the rest you can guess!
I highly recommend you to see this movie if you have not already done so.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Kindred Spirit, 1 Sep 2000
By A Customer
Anne spelled with an "e" used to be my childhood favourite 15 years ago in Greece. I now live in London and seeing the video for sale I bought it and watched it the very same day with my husband. It brought back all the memories I had while I was watching it in the living room sofa of my then home. My husband a big action movies fun, absolutely loved it. It is a story that speaks to everybody's heart and to Anne's "kindred spirits".

5.0 out of 5 stars Why pick up the DVD version of "Anne?" For the commentary, 22 July 2004
Amazon Customer (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I picked up the DVDs for the first two "Anne of Green Gables" series after seeing the musical version of the story in Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island during our honeymoon. I lucked out because the DVDs have been out less than a month. The actual film, of course, is worth 5 stars all by itself and is a classic adaptation of a beloved novel, so what I want to talk about is why Anne's fans should pick up the DVD version as well.
There are cast bios, previews of the other "Anne" works by Sullivan films, and some production stills. However, the chief charms of the DVD version are the following: First, there is Megan Follows' audition for the part of Anne, which is fascinating to see her first attempts at nailing the character of Anne Shirley. You will notice considerably changes in her actual performance, but the raw talent is amply displayed. Second, there are missing scenes, most of which have to do with the wife of Reverend Allen. It seems the production was co-produced by a German company and so there was this extended subplot with Mrs. Allen, played by a German actress, that was fully integrated into the Germany version of "Anne of Green Gables." Third, there is Directors Commentary from Kevin Sullivan and the film's editor, although the latter is there mainly to given the director someone to talk to during the almost four hour film.
The commentary is certainly fascinating, as we find out where certain scenes were short (mostly around Toronto, but some on Prince Edward Island), when scenes were shot (Megan would have to play Anne at 16 in the morning and 12 in the afternoon), as well as great stories about Colleen Dewhurst leaving a scene about to explode in laughter or adding a line.
However, for all these fascinating tidbits about the production you will find yourself surprised from time to time that Kevin Sullivan often does not have a clue about the story of Anne and why it works. He expresses surprise, for example, that audiences find the scene where Anne thanks Matthew for the dress with puffed sleeves to be so emotional. Sheesh. She is looking at him with absolute love and devotion in her eyes and he says, "Don't you like it." Of course it gets to you. But not Sullivan apparently.
Still, the commentary is first rate and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it and using it to track down sites we intended to visit in Toronto on our way back home (including THE BRIDE itself!). Finally, there are some behinds the scenes clips. Warning, this was a television news story on the production and is not the excellent behind the scenes documentary that aired on PBS. Obviously, my only complaint with this DVD is going to be the exclusion of that documentary, which, I supposed, belonged to PBS and not Sullivan productions. So, I know that most of you reading this not only already have "Anne of Green Gables" on videotape, you have had it for a long time. I am just here to tell you that picking up the DVD version as well is worth the additional expenditure.

Anne of Green Gables [DVD] [1986] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]