5.0 out of 5 stars Not Johnny B Goode..... Johnny is GOOD
This album originates from late 60s & early 70s 1969 And has been release several times until this one from 2001.
The music is raw and the live tracks, particularly "Its my own fault" are brilliant. Rick Derringer plays some amazing rythm guitar and the energy levels are constanly high.
The version of "Johnny B Good " is one of the best you will ever hear by...
Published on 29 Dec 2003 by 50 plus & Hangin on

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT WHAT I EXPEXTED....
As a blues enthusiast I thought I would give Johnny a try. I just find the guy very weak in comparison to the likes of Hendrix , Bloomfield , Muddy , BB King , Jimmy Page.....Cant sing , far too cock rock for me!!! There is no x factor or guts. I would give this one a miss!!
Published 13 months ago by Warren

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Johnny B Goode..... Johnny is GOOD, 29 Dec 2003
50 plus & Hangin on (Barnstaple, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Johnny Winter (Audio CD)
The version of "Johnny B Good " is one of the best you will ever hear by anybody
I played this to my daughter and her friend, both 20 somethings, and they loved it
If you've never heard Johnny Winter this is the one to spend your money on !

5.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Winter... the greatest texas guitar picker?, 5 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Best Of Johnny Winter (Audio CD)
This Cd is a collection of Johnny Winter's hot texas Blues/Rock containing most of his best songs from his heyday in the 60s and 70s. From the opening bars of Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo its easy to see that this man means business. The album covers a broad spectrum of Johnny's blues music; ranging from the rocky sounds of Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo, to the driving blues, 'Mother in Law Blues' and even to the old acoustic delta blues sound of his creation, 'Dallas'. The tracks definitely display johnny's fiery, lightnin fast blues guitar and raucous vocals well.

This Cd is the one that got me hooked on Johnny Winter so i would highly recommend it to anyone curious about his music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yeh, this rocks!, 18 Jun 2011
BobM (South East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Johnny Winter (Audio CD)
I bought this compilation on the basis of his brother's work, and must confess that I much prefer this man's overall musical output. Some great tracks. Good, solid, well constructed rock music.

4.0 out of 5 stars American Albino Wonder, 23 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Best Of Johnny Winter (Audio CD)
For those who thought blues guitar was only the province of black electric bluesmen like Muddy Waters, or their pale shadows, the white British Eric Clapton types, comes the even paler Texan albino wunderkind, Johnny Winter. I remember Johnny and his brother Edgar from a Saturday night performance at Woodstock (he was just on the scene) - they blew away the audience. I imagine he would be better remembered today if he made the movie (neither did The Band, the best act of the festival).

I bought this and a greatest hits of Stevie Ray Vaughn to see which of these southern white wonders was the better guitarist. My verdict is in - they wipe the floor with most if not all of the British opposition (soft spot for Jeff Beck), but the total package goes to Johnny Winter, who sings better that Stevie, plays a bit more tastefully and has better material. Not that he is perfect - he screams too much for my liking - just like Edgar - but he has the soul of a bluesman in that skinny, too-white body. But this single album captures him in all moods and draws on all his styles of play. He is a terrific show off, Buddy Guy fast, and propels his songs along with verve.

I like most of the tracks - the kickoff track, Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo is great, Highway 61 with slide is super good, Come into my Kitchen (with flute!), Rollin and Tubmlin, all that you'd expect. But there are also gems like I'll Drown in My Own Tears, much more tasteful and terrific.

Perhaps the best comment on Winter came from Muddy Waters, no fool he, who recorded a number of albums with Winter. Considering that he could have picked anyone, and choose Winter, speaks volumes.

Almost a 5, but I'm docking a star for screaming too much.

5.0 out of 5 stars great blues album, 10 July 2010
This review is from: The Best Of Johnny Winter (Audio CD)
If you're a Johnny Winter fan you just have to add this to your collection. All 16 tracks are certainly the best of his particular blues style and great guitar work , right from the first track "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo" to the last "Memory Pain".

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Johnny Winter (Audio CD)
This is really fantastic blues rock album - a real tour de force. Took a while to grow on me but after a couple of listens I was totally hooked. If your looking for fantastic guitar blues and blues rock album look no further! This will astound.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT WHAT I EXPEXTED...., 5 Mar 2013

ARRAY(0xa587f390)

The Best Of Johnny Winter
The Best Of Johnny Winter by Johnny Winter (Audio CD - 2002)