5.0 out of 5 stars Rhythm and passion
This is quite simply Peter Gabriel's masterpiece. It encapsulates all that is magical about his music; his love of rhythm, his ear for melody, his love of all musical forms, especially those of Africa. The music is eery and passionate, quiet and immense, bold and beautiful. No home is complete without a copy of this work; I bought it on vinyl in 1989 and then again on...
Published on 27 Oct 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent listen
Didn't buy this for myself but got it for my Mum's Christmas. I have heard it and although not my thing, it is undoubtably well produced with some atmospheric tracks.
Published 20 months ago by Caleyman

5.0 out of 5 stars Gut feeling, 26 Feb 2013
I heard track, The Feeling Begins, a long time ago and found it 'haunting'. Have been trying to find it for ages.
The whole cd is great - very different.
Would recommend it to people who like slightly unusual music.

5.0 out of 5 stars timeless!., 12 Dec 2012
Timeless piece of music. Unique and brilliant. A true master piece. I,be downloaded the album on my phone, and own the cd aswell. Highly recommended for music lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars a passion for peter gabriel's work, 30 Nov 2012
this album renewed my passion for peter gabriel's music and reminded me of how much i love his work , its timeless

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 3 Mar 2012
Of all the albums in my music collection, I regard Passion as the most important in my musical journey. I don't say this lightly and by this I'm not saying that it's "the best album ever" (I'm of the opinion that such titles are essentially meaningless, just profile-raising devices). Everything has to be regarded within the context of each person's experience, and for me Passion, which I've the great fortune to have known since it was new, has been the single most pivotal album of my life. A masterpiece in itself (I understand that Peter Gabriel considers this to be his finest work), but perhaps more importantly for me it acted as a beautiful doorway through to a world of fantastic music.

Passion is the music that Peter Gabriel composed for Martin Scorsese's film The Last Temptation Of Christ, it is a powerful, coherent body of pieces by itself and watching the film is not a prerequisite to appreciating it (I saw the film in the early 90's, hoping that its effect upon me might be as profound as the soundtrack, but for me this album overshadows the film by a long stretch). Peter Gabriel's vision for this work was very ambitious: epic soundscapes peopled by musicians rarely experienced within the cosy confines of the typical movie soundtrack, and far beyond the scope of the vast majority of popular music.

Here Peter Gabriel played an array of synthesizers and other electronics, including the Fairlight sampler, provided occasional, discreet vocals, a little flute and piano, and percussion. Joining him were numerous musicians and singers from north and west Africa, including the stellar vocals of Youssou N'Dour and Baaba Maal, the Indian Sub-continent and the Middle East, as well as fellow sound-architects David Rhodes and David Bottrill, and an English boys choir, amongst many others. Hossam Ramzy's intricate layers of percussion and Shankar's otherworldly soaring double-violin are both intrinsic to the album. The title track, at 7.36 the longest individual piece, embodies the spirit of the album as a whole, and features transcendent Qawwali singing from Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. "Sandstorm" evokes images of a procession of people battling through furious flying sands, coming in and out of view, resolutely moving forward. "Before Night Falls" is gorgeous and gentle, delicate finger cymbals and tabla trace an airy framework over which ney flute dances, echoed and then superseded by brooding double-violin. There is also an avant-garde element at play in repeating samples and unconventional patterns, as with the haunted "Troubled" and the fragmented flutes of "Gethsemene". More familiar spaces to a western ear appear amongst these converging fusions of electronica and ethnic folk music, in particular on the two versions of "With This Love", the first led by oboe and coranglais, the second by the boys choir.

I can trace backwards from here in time to other east-meets-west musical fusions from my childhood that perhaps steered me towards Passion, pop songs like "The Lunatics Have Taken Over The Asylum" by Fun Boy Three, "Ever So Lonely" by Monsoon, "Living On The Ceiling" by Blancmange, and onward to Peter Gabriel's earlier albums, and the questing Kate Bush, but this was the moment for me when the doors burst wide open and I felt compelled to really go exploring, leading initially to checking out the excellent accompanying compilation Passion Sources, then onward from there, keeping abreast as Realworld Records began to blossom, and going off exploring beyond its bounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 27 Mar 2006
I only discoverd this album by accident in the late 90's whilst on a trip to Holland. Being a (relatively new) huge fan of Peter Gabriel's later albums (So, Us - both excellent by the way) I was intrigued by this album - thinking for some reason that it may be similar to So or US. Boy was I wrong! Instead it was quite possibly the most amazing instrumental album I had/have come across and has led me to a whole new world of instrumental/ambient music.
Every piece of music on this album is amazing, and for those budding amateur muscians out there, this album demonstrates the creativeness possible with simple layering of sounds and samples (though nothing about the making of this album was simple I'm sure)
If you enjoy this album then I also strongly recommend getting Long Walk Home - Music From Rabbit-Proof Fence (also by Peter Gabriel) which although slightly different (in a darker way) from Passion is still a brilliant instrumental album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unassailable History-making Art, 23 Mar 2011
After so long, I had expected a CD version packed with extras - digitally re-mastered with a PC interactive element, say. This overdue re-release allows those of us who bought the Vinyl double-album last time round (1989) to listen to this masterwork again without having to dig out or rent obsolete bulky hi-fi equipment. Even without extras, this is well worth the price. Logging the tracks into one's ipod library, there was scarcely one I could mark down to a 4-star - in fact, albums like this beg for a 10-point yardstick to seperate the truly brilliant from the merely very good. I found myself listening to whole tracks as I ripped them, and replaying several of them endlessly, especially the more overtly devotional sounds of the two "With This Love"s.

I think this is a work of art of historical merit - this will be listened to and appreciated for hundreds of years, if our civilisation lasts. It is rare that you can say that about pop-music, but this album changed musical history. It has to do with the intrinsic power of the source material (the Gospels) when taken seriously as something to create music about, and not just the idea of fusing world music and prog-rock long-form ambitiousness. This album inspired a new genre of epic progressive electronica and fusion music, as well as changing the landscapes of both film-scoring (e.g. the Gladiator score) and worship music and methods for modern churches.

Forget history, however. What matters is how this music makes you feel, and the emotional and (for the informed, and brave) spiritual voyage it allows you to take. Here is an insight into hope in the midst of darkness and defeat, and transformation in defiance of the mundane and meaningless. He is Risen: Alleluiah!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 July 2014
Great music, never seen the movie but adore the soundtrack

4.0 out of 5 stars OK but not as memorable as I hoped., 5 May 2014
W. Osborne (UK) - See all my reviews
I got this as reviewers constantly rave about it. It's OK with some good tracks and fine musicians but I wouldn't consider it outstanding. Maybe works well with the the film which I haven't seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Peter Gabriel's Passion!!, 12 April 2014
Pushkin (Pinner, Middx, UK) - See all my reviews
I first discovered Peter Gabriel's Passion - Music for "The Last Temptation of Christ" living in the States in 1992 I think and have loved it ever since, I bought the CD again as my old CD has been taken all over the place and is looking decidedly worse for wear as it has been played so many many times! It is a wonderful sound track and just terrific as music without any visuals (wasn't that keen on the film but love love love the CD). A wonderful array of musicians creating this marvellous CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is amazing., 15 Mar 2014
K. J. Buckland (UK) - See all my reviews
I love Peter Gabriel's music, so I'm maybe a bit biased, this is amazing though.
I'm currently studying for a music degree, and I'm fascinated by production and the use of non-western instrumentation in modern music. This album has it all for me, great production, and amazing instrumentation.

Passion - Remastered
Passion - Remastered by Peter Gabriel (Audio CD - 2002)