Format: Audio CD|Change

I certainly enjoyed hearing Anthony Stewart Head sing bits of songs on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," covering "Green Eyes" and "Freebird," not to mention the infamous musical episode. However, if you expect to hear Head strumming an acoustic guitar and singing on "Music for Elevators" you are going to be surprised by the fact that these are mostly original songs by Head and George Sarah with music that is much more techno pop than anything else (although there are some strong jazz elements at times and an acoustic guitar song, "Talk to You," that is the exception to the rule and my favorite song on the album). There is a duet of the Beatle's "We Can Work It Out" with Holly Palmer and "Last Time," written by Joss Whedon, which raises immediate speculation as to whether this song was intended for "Once More With Feeling": the lyrics would suggest that if it was it was intended for Spike, or maybe Riley, if the musical had been done a season earlier. If you look over the liner notes you will see that James Marsters, Amber Benson and Allyson Hannigan appear on some of the tracks, but they are not really featured enough to be recognizable. In fact, on many of these tracks it is the music rather than the vocals that stand out. Taken altogether "Music for Elevators" is an ironic title, which offers a collection of music that will expand the musical horizons of Head's many "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" fans. This is not especially music for that first cup of coffee in the morning either, but I do not think anybody is going to be terribly disappointed by what they find here. Still, any time Head wants to record an acoustic album covering songs like we heard him do on "BtVS," my prediction is that most of us would be even more impressed (hint, hint, hint).
on 20 August 2002
I dont normally write reviews but i really wanted to comment on this album. Being a fan of BtVS and ASH I instantly fell in love with his voice when I heard him singing on the show. This album is really easy to listen to, with great songs such as Fun of the Fair, Last Time, Babies and Owning My Mistakes. The music is good but can be a bit overpowering on Tony's voice - I really hope Tony gives us an album with just him singing along with a guitar. But if your a fan of Anthony Stewart Head like me, you'll love it whatever! Buy it now!
on 10 August 2002
Recieved my copy of music for elevators today and am hugely surprised. Anthony Head has a fantastic voice, the two hidden tracks were a great surprise and it was good to hear the song from 'once more with feeling' again. (Nice to hear James, Alyson and Amber too!!)
Highly recommended!!! Bring on the next album!!!
on 28 June 2002
At last! Music for Elevators is available on Amazon.co.uk and not before time too.
Being a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and it was forgone conclusion that I was excited by the prospect of this album. However, regardless of my Slayer pre-occupation this album is stunning and clearly stands up on it's own merits.
Tony Head and George Sarah have weaved an unusual album. Influences seem varied from electronica to jazzy from darkness and guilt to light and love. We travel from the mysterious 'What Can You tell me?' through an fascinating arrangement of 'We Can Work it Out' to haunting 'End Game'
Buffy fans will recognise the voices James Marsters and Amber Benson who provide backing vocals on several songs. Keep listening after the end of 'End Game'!
Tony Head has a beautifully expressive voice making the whole thing just even more listenable.
I find the album quite addictive. The lyrics are intelligent, inspiring, poignant and poetic. I could listen over and over - and in fact I will...
Highly recommended.
Bright Blessings
Whitehorse
on 19 May 2003
I bought this knowing that ASH could sing as I am a Buffy fan. I was delighted to discover other members of the cast on the album and that there were extra songs at the end. The lyrics are thought provoking and I found myself humming along after the first airing which is usually a sign of a good album. Some of the songs reminded me of Depeche Mode and David Bowie. If you like synth music, this is for you. It's more than that though. The song "Last Time" would have been perfect for Spike to sing about Buffy. Good album. Buy and enjoy!
on 14 April 2008
This album is odd. As the title of this review suggests, it will polarise opinion right down the middle.

The first time I listened to this I felt the same way as the previous reviewer - I wanted some 'easy listening' soft-rock ballads as Anthony's cameos on Buffy promised, and this is anything but. There are a couple of guest voices from Buffy co-stars, but that is as far as the connection goes and I was faintly disappointed.

Then I listened to it again ... and haven't stopped. I had the same feeling you get as a child at Christmas when you don't get the gift you really wanted, but then on Boxing Day you begin to discover that what you actually got was even better. This album is completely unique and utterly indulgent. I would say it has a contemporary feel, but contemporary to what? There are faint echoes of David Bowie, Pet Shop Boys, Stereophonics, Keane, Portishead, but each track has its own flavour. The dissembled reworking of the Beatles classic 'We Can Work it Out' is shocking and unnerving ... also inspired and masterful.

If you want something soothing and familiar then this album is not for you; if you want something that will make you sit up and actively listen then give it a go. My advice would be to buy it with no preconceptions and don't judge it on the first airing. Sometimes the unexpected can be unwelcome, but sometimes it is a pleasant surprise. For me it was the latter.
on 11 February 2004
ASHead knows the score, hardcore, on the dance floor.
Much better then you'd expect and a geniue pleasure to listen to even if as like most of the reviewers I'd have liked a few more Who covers.
He also sings in french which is certainly as amusing as it sounds it would be.
The music is a little simplistic MOR sounding, and at times and ASHead wanders dangerously close to Sting territory but what can you do? Next time I'd like to see Squarepusher or maybe Kid 606 behind the console and I think he could really make the break into the IDM big league.
I'd kill to see him live.
on 3 July 2004
I bought this expecting to hear a few mediocre ballads. Ballads it ain't - what you get is so much better than that! The lyrics are amazing, particularly on tracks such as 'All the fun of the Fair'. The only thing which may put some listeners off is the sometimes over powering backing - but I found that added to the individual style ASH is creating, and it was only an issue for some of my friends. This album is a soundtrack to life, and the final ghost track is moving - It really touches a chord in me, and I hope it does in others too. Enjoy.
on 27 February 2003
I didn't expect much from this album. But having seen 'Giles' perform on the Buffster show, I knew he could sing and I thought it would at least be an interesting album. How right that turned out to be.
The musical arrangements and the voice of Anthony Stewart Head are very reminiscent of David Bowie on the movie soundtrack of 'Labyrinth'.
Tell you what, Think 'Everything But The Girl' with David Bowie on vocals and you have the general idea of what the album is like.
Interestingly, there is only one acoustic track on the whole album.
Definitely not a waste of money. I'd give it a 3-4 star rating.
In short, it's not brilliant but it is good. And if you like the musical styles I have mentioned, you definitely won't be disappointed. Enjoy !
on 9 June 2005
First off, I am indeed a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The program did bring Anthony Stewart Heads voice to my attention and it was one of the major factors behind my decision to purchase this album. That said, I am also a fan of good music and as much as I wanted to fall in love with this album, I just cant. For starters, this album really doesn't know where it belongs. The music itself is as fine an example of mediocrity at work as you will find anywhere which isn't the main problem. The main fault is that this sub standard lounge/jazz music is brought to the fore above Heads raw and passionate vocals. Who is George Sarah? I've never heard of him and I certainly didn't buy this album because of him, I bought it so that I could listen to Heads impressive voice and harmonies and I cant even hear them because of the muddled accompaniment. The majority of songs here are overly complicated and try to be far too clever for their own good and they fail spectacularly on several attempts.
Now, the album isn't without its good points. By the time track 9 came around (Talk To You), I was despondent and ready to hurl the CD through my car window, but this track picked up a little and I could actually hear Head belting the song out. Track 11 (Last Time) followed this trend and actually improved even more over "Talk To You". At this point I checked the inlay of the CD. Surprise surprise, Sarah has little to do on either of these tracks with both music and lyrics accredited to Head and Joss Whedon respectively.
My advice, dump Sarah, take Anthony Stewart Head, stick him in a chair, stuff a guitar in his hands and say "Sing Boy", because that's what people want and that's what he is exceptionally good at.