Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 November 2011
Lots of tracks that I have never heard before. This is a fantastic collection of CD'S. I have bought all four.
Magic !!!! If you love Motown, this is for you.
This is a stunning compilation of unreleased Motown tracks. Moreover, the vast majority of the songs are pure, vintage Northern Soul. Despite not having a Northern Soul tag in the title, this is quite simply far superior to any of the glut of Northern Soul compilations available.

The real revelation is Brenda Holloway. All five of her tracks here could (and should) have been huge hits had Motown released them as singles. Of the many highlights, standouts include Barbara McNair's 'Baby a Go-Go', Tammi Terrell's 'All I Do Is Think About You', Gladys Knight's 'Here Are the Pieces of My Broken Heart' (a supreme slice of Northern Soul) and all five tracks by the aforementioned Holloway. Additionally, Chris Clarke does a solid version of Northern Soul's Pièce de résistance - Franks Wilson's 'Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)' (albeit with same backing track).

In summary, this is not mainstream Motown that most people are familiar with. It's much better than that and is easily the best Northern Soul album ...ever.
on 16 August 2012
Another one for taking Motown higher in my estimation. A Cellarful of Motown has really opening my mind to the lost Motown sound, which I thoroughly recommend that anybody who is into Motown should take the time to listen to these and they will come to realise just how much Motown has given to the Music Industry. Listen and absorb the music and appreciate the whole experience, which you will never be disappointed with. Great music and very very enjoyable.
on 14 October 2014
If you're a fan of Motown you will love this collection of tracks that at the time were not thought good enough for release not a bad song on it for me standouts includes Gladys knight & the pips with the gorgeous if you ever get your hands on love & here are the pieces of my broken heart and surely my sugar baby by Frank Wilson was a hit just waiting to happen also the ones by the fantastic four,the monitors,tammi terrell but really not a dud track on it
on 28 August 2013
Great collection of unreleased material from the Motown vaults. All praise to the folks at Universal music for releasing these albums in such great quality recordings. Like all the other reviewers I give this collection five stars for everything : choice of tracks, research information for each track and for not messing with the original tapes. Well done Universal Music. Buy this collection whether you're a Motown fan or not, if you like great music.
on 11 March 2012
This is a excellent album for all Motown lovers. Tracks not heard before, but the unmistakable sound of Motown is there to be heard. Everyone knows the classic tracks and it is fantastic to be able to hear new, un-released tracks from Diana Ross and The Supremes. Stevie Wonder, Four Tops, as well as some artists I had not heard of. Have already purchased volume 2, and cannot wait to get volume 3.If you are a Motown fan, you with love this.
on 19 February 2016
Motown Vaults is we're this fabulous music has been stored,so glad Richard Searling blew the cob webs from these great Motown rejects,it's so hard to believe that so many great tracks were abandoned. There are so many tracks that I love it's hard to pick favourites but Lucky Lucky Man stands out,also Barbara McNair Baby ago go. Go buy this album you won't be disappointed.
on 8 May 2011
I'm so glad I bought this (and A Cellarful of Motown 2) I bought them after listening to a great track 'If You Ever Get Your Hands On Love' by Gladys Knight & The Pips on the BBC Sounds Of The 60s radio program. I've played both albums a lot and love them. The Contours 'I Like Everything About You' is a particular favourite.
on 17 August 2012
After hearing another volume of the 'Cellarful' series I thought I'd add this one to my collection. There were a few tracks that I had not heard before, but was not disappointed. Favourite has to be "All I do is think about you" by Tammi Terrell - awesome. I highly recommend this CD for anyone who is a Motown fan.
on 22 June 2011
Two cd's of classic motown of the day - I bought this as a present for my brother who is an avid motown follower from the day's when these tracks were released, contains 40 tracks on 2 cd's check out the track listing before you buy you would be surprised what you are missing. Great purchase. No complaints yet.