Format: DVD|Change
Price:£29.98+ £1.26 shipping

on 4 April 2003
Having read the book myself as a young child, some twenty years ago I was delighted to discover it had made it to the screen. Watching the movie for the first time brought back all the excitement and wonder that I felt as a child as I eagerly read from page to page. I thought the film was as true to the book as I could remember it. Now, having watched this film over and over with my two young boys, I have ordered the book for them to enjoy themselves, just as I did. I have also discovered the books were part of a continuing series, and I loved this film SO much I would be really delighted if the film production company decided to follow on with the next installment.
Great for children - and grown-ups who loved to read as young children. All in all, if you have read the book, you will love the trip down memory lane. If you haven't read the book, the film should delight you anyway!
on 30 July 2009
I bought this DVD for my child of 6 years old who thoroughly loved all the books.The author of the books is actually English and the stories are set in England but within the first minute of settling to watch I groaned inwardly as I realised that the story had been 'Americanised'.It was all downhill from there for me I am afraid. The lead characters Omri and Patrick were miscast appearance-wise (no self respecting British school boy would have a hairstyle like that) but the Omri character was nevertheless well played by the young actor. I thought Omri's father was well cast though. The story-line was changed however and I had to endure my 6 year old telling me 'it was'nt like that in the book' or variations to that theme of complaint. Little Bull or Little Bear as he was referred to in the film was brilliantly played by the actor and was just perfectly cast. It is a magical film & I hate to give the film just 3 stars but it lost so much in 'transalation' by being Americanized.
on 24 January 2014
The Indian in the cupboard it's an old film but rated highly in the family for entertainment value , it's about a young boy who receives an old cupboard , his mum finds a key to fit the lock and just before bed he puts in a small plastic figure of an Indian who then comes to life and thinks the young boy is a giant, full of magic and adventure ,I have purchased this copy for my grandchildren
on 25 May 2010
This is an exquisite film about a young boy, Omri, who brings to life a toy red indian and learns to be responsible for another human being. It is based on the book of the same title by Lynne Reid Banks which I read to my son when he was younger. When I read a book I form a picture of the characters in my mind and if a film is made of that book it can be disappointing if there is too much of a gap between their interpretation of the characters and my picture of them. This was not the case with this film where the main character, Omri, was well cast and a good match to the picture I already had of him in my head.
on 31 January 2014
I'm so happy I found one of my childhood films on DVD that I can actually watch here in the UK as it's region two. I've had to be disappointed several times with other films. This is an awesome film. Recommend watching it.
on 26 December 2012
I love all things Native American and I thought this film might be interesting, it's fairly dated now but still ok for a child to see. My little boy was fascinated by the magic cupboard and the models coming to life. An imaginative film which touches on many issues that faced the Original people of the North American Continent when white settlers invaded and destroyed their lands and lifestyle. The cowboy character was a typical insensitive yob, his first instinct was to kill everything and destroy, the Indian is respectful and spiritual in his approach to life and all who live in his world.
There is a lot of imagination and kindness in this film. My little boy watched it twice in a row.
on 4 April 2001
This magical movie is one for the young and the young at heart. It's the tale of a boy who receives a toy Indian for his ninth birthday. He keeps the plastic figure safe in a cupboard overnight where miraculously, it comes to life. Fearful of the child at first, the Indian soon relaxes and the pair become firm friends.
on 3 March 2015
I watched this film as a kid and still watch it at least once a year. It's one of those classic 90's films that quickly pulls you in and keeps you entertained until the credits start rolling. It follows a boy who after receiving a little cupboard from his brother for his birthday decides to put one of his toys inside it. The magic happens when he unlocks it and the toy has come to life. Great plot, great acting - overall, great movie!
on 28 December 2013
An old film but for some reason my son loves it. It seems the old ones are the best yet
on 10 November 2012
I watched this dvd with my seven year old grandson after reading the book
together.While we both enjoyed it very much there was so much in the book that never
made it into the film. We both felt that staying with the plot in the book would have made it
more enjoyable.