5.0 out of 5 stars The candle burns bright!
Published on 17 Mar. 2002 by JustACheapShopper

3.0 out of 5 stars Magnum Force? Or Just Hard Rain?
The question is simple. Will this album satisfy the Magnum faithful who have waited patiently since 1994's excellent "Rock Art" for some new Magnum music. The answer is not so clear cut.
Published on 23 April 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars The candle burns bright!, 17 Mar. 2002
This review is from: Breath Of Life (Audio CD)
Considering that I am a straight down the line early to mid Magnum is best freak plenty of people are going to be surprised when I say that Breath of Life is almost my favourite ever Magnum album! It seems that a lot of Magnum fans are struggling with various aspects of the reborn band and I can certainly understand some of the difficulties that are being experienced in those dark, sound filled rooms. Yes, the production is puzzlingly poor in places and yes, some of the drums are pale shadows of reality. However I urge everyone who places this CD into a player to plug themselves into the soul rather than the surface of this record. Once you do, I can almost guarantee that your jaw will drop in recognition of an absent genius returned. Again let me state my corner - to me, Magnum equals Les Morts Dansant, Soldier of the Line, So Cold the Night, Wild Swan... and I think Breath of Life captures the spirit that breathed within the walls of those and many other Magnum anthems. The riff that pins Face of an Enemy down in sweet merciless grandeur rivals the dance of the Vigilante. The emotion in Bob's voice as he begs one and all to Let Somebody In wrenches that very same gasp from the being that was uttered when the Sacred Hour was first spent. The return of Mark Stanway reminds us of the true joy of a beautiful melody played with fervent talent and genuine pleasure. Breath of Life gives to us, in my honest opinion, some of the most 'Magnum' music of all time. Bob's voice is more than ever like that last shot of fiery cognac from the dusty yet shining bottle that has been on the shelf for just the right number of echoing years. Tony's guitar playing is among the most emotive he has ever laid down in a studio. And the songs themselves drip with class, both instrumentally and lyrically. Without a doubt this is Tony's best set of songs since Wings of Heaven and as time tests them they may well measure up to the very best. Long may this Breath of Life blow.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great return for one of Britains finest Rock bands, 26 Feb. 2002
This review is from: Breath Of Life (Audio CD)
It's been a long wait since Magnum's last album, 1994's Rock Art. Although guitarist and songwriter has been busy with 2 Hard Rain albums and vocalist Bob Catley releasing 3 of his own solo album, they have not lived up to the sheer class of Magnum.
Is it any good? It's classic, full of classy hooks and great choruses. The album showcases Clarkin's superb and criminally underrated songwriting ability and Catleys amazing Rock vocals. Long time keyboard player Mark Stanway is still in the band and as always plays a great part in the bands sound.
Standout tracks for me are, "Everyday", which is a classic Magnum rock number with a great chorus.
"Dream about you", a Rock ballad of the very finest.
And "That Holy touch" a great funky rock number.
What I'm trying to say is buy this album it's a great Rock album by a band that have never been as successful as they should have been.
For Magnum fans don't expect "Wings of Heaven 2", it's more in the vain of "Sleepwalking" and "Rock Art."
Still great though.

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return, 10 Feb. 2003
Philip Cass "sheikyerbouti, UAE" (Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breath Of Life (Audio CD)
I have been waiting for a new Magnum album for 10 years and waiting to see them live for 20, so it was a real pleasure to be able to fulfil both ambitions within 24 hours. I saw the band at the University of East Anglia in Norwich on December 9 and they lived up to my expectations completely. The next night I flew back to Abu Dhabi and, having been kept waiting in line for an hour, just had time to race for the gate. On the way, I saw a CD shop, dashed in - and lo and behold there was the new album in a slipcase with three extra live tracks. I played it as soon as I got home. On first listening I was a little disappointed, but it has grown on me. I think some of the heavier tracks are forgettable, but the powerful ballads and outbreaks of pomp glory are all there. "Still" is my favourite track.
So, thanks to the band for a great concert and a great new album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Magnum Force? Or Just Hard Rain?, 23 April 2002
This review is from: Breath Of Life (Audio CD)
Magnum's problem is the same as any band that have been around a few years. Their audience splits between those that are happy to see some growth and development of style (in truth probably the minority) and those who expect the band to stick to a tried and tested formula. This record, in keeping with latter releases, has a foot in both camps and therefore may not totally satisfy either.
Superb songs such as "Everyday", "Just Like January" the title track and, to a lesser extent, "Night After Night" are arm waving, big chorus style epics that us Magnum-heads love. The punchy pop sensibility of "Still" is also not unlike "classic" Magnum and is a joy to behold.
What is left is probably where the controversy starts, dividing as it does into ballads and some pretty slamming, often quite funky, heavy rock.
For me the ballads are the weak point. They are not terrible, but they simply don't come close to the high water marks of the past
Although some of them are a bit "disjointed", the hard edged stuff is really growing on me. But the problem is that while many of the Magnum hallmarks are present, there is a feeling that many of these tracks (the ballads included) would be just as at home on a "Hard Rain" record. Not that Hard Rain were at all bad - just that they were not Magnum. To me it feels like just enough has been done to turn the "Magnumometer" to a setting that Bob Catley is happy with and it remains to be seen whether he is suffiently satisfied to make this a permanent reunion.
In summary this is a solid comeback record - in several places it is every bit as good as the best of the past. It maybe lacks a bit of consistency, but what the hell. This album does the Magnum legacy no harm at all and the rock world is a better place for having them around.

3.0 out of 5 stars In and Out the Breath of Life, 7 Dec. 2002
P. S. Co-head "lordofinsight" (Midlands England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breath Of Life (Audio CD)
Like so many reviewers I was a big fan of them in the eighties and early ninties, buying all Bob Catleys, hard rain, etc, etc, so when the band got back together I was expecting great things. What we got was reliable and nothing out of the ordinary. Compared to Bob Catleys Legends CD it was poor. But as die hard fans do we ride the highs and lows of our favourite bands hoping for those sparks which light the emotions inside us.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Master Is Back, 25 Feb. 2002
Mr. I. Williams (Port Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breath Of Life (Audio CD)
Well it has been a while, but it was worth the wait. This is a great new album from the masters of power melodic rock.
Opening track "Cry" is a safe bet for opener at their forthcoming gigs. Great intro and rocky to boot. Clarkin certainly hasn't lost his touch when it comes to writing good rock songs.
The new material has a feel of the old Magnum, but has been kicked into the 21st Century.
A couple of good ballad type songs in the vain of Bon Jovi etc. balance up the heavier, rockier tracks.
Bob Catley seems to have got better as a singer with more range to his voice, probably attributable to his solo material which had an adventurous feel to it.
An all round great rock album, even better if you're a Magnum fan like me. I'll definitely be singing my head off at the Garage, Glasgow on March 7th.

3.0 out of 5 stars How doe this album compare?, 23 May 2002
This review is from: Breath Of Life (Audio CD)
The long awaited Magnum Ablum is here and I was very eager to go out and buy this album. I counted the days and when the day came I was at the music store, paid my money and rushed home to play it.
Out of all the tracks 3 stood out. Still,
Breath Of Life + After The Rain. For me these where the songs that stood out. The others didn't remind me that I was listening to Magnum.
I've been a fan since 1987 when I was given Vigilante. Since then each alblum had a different distinct sound yet the lyrics and the spirit of the albums where the same. Not so with this one and although I wasn't completely disappointed I was left with a a question in my mind...have they lost the 'Magnum spirit'? That I will leave up to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give Tony a Knighthood!, 4 April 2002
This review is from: Breath Of Life (Audio CD)
Magnum are indeed back again, with possibly their freshest and best album to date. From the opening belter 'Cry' right through the 12 excellent studio tracks, the sound is big, the sound is unmistakably Clarkin, the sound is British Pomp at its best!! 'Breath of Life' marks Magnum's return to form in the 21st century, I just can't wait to see what the magical pen of Clarkin will produce next! 10/10 lads!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Come Back Album By Britains Best Rock Act, 28 Feb. 2002
This review is from: Breath Of Life (Audio CD)
They say the wheel will always turn a full circle.
Hey, it just did !! What a fantastic album Breath Of Life really is. A great sound, really modern, but the great choruses and structure of Magnum epics. Catchy hook liners and unmistakable Clarkin guitar riffs that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand tall, all this from a band thats been away for so long !! Tony Clarkin has just made history one more time. Well done guys
Don`t question whether to buy it, just do it. Move with the times and celebrate a come back of Magnum, the guys from Brum.

2.0 out of 5 stars I need a breath of life after this..., 30 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Breath Of Life (Audio CD)
Ok, title maybe abit harsh, but from someone who loved earlier Magnum stuff I can't really recommend this.

For me it's just too lifeless, breath of life and just like january are ok but rest just seems to pass over.

I guess it's possible if you particularly liked the ballad style of song from magnum you may get some joy from this and certaintly give it a go, but for me it's just forgettable.

I'd point people to the earlier brilliant classics such as Vigilante from magnum instead.

Breath Of Life
Breath Of Life by Magnum (Audio CD - 2010)