5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage instruction that works today
Published on 23 Sep 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Over rated old fashioned golf book
Had heard this was a classic and one of the best golf books ever. I am sure it was great in its day but there are lots of modern texts that cover the golf swing a lot better than this eg Jim Hardy's book, Swing Like a Pro etc. This book would probably be quite good for a complete beginner though as it covers the main basics of the golf swing ok.
Published on 19 April 2009 by Golf Mad Harvey

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage instruction that works today, 23 Sep 2001
By A Customer
I had been trying to get hold of this book for some time (not since 1957 I should hasten to add) and I wasn't disappointed when it finally arrived. Unlike many modern golf books which have gone overboard on theory and drills the book is clear, concise, easy to follow and SHORT. The diagrams are beautifully drawn and Hogan's instruction is both practical and effective. Throw away all of your golf books apart from this and Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible and your game will improve dramatically. Hogan's philosophy is that golf (for the amateur) is essentially a simple game, and I for one would now agree with him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless genius, 4 May 2006
Richard Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
Hogan quite modestly suggests in his book that his knowledge will be the starting point for future generations of golf swing theory. However, no-one since has been able to offer any more than the concepts laid out in this book.

He was widely regarded as a genius and it doesn't matter how much modern teachers repackage these ideas, Hogan will always be the grandfather of the modern, athletic golf swing. Do not fall it the trap of listening to criticisms regarding Hogan's swing, Hogan himself never suggested his swing was perfect. Read and understand the theories in the book, do not just try to copy Hogan's swing.

This book is beautifully written and illustrated. Buy it, read it again and again, and practice 'til your good!

5.0 out of 5 stars This stands the test of time, 1 Feb 2005
I have a first edition of this book which was bought by my father and contains his handwritten notes and thoughts, and I also have a new version that has mine. If you are serious about golf and love the attention to detail, then this book provides many thought provoking insights which you can try, adapt and think about.
Forget many of the training aids and new sets of clubs - save your money. Buy this book, practice with your existing clubs and spend the money working with a pro that understands. As Hogan himself said, you have to find your own golf swing in the dirt and this book provides you with the stepping stone to do just that. A timeless classic book that you can keep and read for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who truely want to improve., 22 Sep 2003
S. Nicoll "nicolls52" (UK) - See all my reviews
The first point to make about this book is it's age. You have to appreciate when this was written and then apply the thoeries into todays game. This book was years ahead of it's time and will genuinley help you improve - if you digest and implement what is being said. I first read this book in 1986 and decided to buy it again recently as I new my game needed an overhaul. Having read through and spending a few weeks patiently practising the drills and movements I started to play some of the best golf in years.
This is not a 'quick fix' manual, nor is it plush with lavish photo's of pro's and courses. It's is a an absolute gem in it's simple presentation which allows you to 100% concentrate on improving your technique.
Ben Hogan was one of the greatest golfers of all time - and this book show's you exactly why.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my game for the better, 21 Jun 2006
Having read this book, now I fully understand the principles of the golf swing and why it has to be how it should to hit further and straighter. This book has really changed my swing. I am 'supposed' to play off 27 and often struggle even to play to my handicap. Now my golf is really improving, pars and bogeys are now common place now rather than double or even triple bogeys. I used to hit my 6 iron 120+ yards. Now I am hitting straighter and reaching 150+ yards. Excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for every golfer !, 22 April 2004
I. D. Brown "ianbrown24" (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a must-read for every golfer out there. Hogan is consideredon of the finest ball strikers of all time, if not THE finest. A totalperfectionist who spent his entire golfing career pursuing excellence andrefining his golf swing. This well-written book distills that knowledgeand experience and presents it with almost unparalleled clarity. Within afew days of reading this book, I was able to identify a couple of realflaws in my golf swing, which, interestingly and rather worryingly, hadnot been pointed out to me by a PGA teaching pro. I immediately set towork on rectifying them and within a week started to experience what itreally feels like to strike a golf ball correctly. Granted, I have a wayto go yet, the journey to a perfect golf swing never ends; however, I doreally feel that playing much better golf is a serious possibility ratherthan a distant, unattainable desire. To get the most out of this book youneed to get real. Stop kidding yourself that you've got a great swing,look long, hard and critically at your golf swing and be prepared to dosome serious work on it. When you've done that, keep doing it. I agreewith another reviewer that Jim McClean's DVD of Hogan's swing greatlycompletements this little gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars COMPELLING, 10 Jun 2002
This is an excellent read for all levels of golfer. The book is so detailed it even explains where the golfer should develop hard patches of skin on their hands ! Readers should be aware that Hogans thoughts on the golf swing differ form other practicioners, so those who follow it's dictates to the letter will find themselves with a distinctive swing. The swing path is much more around the body than many of the modern players more upright swings. The nearest modern player I can think of who comes close is Garcia. In order to fully appreciate the book I also recommend Jim Mcleans video of Hogan.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest book ever, by far, on the golf swing, 19 April 2008
Hogan's book has been continuously in print for over fifty years. Most other golf swing books, in contrast, disappear from print within a year or so. Hogan's book is exceptionally clear and detailed about all the swing fundamentals. Consequently it enables one to figure out, when needs must, what's going wrong with one's swing and how to correct it.
Hogan's book is also unique in demonstrating how each swing fundamental links with the others. Other golf swing books, in contrast, tend towards being just compilations of swing tips. So, where other books provide swing band-aids, Hogan's illuminates and helps develop real understanding.
Hogan's book has been called, rightly in my opinion, 'the bible of the golf swing'. All modern golf swing theorists, as is clear from their writings, merely repackage or add footnotes to Hogan.
Go to the source, to the benefit of both swing and understanding, read Hogan's timeless classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps it simple - and it works!!, 21 Sep 2012
I've been playing golf since January 2012 (about 9 months now), and have bought a few golfing books. On top of that I've watched probably upwards of 100 youtube videos full of 'tips' and 'swing fixes' to try to improve my game. I've been slowly coming on, and even broke 90 once. Overall, I felt like my swing was good, but for some terrible reason my natural shot shape seemed to produce a slice more often than not! I love golf, but I always (repeat always) stepped up expecting left-to-right movement on the ball. So I started to play for it.

Always aim left, and hope for the best.

This is no joke, but after spending a couple of hours reading the first two chapters of this book, holding (not even swinging!) a golf club in the house, and less than 1 hour of pitching & chipping at my course's practice area the next day, I have shot 86, 87 & 88 in the last three rounds. For me, that's HUGE! My best scores ever, and back to back? I didn't even feel like my short game was as good as it could be. Iron after iron, I was flushing dead straight. About 8 or 9 drives I crushed down the middle - massive, high and straight.

It occurs to me now that I was spending so much time looking for fixes for 'my slice' that I hadn't really bothered to really understand the fundamentals!

What Ben Hogan does so well is underline the importance of the basics - the grip, the stance, the way to position your arms etc and I was totally shocked by how little I really knew about the fundamentals (I've not had golf lessons). For example, I thought my grip was good. Ben Hogan's chapter on grip not only showed me how to hold the club, but also what I should be feeling, where the pressure should be applied, and also why it's important to grip it like that for the rest of your swing. He ties it all together so nicely, with relatively little of the biographic passages that riddle so many good golf tuition texts.

In short, within hours of reading the first half of this book, I made some pretty minor changes to the way I approach a shot that (1) all of a sudden saw me hitting the ball dead straight, and (2) took 10 strokes off my round, three rounds in a row!

Now I just can't wait for my fourth round and oh my goodness am I excited about playing other courses! No longer worried about losing balls, or shooting 115 on a challenging course - BRING IT ON!!! Thank you Ben Hogan for keeping it simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hogan's Fundamentals, 30 Aug 2006
Mr. W. Mcconachie (Ellon, Aberdeenshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is probably one of the finest golf books ever written and is as relevant now as it was when Ben Hogan penned it.Clear concise and well illustrated,it would be tremendously helpful to golfers of all abilities giving a clear insight into what they are trying to achieve..... a masterclass literally!!

Five lessons: the modern fundamentals of golf
Five lessons: the modern fundamentals of golf by Ben Hogan (Unknown Binding)
Out of stock