Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 June 2005
I don't hand out 5 stars without a damn fine reason, and what a reason this is!
This album is quite simply one of the best I've heard so far this millenium. Its influences are kind of obvious - Nirvana, Pixies etc but it crafts them into a completely awesome sonic brew.
Biffy's command of song dynamics are masterful as is their ability to alter time signatures and tempos without it sounding in the slightest bit strange. Everybody knows the quiet-loud dynamic back to front but nobody does it like Biffy. One minute they sound like coldplay (but with more balls) and the next the guitars crash in over such emotive and raw vocals like a runaway juggernaut. If the hairs on your arms don't stand up on hearing the howl of 'I still feel the pain in my heart' (sounds cliched I know but it's all in the delivery) over crashing guitars on track '27', then you shouldn't be listening to rock music.
Quite simply if you don't own this album and you love powerful rock music, then you are seriously missing out. If you do then like me you probably fallen in love completely. All hail the mighty mighty Biffy Clyro!!!!!!
on 19 June 2003
I bought this record on impulse and have never looked back. Full-on rock at heart, The Biff incorporate incredibly original and intelligent nuances to this fine collection of songs. Mellow, majestic clean guitars and heartfelt vocals can switch to rip-roaring guitars and agressive screams in a split second. It shouldn't work but it does. Time signatures frequently change, but it all hangs together with an incredible tightness.
Blackened Sky breaks the mould of conventional underground rock. Tracks to look out for: "joy.discovery.invention", "27", "justboy", "57", "christopher's river"
on 17 June 2003
I bought this after seeing the '57' video on MTV2 sometime last year and was immediately impressed with the rest of the album. Considering there are only three band members, they do have a relatively big sound and considering the songs are fairly simplistic technically, they are wonderfully written. The whole album is very strong and its a tragedy that they havn't picked up more credit for being a fine young band. '57', '27', 'JustBoy', 'Christopher's River' and 'Scary Mary' are all fantastic songs, hopefully the 'Vertigo of Bliss' will get more airplay.
Bands like Biffy Clyro, Hell is For Heroes and Crackout certainly give me hope for the future, I hope more great young bands come through. Please God...
on 14 November 2009
I find that the best bands dont build a song around the normal structure of verse, chorus,verse,chorus,3rd verse,chorus. What I love about this album is you can tell they have just got loads of riffs and shoved them in any order and don't care what anyone else thinks. That point is represented well on 'kill the old, torture their young,''hero management' and 'stress on the sky'. All though this album is a screwed-up, drug-addled, rock odessey, my one complaint is that alot of their songs sound the same. Apart from 'Scary Mary,' almost all of them start with a quite riff or chord sequence before bolting into thunderous rock. As well '27' and '57' both end with the lyrics 'it's alright' being repeated at the end. Ignoring that, this album is refreshingly different to alot of rock albums. If you want a more mainstream Biffy, then you want their album Puzzle.
And no, they don't sound anything like Foo Fighters.

Best songs: '27,' 'Kill The Old, Torture Their Young,' 'The Go-Slow' and '57'
on 24 September 2011
worth every penny. heartbreaking. beautiful and amazing. this is one of my favourite albums of all time. this and rage against the machine's debut album which is also a masterpiece. this album grows on you. P.S you should also check out theyre b-sides, especially for this album and only revolutions. most of their b-sides are better than the albums tracks so definately check out my listimania which has their best b-sides :D
VINE VOICEon 14 August 2007
I only came across Biffy Clyro after Puzzle was released and I loved that album so much I decided to explore the preceding albums. Blackened Sky is the debut, released on a minor label back in 2002. Out of the three albums prior to Puzzle, this is the album that has most in common with Biffy's current effort. But that doesn't mean it shares the same sound entirely. It has some very tender songs on here that are certainly worth listening and Biffy should be credited for not sticking to the same tried and tested formula - the variety between songs and albums is pretty huge. I love the tender songs on here, the best being "Joy.Discovery.Invention" and "Christopher's River", which are both truly excellent tracks (the latter being especially beautiful). I also quite like "27" and "Justboy" which are both very good.

However, the early Biffy liked to unleash a barrage of screams onto the listener which I hate. A lot of old Biffy fans seem to like this sound and dislike Puzzle, whereas I fall into the opposite camp. So my advice to other customers who are buying into the Biffy back catalogue on the strength of Puzzle alone, don't expect the same sound or anything anywhere near as accessible as Puzzle. Blackened Sky is easily the best of the rest after Puzzle and is far more accessible than The Vertigo of Bliss and Infinity Land but I can't hide the fact that I simply don't like the fits of screaming on this and the other two albums before Puzzle. To be fair, it's not so noticable on this album but you will certainly notice it on the other two. And just so you know I come from a rock background and have listened to plenty of heavy music in the past - Metallica, Megadeth, Seether, NIN, Disturbed - so I know heavy but I draw the line at mindless screaming and messy guitars. It's a shame because Biffy are talented and the promise was most certainly there in some of the early work. This comment may not sit well with old Biffy fans but I hope the band stick to sound of Puzzle because it works so much better for them.

And I bet because of this, a lot of these people will unfairly click the unhelpful button. Well this isn't a review for old Biffy fans - I'm just trying to present some advice to newcomers of Biffy like myself. Blackened Sky is the best Biffy album to try after Puzzle but exercise caution with the other two until you know what to expect.
22 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2004
Biffy Clyro really have something different, something that no other british band have.. In my opinion, this album didnt have half the success it should have had.
Call me sad, but i remember one weekend when i listened to blackebed sky over and over for 48 hours, and i actually did not get bored, you really can listen to this so many times.
The best tracks are 'christophers river' 'joy.discouvery.invention' and ofcourse '57'.
Biffy Clyro are definately a band that will become something big.. watch out
on 25 January 2013
I got into Biffy on Infinity Land in 2006. I swiftly fell in love with the band, their unique rifts, twists on songs, and beautifully poetic lyrics.
When I listened to Blackened Sky for the first time, it took me a few listens before really appreciating it, and it soon became one of my favourite albums of all time. The first song 'Joy. Discovery. Invention', is such a beautiful song and an amazing start to a debut album.
Biffy have not, in my eyes, released a bad album. I love every one of them, they compliment each other well. And if you get the chance to listen to their b-sides, they deserve their own albums. Give Blackened Sky a chance, it will sit well in your music collection, and seems to get better with age.
on 14 March 2002
I've been buying music of all sorts for a very long time and this is the most excited I've been for years. The singles were magnificent (if you have not already bought 'Justboy' then shame on you) but in the context of a whole album you have the best new (insert label here, they will defy any pigeon-holing you can think of) band for an age. The album starts mellow with 'Joy.discovery.invention' but they are howling by the end of the track. They do quiet/loud with the best of them (Mogwai, Aereogramme) whilst sounding like no-one else. My favourites are 'Kill the Old, Torture their Young' and 'Scary Mary' but there's not a bad song to be heard and the energy is tremendous throughout. Buy this!
on 30 January 2014
Was abit iffy about buying this album at first cause i love the sound they have with puzzle onwards and the first album always has a different sound. Once i heard the first few tracks i loved it and felt i shouldnt of felt iffy at all. biffy is biffy at the end of the day and they are amazing. for me 27 and 57 are my favourite tracks