5.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable original and atmospheric recordings, 10 April 2010
A. Riley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kurt Weill: Die Dreigroschenoper, Including Alternate Takes And Extra Songs (Audio CD)
Thirty years ago I managed to find an LP with most of these recordings on, in Germany. Since then I have been trying to locate them on CD. My problem has been that none of the other recordings of Dreigroschenoper make my skin tingle the way these do. The minimal accompaniment fits the music perfectly. None of the many other recordings I've listened to have tempted me. Just try the marvellous fragility of this rendering of "Pirate Jenny" to see what I mean.
But for me the supreme treasure on this album is the inclusion of Brecht songs sung by the great man himself. Even if you don't understand German, the atmosphere engendered by these tracks is electric. The "Ballad of the inadequacy of human endeavour" is a triumph. Sadly, the detailed booklet does not list the words or translation of the final verse but this is a small omission.
This is 78 minutes of digitally remastered gems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably authentic!, 20 Mar 2013
Mr. Michael Smith (Southend-on-Sea) - See all my reviews
I am a great fan of the Threepenny Opera. So I am already biased. This is really the most original recording of the piece. Wow! It is just so fantastic! I am so glad I bought this CD. I am sure there are other recordings that might be satisfying. But this was recorded around 1930, before the rise of the Nazis, when German cabaret was a fresh and stimulating entertainment. Buy this recording - and enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw, 4 Jun 2013
K. H. Tonge "Ken Tonge" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
There's something in these originals that modern performances lack. You can feel the raw emotions of Pirate Jenny and the boys itching to make mincemeat of foreigners. They must have been desperate times.