5.0 out of 5 stars Big Beat revival?
Published on 8 Feb 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars Should there be a third one???
I sidelined this album years ago when it came out. But it was put in my recommendations so I felt I had to put why up till now I still haven't bought it. Pap. I fully agree with 90% of the reviews out there. They lost the edge (or lets be fortunate they don't have The Edge! arf!)after How to operate....
Don't get me wrong, I've seen them live and they rocked, still...
Published on 28 May 2005 by agitatedsquirrel

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Beat revival?, 8 Feb 2002
This review is from: Don't Be Afraid of Love (Audio CD)
The Lo-Fi's, one of the members of the 'Big Beat' scene of a few years back, have retuned with an eclectic album. Don't Be Afraid of Love contains collaberations with Greg Dulli of the Afghan Whigs, Jamie Liddel of Warp Records and Bootsy Collins. The album has a mixture of dark and down-tempo tunes; think Primal Scream of XTRMNTR, with up-lifting, almost pop tracks. The single Lo-Fi's in Ibiza and Feel What I Feel are the sort of tracks that could give the Lo-Fi's the much needed push to commercial success; something they have enjoyed in the US. The latter is almost disco-like and extremely catchy. Their use of collaberations, forced somewhat upon them by the departure of their lead singer, Dave "The Wrekked Train", has allowed the group to diversify in new directions. Overall, this is one of the most entertaining albums this genre has produced and will satisfy old fans and hopefully bring in new ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lo-Fi's are back!!!!, 20 Feb 2002
This review is from: Don't Be Afraid of Love (Audio CD)
After being blown away by How To Operate With A Blown Mind I was shocked when I arrived at a Lo-Fi's gig the night that The Wrekked Train had left the band. I didn't know what to expect but the Lo-Fi's played one of the best sets I've ever seen and although it was a long wait I knew they wouldn't let us down when they finally released the new album. Dave's distinctive vocals are missed at times but Don't Be Afraid of Love is a superb album with some of their best work (so far...). Deep Ellum...Hold On, Feel What I Feel and Tied to the Mast being the early highlights of a fine bunch. Keep on keepin' on!

4.0 out of 5 stars confusing but probably brilliant, 23 Jan 2004
This review is from: Don't Be Afraid of Love (Audio CD)
got this album when it came out (because I thought Blown Mind was great) and didn't play it much or really get it.
however about a year ago I stuck it on again and now it's really grown on me. I liked the single Sleeping Faster anyway but some of the other tracks are confusingly ace.
the standout track in this regard is Feel What I Feel. is it simply an awful piece of 80s pop cheese, or is it an insanely inspired reworking of that kind of sound? I can't make my mind up but given that I keep listening to it I guess it must be the latter by default. Lo Fi's in Ibiza is also a pretty class tune.
overall it isn't as good as Blown Mind as an album. they do miss the wrekked train's stuff and they will never match Battleflag. but there's enough of that feeling that they will take tracks off in a random direction to make it interesting to anyone who liked the first album I reckon.

5.0 out of 5 stars unsung genius, 1 Oct 2010
Gavin R. Turnbull (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Be Afraid of Love (Audio CD)
I hadn't listened to the lo fi's for years. The first album is great but I think the second album slightly passed me by. What a pleasant surprise. Its been on repeat in the car all this week and its a real stone cold forgotten classic. I have been singing Lo Fi's In Ibiza ( check the video on You Tube, is's excellent) at high volume much to everyone's annoyance. My 2 year old loved it too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Should there be a third one???, 28 May 2005
This review is from: Don't Be Afraid of Love (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, I've seen them live and they rocked, still having the same kind of funky vibe - but the album was a big let down, not just to me, but to the kind of music they were known for making.
They sold out for some ballads man. Ballads! And from the 80's at that. I don't want ABC. I don't even want some Kraftwerk rehash. i wanted the lo-fi's back, but to me this album may as well have been made by another band.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums of all time!, 18 Jun 2003
This review is from: Don't Be Afraid of Love (Audio CD)
Sorry, but I can't see what the last reviewer is on about. This is an incredible album and deserves a full rating. The problem with these reviews is of course that they are purely based on ones own opinion so it is unfair to argue against somebody else’s point of view but this was enough to make me post for the first time ever. Yes I have all of the All Stars collection and yes Blown Mind is really good, but it is not as accessible as this and it is no way as varied. This is a perfect progression and a perfect album from start to finish – nuff said…

2.0 out of 5 stars All that wait was it worth it....ermmmmm no!, 1 Mar 2002
This review is from: Don't Be Afraid of Love (Audio CD)
Ive waited years for the follow up of "Blown Mind" in anticipation of more of the same and all we get is a watered down version of something the Groove Armarda might produce. It starts off well enough but slowly gets more like a bad 808 State impersonation. The first album was new, hard and made you feel like you had seen a seedy film and left you feeling guilty about listening to it. This offering has none of the edge and all but 3 songs would never get onto the first Album. maybe they miss the punk style of wrekked train and the other one sadly they dont have the sense to get back together to conquer the world which was there, until the split, for the taking.
Blown mind is one of my favourites albums and I can only go a few weeks without listening to it, this sadly will not have the same effect.
Lads, have a drink, smoke whatever but get back together and enlighten us again. Thinking about it its not worth a three, lets change it to a two!!!

Don't Be Afraid of Love
Don't Be Afraid of Love by Lo Fidelity Allstars (Audio CD - 2002)