5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting, sublime and melancholy oeuvre., 26 Mar 2002
This review is from: Stone Flower (Audio CD)
For the fool who might dismiss bossa nova as 'cheesy', this album is an education. Discover a dark, enigmatic music of the soul. An album rich in haunting melodies, replete with an intoxicating beauty, energy and langourous calm.
Jobim's enchanting melodies coupled with Deodato's lugubrious arrangements ensure this as a must-have. Airto and Joao Palma keep a consistent, tight, and intricate rhythym flowing , with Ron carter's bass pounding inexorably throughout.
The highlight of this for me is the sprawling 'Brazil' or even the poignant 'Amparo', polar opposites of Jobim's compositional genius.
Seek this album out before tackling 'wave' and 'tide'.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 17 April 2012
B. Waruna Gomis (Sri Lanka) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stone Flower (Audio CD)
I have a few one Jobim Cd before this, but this CD is a wonderful artsy album.
The music is very melodic and the songs are very floral (in a Gothic south-American way, if you can understand what I am trying to mean). I have almost not pulled out the previous Cd as this one is the best I have heard from Antonio.

Bravo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jobim at his best, 20 July 2013
This review is from: Stone Flower (Audio CD)
A great CD. If you do not have other Jobim albums you might want to start with various "Best Of's" as this one does not include Girl From Ipanema, Desafinado, Wave etc but it is really magic all the way through, mainly instrumental with a few Jobim vocals on Brazil (the only non-Jobim compo). I re-purchased Wave recently and this is a great "follow-up".

5.0 out of 5 stars Stone Flower, 19 Sep 2002
Mr. T. Faithfull (Hastings, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stone Flower (Audio CD)
I first heard this album as an LP in my Dad's record collection, and I've been unable to get the tunes out my head ever since. I don't know much about jazz, and only have a bit of modern stuff in my collection, but this album is so mellow and melting, it's unbelievable. Think of a gin and tonic or a glass of soft red at the end of a long hard day, the fire roaring in a cosy room, good company, and this is the missing piece. Fantastically relaxing....

4.0 out of 5 stars Great anytime anywhere Jazz, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Stone Flower (Audio CD)
Really like this Artist, good musicians and vocalists, good Music for Daytime and Night,
Love the Artwork too,

5.0 out of 5 stars A warm, mellow and comforting introduction to Jazz, 26 Feb 2002
Mr. T. Faithfull (Hastings, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stone Flower (Audio CD)
I would have to admit that I do not have a lot of Jazz in my collection, but found this record to be
unbelievably relaxing to listen to. It is rich, sophisticated and subtle, and makes the perfect accompaniment to glass of wine and an open fire!

Stone Flower
Stone Flower by Antonio Carlos Jobim (Audio CD - 2002)