5.0 out of 5 stars The simple stuff is always the best!, 17 April 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Knievel Is Evil (Audio CD)
I love rock, everything from 80's prog through to insane thrash. Over the last few years I have begun to notice how boring the majority of mainstream rock has become. This is why I have started to look underground for more interesting material to listen to.
I first heard this band at a gig in Sheffield Uni. I also met them at their Newport show after I had come home to Cardiff. I actually bought my copy off the band and I have to say it is superb. It's been a few years since I found a new album that I can just bang on the hi-fi and crank up the volume without having to flick through the tracks I don't like (take note the Nickelbacks and Limp Bizkits of this world). From the opening bars of Cleaver through to Faster this album does one thing - ROCK!! There's nothing pretentious or convoluted here, nor will you find any keyboards or fancy samples. All you get is 2 guitarists, a bass player and a drummer playing hard and to top it all off they are pretty damn good live to boot.
There was a huge hole in my appetite after the demise of Kerbdog which Wilt, formed from the ashes of Kerbdog, couldnt quite fill. Throat have reminded me just how much I love rock and I thoroughly recommend this album to ANYONE who feels the same way. And if you havent got a clue what I am rambling on about.....BUY THIS ALBUM, IT ROCKS!!!! There is that simple enough for you??

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats the big bands, 22 Oct 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Knievel Is Evil (Audio CD)
This album is a superb collection of simple, well crafted melodic rock songs that far surpasses albums by the Foo Fighters, Inme, and even Nirvana. There is not a single bad song on this album. I am usually quite synical about albums but this album cannot be faulted apart from the lack of solos and the brilliant but misplaced Osmonds cover "Crazy Horses" which should perhaps be a B-side or a bonus track. Songs like "nerves" "gleason" and "spent"are to be listened out for if you need convincing of this bans greatness.
I can't understand why this band haven't made it big - perhaps they're just waiting for a hit single to elevate them into the public eye because they certainly deserve it.

4.0 out of 5 stars This group are destined for big things, 12 Mar 2002
This review is from: Knievel Is Evil (Audio CD)
The albums cover, band name and parental advisory sticker promote what you would think would be an angst nu-metal band but you'd be suprised.
This is a punk band which sit somewhere in between Idlewild and Foo Fighters and there isn't a single swearword insight (the sticker is just to entice young tryhards). They are melodic and not too heavy and easily susceptable to the mainstream (following in Sum41 of AAF's footsteps). However at the moment they're underground (and lets hope they remain there because i don't want some 12 year old humming to Soho after hearing it on CD:UK)
The music however is much more grown up than similar american trash. The albums available at a great price and the best tracks have to be tracks 4 and 7 with tracks 2/3 and 8 in close contention. Some may argue that all the songs sound similar but thats a criticism of the genre overall.
In conclusion not a 5 star masterpiece like anything by Idlewild or At The Drive-In but as far as melodic punk rock goes its a winner (and they're british!).

Knievel Is Evil
Knievel Is Evil by Throat (Audio CD - 2002)