5.0 out of 5 stars GO HERE FOR WHAT A REAL FOOTBALL FAN THINKS
Published on 17 Dec. 2007 by james bouchier

2.0 out of 5 stars The Beginning of the End for Champiano
For those of you who are completely new to the world of Championship Manager, (you are a minority - and shame on you) CM4 might seem like a decent footy management sim. But for die-hard fans who have spent countless nights pursiung succesful seasons with our favourite clubs in Champiano 01/02 (thats the name on the street), CM4 will be a huge disappointment.
Its a...
Published on 6 May 2003 by M. Angeli

2.0 out of 5 stars The Beginning of the End for Champiano, 6 May 2003
M. Angeli "Mike" (Kenley, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Championship Manager 4 (Video Game)
Its a real let-down and a shame really, after waiting for so long.
Well, what exactly is wrong with the game? Its actually very difficult to know where to start. Firstly, the most obvious negative point is the speed of the game. CM4 is TERRIBLY slow, especially during a match when commentary is supposed to be running at a 'very fast speed' but doesn't really go very quick at all. Then there's the pathetic looking 2D option which looks like watching pool balls hit a very tiny white cue ball.
Secondly, there are consistent bugs in the game. For instance, a die-hard fan I know recently started a game with Arsenal. He qualified from phase 1 of the Champions League, but on the news screen it proclaimed "Arsenal have been knocked out of the Champions League". This has happened more than once, which is rather embarassing for a reputable company such as Eidos.
Thirdly, why bring it out (with bugs included) at the end of the season when the stats will be out-of-date within months?
Another minor point which displeases me about CM4 is the fact that I feel as though whatever I do during a match will not affect the outcome of the result, i.e. substitutions, tactical changes etc. make little difference.
The few plus points are - loads of leagues, players, teams and statistics. Thats about it.
In conclusion, it is not worth buying CM4 if you are any sort of a fan. If you are that curious, then buy CM 2001/2002 and download the updated stats for last season. Or buy the best football game ever - Pro Evo 2 on the playstation. AVOID CM4!!

2.0 out of 5 stars More Ultimate Soccer Manager than Championship Manager, 5 April 2003
This review is from: Championship Manager 4 (Video Game)
Having waited 18 months for the release of cm4 i was expecting a masterpiece that had taken all the good things from cm01/02 and made them even better, what did i get, a game that requires a patch as soon as you install it otherwise half the features don't work such as player historys, a game that runs so slowly that the weeks are almost real time. I kid you not.
Don't get me wrong some of the new features are impressive such as the 2d match engine but with the introduction of training screens and the new "skin" it feels more like Ultimate Soccer Manager.
Long live cm 01/02 is what i say, now has anybody seen my recipt...................

3.0 out of 5 stars damn frustrating!, 15 April 2003
This review is from: Championship Manager 4 (Video Game)
ok, everything about this game screams buy me buy me! at you. and like all the other champ fanantics out there i did. ive owned and loved every single champ pc game that has been released by those genius-type chaps at sports interactive. but i really think they have gone too far this time. the game is really quite unaccessable - and by that i mean b4 u even play it! it says on the box the minimum spec is 64mb ram and 600mhz processor. well if this is your sepc dont even think about it. im running just the spanish league on small database on a 256mb ram 1.6ghz machine, well above the recommended spec let alone the minimum, and i am geting infuriated with the processing time, especially within matches. oh and i was hammering vitesse arnhem 4-2 in the second half wen the computer decided to revert to the half time score in the 71st minute. quite annoying. i know i would love this game if i could play it on nasas computer, but on anything less give me cm01-02 anyday!!

5.0 out of 5 stars GO HERE FOR WHAT A REAL FOOTBALL FAN THINKS, 17 Dec. 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Championship Manager 4 (Video Game)
ok, ive been playing this game for over 2 years and that says it all. I am aware that the game is extremely old and is in the 03/04 season, but honestly i have nt found any manager game worthy of replacing it . the thing that makes it special is the large player database. it has over 200 000 players, and with a download you can get the background ( former teams, goals for teams, games played for teams) for ALL PLAYERS. if you can find another manager game like that id love to know. However there are some drawbacks.
1. the players in the Norwegian league are the cheapest, and in some circumstances, the best. players like haugen, krohn haaland, jone samuelsen and torseth jensen and kenneth kvalheim can be bought for under 50k , and work wonders with teams in the championship , league 1 and 2 if you can afford them. this is extremely unrealistic
2. I KNOW it has been said and said and said that the game is too slow, and i agree. however the fact that people have said that the game can only have 3 or 4 league is BS. my computer is microsoft XP and mine can hold up to 32 leauges! i dont mind about the wait inbeetween games and such, and if you do, then just select a smaller database , or less leagues.
3. manager games should never have cheats. there are different cheats where u can sell players for over 50million , and cheats where u can buy players like shevchenko , vieri or henry for free. i think that is just pathetic.

i was nt a real fan before i bought this game. i learnt pretty much eveerything from this game , and i hate football fans who think they know alot , because often they only know about david beckhams shoe size or how many goals didier drogba scored in the 06/07 season.

i love this game DONT BE PUT OFF BY WHAT EVERYBODY ELSE HAS SAID , THEY DID NT GIVE IT A CHANCE.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as everyone says, 20 April 2003
This review is from: Championship Manager 4 (Video Game)
As my title suggests I was extremely disappointed with the latest instalment of Champ Man. Ive been a huge fan of the series since season 97/98. I was expecting so much from this game and I feel let down now.
They have changed everything they could get their hands on it seems. If it's not broke, dont fix it! It was a good move introducing the 2D pitch though, a step in the right direction i thought. But i soon found out I didnt quite like the birds eye view of the action, after all as a die-hard fan of the game i was fairly accustomed to the flashing text commentary that we all know and love. It was unique to Champ Man.
They gave you the option of just watching the text like i had in previous games so i was happy yes? No. The text was slow and jerky at certain points as well as not having enough description in what was happening in the game like it did in previous games.
I pride myself on my PC too, I like to think its pretty good but still just clicking on the simplest of things like "tactics" or "training" and there was an annoyingly long second or two to wait for it to come up. again didnt have this problem with previous Champ Mans.
And another thing, they dont have an editor! Im sure there are many of us who found that just giving your small club a few extra pounds made the game more enjoyable.
A plus side to the game though is their attention to detail. Again, its second to none like it has been previously. But maybe, going a bit over the top now? Raise your hand all those who would rather manage a team in the second division of Hong Kong, India, Israel or Singapore than a team in any other country?! It's just so they can advertise the game as "manage a club from over 80 divisions from over 30 countries". Sounds good but get into the game and who does everyone want to manage? A club from 1 of 8 maybe 10 countries tops.
I know I sound very negative (obviously) but it's only because I feel after Eidos and Sports Interactive (and/or whoever else held it back) held back the original release of the game and set it back around 4 months I felt entitled to expect more from them. I didnt expect them to play around with a game that was already unimaginably popular.
In conclusion, when the new Champ Man comes out, I will find out if it's anything like CM4 and if so then I think I will be staying well away from it, as much as it hurts me to say. I will go back to the days where Ipswich had players like Simon Milton and Alex Mathie on their books in the good ol days on CM 97/98 until things improve.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just Stay with CM 3!, 30 Mar. 2003
John (West Bromwich) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Championship Manager 4 (Video Game)
As the title of my review suggests, this game just does not live upto the expectations one would suggest. You will not find a bigger CM fan that me, I have every version of the game, and was very much looking forward to this raved about revision of the best football management game ever. But this is just disappointing, OK there are a lot of new features such as the 2D pitch, but who wants to spend 10 minutes viewing a game? The tactics are just too detailed and the player attributes too many. In my opinion too much has gone into the game and spoilt it. It is a great shame, as Championship Manager has been so good in the past. Stick to the latest version of CM3, with the latest updates and save your money!

1.0 out of 5 stars Champ Man 4, 18 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Championship Manager 4 (Video Game)
As a lifelong customer to the Championship Manager franchise, I eargerly awaited this newest addition, much like I eagerly waited for all the previous versions. Version 04, unlike all the others, dissapointed me wholly.
Why? The first, and most important reason is hard to define, but Champ Man fans who have played this and the previous installments will know what I mean...the feel of the game. Champ Man has always improved on itself year by year, and every version always feels good. They had a winning formulae, but decided to completely change it for version 04...why? No idea.
Ok, so you've said that the feel of the game isnt good, but I dont really know what you mean....you only gave it 1 star...what's wrong with the game?
Many things.
Speed - The game plays out so slowly. During matches, there are sluggish pauses when there is a break in play (corners etc.), and the commentary is generally slower than previous games. And unless you have a behemoth of a computer, I would give up ever using the new in game '3d' match screen (which is awful and slow).
Transfers - Well, this is a huge part of the game, so fittingly the developers have tried alot of new features to impress, though sadly none work. The new 'enquiry' option, which aims to give you an impression of a clubs valuation of a player, works something like this: You make an enquiry about a player. Now, one of two things happen. If the player is someone who is obviously for sale (ie - listed, awful stats....) you will be told they are worth what you can see they are worth from their information. If the player is half decent, you will be told he is not for sale at any price, despite the fact most players are fpr sale at the right price.
This sums up Champ Man...so many new features...but why change the winning formulae. Selling players is nigh on impossible, even when clubs have expressed an interested in them, and you then offer the player away. In a full season, I couldnt manage to sell Zidane or Figo, at their suggested prices.
Signing players is equally pathetic. It's hit and miss. Eg - I signed Mendieta in his prime, with a long time still to go on his contract for 12 million, whist 36 million was Diego Tristan's asking price. They've aimed for realism....and maybe they've got it, but is that really what we want? Championship Manager is a GAME....not a tutorial for budding managers. THIS ISNT FUN. Trust me, dont buy this, get Champ Manager 3, the 01/02 update. That game is fantastic and 04 pales in comparison.
To summarize.
Version 04 is ambitious, but all the realism that has been introduced has drowned out all the fun of the previous versions. What a dissapointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously flawed, 6 May 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Championship Manager 4 (Video Game)
It will always be addictive taking your favourite (or any) team on to greater and greater glories, winning trophies and signing a new superstar, or avoiding the dreaded drop and saving yourself from prematurely receiving your P45 from an impatient chairman.
I've been a fan of the Championship Manager series since the very first incarnation. I must have devoted months of my life to tweaking tactics and scouting clubs searching for that elusive "Next Big Thing." Championship Manager 4 is the most in-depth version yet, with more leagues, clubs, players and coaching staff than ever before. A game this complex, however, was always going to be difficult to get right.
From the outset it seems a little slow - not the usual waiting-for-results slow, but in such things as screen transitions. Changing screens from within a match, even something as simple as checking a player profile, can take three or four seconds, which gets frustrating in the extreme. Perhaps this is down to the new 2D match engine, which is at least one good aspect of the game in that it gives you a much better idea of who is under-performing. It is in the match that the first bugs start to appear. In real football I have never seen a lone centre-back collect the ball in space then promptly turn around and hoof it out for an opposition corner-kick. And that is just one of the woeful AI glitches. Another problem is that often (and I mean *often*), when changing tactics during a match the scoreline will be different when you return to the game - you may lose goals or the opposition may gain them. Hardly sounds realistic so far, does it?
The fixture lists are seriously messed up. I've had two matches scheduled for my team on the same day, been drawn against myself in the cup and had seasons where competitions (Champions League and the Argentinian league) just didn't take place because the game somehow didn't get round to drawing up the fixtures.
I've seen a manager get sacked and then hired again the day after. You can ask a player to reconsider retiring - even if he doesn't play for your club. I've had some very strange runs of form - seriously, you win every game for a few months then straight away you start losing every game (only to start winning everything again a few months later) - there seems to be no gradual degradation in team form. I've been refused transfer offers on two different players only for their club to sell them within a week at about a quarter of what I was offering. I've had teams offering me a tenth of the value of some of my players. When selling a player with monthly repayments for some reason the money went the wrong way - I lost a player and became poorer. I've been able to cancel transfers arranged when a club has met one of my player's minimum fee release clause - surely that's not right? Stats for goalkeepers show how many goals and assists they've had rather than the number of clean sheets and how many they've conceded. I could go on but there's a 1000 word limit here.
There's a soon-to-be-released third "Enhancement Pack" (doesn't sound as bad as PATCH, does it?) which may solve some of the problems, but I don't hold out much hope.
For a game that was in development for so long and had such allegedly rigorous testing, this is a really shoddy piece of work. Avoid.

3.0 out of 5 stars The wait is over..., 31 Mar. 2003
W. Morrison (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Championship Manager 4 (Video Game)
Let's be fair, the games earlier in this series were absolutely brilliant. Fair enough you were just looking at pages of stats, numbers that at first appeared meaningless but meant everything about your team. When I played it, I genuniely felt for my team, when we won I was happy for the players and pleased that my tactics had worked so well, and when we lost, I could look for what went wrong and was angry when we lost silly goals and games. The simplicity, yet depth, of the games was what appealed to me.
But on to the new game. Calls on the game's website and online community for a 2-D match engine were heeded and it's in the game. I'm not sure how much use it is, for sure, it's easier to find weaknesses, but it also makes you realise just how helpless you are, my players always seem to play backwards, get caught in possession near our goal and hence concede too many and not make enough chances to score ourselves. My main gripe is the complexity, I keep forgetting to do things, which I suppose is my fault, but there are just so many things that you have to do. I guess the makers are trying to make the game as realistic as possible but why change it so much from the previous games? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Another thing for me is that I just can't get into it, on the old games I could play for hours and really feel a part of it, but this game seems too busy and I just can't have the same excitement from playing it.
But the things I mention are just personal really, and everyone's different I suppose. Maybe I've judged it too soon, and in a few weeks I'll love it, but I have to call it how I see it.
If you like manager games, you can't go wrong with this series, but maybe this game has changed too much for it to be as fantastic as the simple but enjoyable earlier installments.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Jun. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Championship Manager 4 (Video Game)
I can't believe I was so excited about this game.
CM4 just seems so slow, and I'm sorry, but if I've paid the best part of 30 quid for a game, I think its reasonable to assume that the game would be complete and ready to play, not need numerous downloads from the website. No player histories, and no money to spend. Where is the logic in being able to manage a club with a transfer budget of 20million, and still only be able to offer wages of £75 a week to a World Cup winning international?
The additions (extra training, formations, better control of reserves, etc.), are good but surely not enough to warrant the game now running slower than real time. The beauty of CM01/02 was that you could spend all day playing and feel like you'd actually achieved something. On CM4 it takes several hours just to get to the end of August - and this isn't just me tinkering with tactics and stuff - that can all be left to a decent assistant.
I've also tried with different teams in different divisions and so far have been unable to tell the difference from the boards attitude whether managing Bristol Rovers or Arsenal.
And finally, the much heralded 2D match viewer - why all the fuss? This was no better than I'd seen on Player Manager on the playstation a couple of years ago.
Overall, this looks like a massive step backwards from a CM01/02, which was pretty much perfect already.
If you haven't bought it already, don't - buy CM01/02 instead.

Championship Manager 4
Championship Manager 4 by Eidos (Windows 2000 / 98 / Me / NT / XP)