Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 December 2004
Live, sweaty, good natured jazz from 1958 with a clean, high energy feel. Not rocket science, but addictive. Relentless forward motion from a chunky, down to earth rhythmn section (actually Art Blakely on drums joined by organ bass) sets an enveloping backdrop for vibrant, unfussy solos on sax, guitar and Jimmy's hammond. The latter really is something else, mixing fabulous skronky chord bashes with mind boggling shredding. As is often the case with this sort of thing, the recording from what sounds like a tiny basement shames many modern efforts and oozes atmosphere.
on 21 August 2013
I think you need to open your mind a little (a lot would be better). Also i think you need to develop a deeper understanding of the word "Blues." It has a variety of connotations - all related. Seriously, do yourself a favour. The record is cool. Seriously. I have not stopped playing this record and it gets better every time i do. It's very much my record of the week. Jimmy Smith fans will like it a lot.
on 19 October 2012
This deserves five stars (to give it two is insulting). It may not be my favourite JS album but it's funky, full of life and most definately cool.
on 21 November 2011
Maybe the title was meant to be ironic.? As I loath jazz, well - most of it I'm utterly unsuited to comment on the quality of the music. What I can tell is that if there's any BLUES here, however tenuous or marginal the connection is, it sure isn't apparent to me. So, a mean 1 star out of 5 only because of the deliberately misleading title. Am I annoyed? Yes, I certainly am!
77 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse