5.0 out of 5 stars A tighter play makes for endless listening
Bring It On was an incredible introduction to Gomez with its quirky ups and downs and spine-tingling Ottewell vocals. Liquid Skin was a great follow-up with Gomez bringing on the long jams. With In Our Gun, Gomez shows us how well they can clean-up.
The songs are so tight and pieced together perfectly that you can listen to "Sound of Sounds" over and over for the...
Published on 8 April 2002 by Steph Hamilton (steph_hamilton...

1.0 out of 5 stars Best British Band of the Last Five Years Run Out Of Ideas
I remember purchasing "Bring It On" upon its release in 1998 and being amazed by the rough, bluesy music that leapt forth at me. The music was rootsy, tuneful, timeless.
Convinced that this was the most inventive British band of the 1990s I couldn't wait for their follow-up. In 1999 Gomez released "Liquid Skin" and it didn't disappoint. Through...
Published on 25 Mar 2002 by lee@allforone.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away, 3 Nov 2002
This review is from: In Our Gun (Audio CD)
I really like Gomez. There's something irrisistable about a home-grown band that critics dislike, but still play great music in spite of it. So when I found they'd released another album, and that the reviewers had sneered at it long and hard, I desperately, desperately, wanted to really like it just as much as I really liked every other Gomez release so far.
I wasn't disappointed.
"Shot Shot" is well and away the best stop-and-start Britpop you are likely to hear this year; "In Our Gun" pulls off the old SFA trick of melding supposedly unmixable music genres seamlessly, as well as giving Dubya a good ribbing; "Ping One Down", "Sound of Sounds", "1000 Times", "Rex Kramer", well...I'll leave those for you to find out about. One thing I've always enjoyed about Gomez is the way in which they continuously change their sound to suit the occasion. Just listen to "Ping One Down", and then melt away as the keyboard madness opens up to the mellow strings of "1000 Times". Never get tired of it.
There are a couple of longeurs, but if anything, they tend to highlight the brilliance of the rest of the album: - "Drench" can be a bit annoying, although it is redeemed by the quirky guitar in the middle. "Ruff Stuff"s archaic keyboard noise pulls it down a bit. Otherwise, excellent, excellent album. Don't listen to the critics! Buy it and make up your own mind!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch!, 18 Sep 2002
This review is from: In Our Gun (Audio CD)
The best British album in terms of concept, originality & application since Abbey Road. One of the few experimental/exploratory albums that actually totally succeeds. Every track is 100%.
When's the next album out?!?

4.0 out of 5 stars Rise In Our Estimation, 26 Jun 2002
This review is from: In Our Gun (Audio CD)
Gomez didn't exactly blow me away with their last album, let's just say that it subtley found its way into my Discman more often than not. However, the new album is a step ahead of the last - something that you often expect from artists, but something that is often not delivered.
Brave new sounds, less dependancy on the old acoustic guitar-driven ballads and refreshing lyrical content sum up the In Our Gun and I for one have had trouble listening to anything else.
A stella effort - I look forward to the next.
m.

5.0 out of 5 stars A STAGGERING MASTERPIECE .........., 24 Mar 2002
This review is from: In Our Gun (Audio CD)
What an unbelievable record. Rarely have a band melded the key elements of melody, rhythm and harmony as perfectly as Gomez do on this record. Their inventive songwriting, fabulous mucisianship and clear, focussed self-production pushes them as close to perfection as is concievable. Bruising rockers, melancholic acoustic numbers and pumped up elctronica all flow together so seamlessly and you wonder why no-one has ever managed to sound like this before. The reason is simple; talent. Not since the Beatles have so many brilliantly talented individuals joined together in one group and made it work so beautifully. This album is a once in a lifetime experience - you may never spend such an important ten pounds again.....unless you see them live........

4.0 out of 5 stars Form is temporate, Class is permanent., 21 Mar 2002
This review is from: In Our Gun (Audio CD)
Gomez are of the highest class. Ever since their debut album, bring it on, they have gone on to produce more and more mesmorising music. Liquid skin ( their last album) was a hard act to follow, but they have done a good job with, In Our Gun. The music on this album is as you would expect from gomez, innovative, punchy, diverse, and expectional vocals throughout. A definite must buy. Recommended songs: Ruff Stuff, In our Gun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guaranteed to be in list of Best of 2002, 12 Mar 2002
This review is from: In Our Gun (Audio CD)
I've heard only a few songs from Gomez prior to this album. Now that I've had a chance to listen to this entire album, I have to admit that all of the hype they've received in the past is well-deserved. They are an immensely talented group with three excellent vocalists. This album contains a very WIDE range of songs.....everything from Ian-Brown electronica sampling to Widespread Panic/Phish jams. Please do yourself a favor.....buy this album and listen to the entire thing in one sitting. You won't believe your ears.

5.0 out of 5 stars great album unfairly maligned, 20 Mar 2002
This review is from: In Our Gun (Audio CD)
Although not as good as Liquid Skin and the sublime Bring It On, this album is still leagues beyond almost everthing else out there. I bought the album, put it on and lay on my bed staring at the ceiling until it finished 50 minutes later occasionally saying things like, ooh this is GOOOD! And it is. From the catchy Shot Shot to the wonderfully sad tititular track, In Our Gun, this album touches all the right nerves. It does lack some of the sublety of their earlier albums, particulaly Bring It On, despite or perhaps because of the huge budget that was obviously spent on its production. Strange electronica which precedes most tracks, but which then fades into the background as soon the guitar kicks in and Ben Ottewells gravel "I've been smoking since ciggaretes were invented" vocals lurch into life (and nobody can lurch quite like Gomez) does not lead to a particulaly balanced sound. This is not exactly the Gomez Kid A. That said, who needs another Kid A? This album will grab you attention from the off and will rarely let it wander. Ignore the occasional mediocre review, this is not a mediocre album. Go buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars their best record yet, 1 April 2002
Gal Uchovsky "eytangal" (Tel Aviv, Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Our Gun (Audio CD)
Don't believe the hype. The British critics are all united against "in our gun". Go figure. The third real Gomez LP is their best yet. They are doing "a-radiohead" but unlike the originals that are pompous, pretentious and highly over-rated, Gomez are the real thing. Their CD is full of great loops and sounds but there are songs too. This is one of the best CD's of 2002, unfortunately if you read the British press you might not get to know it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shotgun, 25 Mar 2002
This review is from: In Our Gun (Audio CD)
The beauty of Gomez is that they sound like - Gomez. This CD is worthy of the Mercury music prize if only they hadnt already released two albums of comparable quality. They make it sound easy to produce these beautiful hooks and riffs, so chilled out the album flows with absolute style. The hairs had only just stopped standing up on the back of my neck from watching them at Leeds festival 2000 and then they go and do it again.
I personally thank Gomez for existing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, but room for improvement, 8 Mar 2002
This review is from: In Our Gun (Audio CD)
First impressions of this album weren't good however, I've listened to it a few times now and I'm starting to appreciate it. It lacks the delicacy and intricacy of the first two albums and 'Machismo EP'. Some of the lyrics are a bit clumsy as too are some of the vocals, not quite carrying off the "deliberately rough" sound. But, it has a fair bit of punch and style and very good use of synths, sometimes reminding me of the Beta Band. Its good but not as good as the old Gomez but then when a band sets such high standards for themselves what can you expect? If this album had been produced by a new band I would definitely rate it highly.

In Our Gun
In Our Gun by Gomez (Audio CD - 2002)