5.0 out of 5 stars Great Experiment
A really far fetched, but interesting storyline. Two sailors on a ship, taking part in an experiment to make their ship invisible to radar, travel forward in time due to the experiment going out of control. It's an old film so special effects are basic, but this doesn't detract from the enjyoment of the film
Published on 30 July 2011 by geminiman

3.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia
I bought this dvd purely on nostalgia alone. We lived in Africa as kids and only got to the video store once a week so could only rent the less popular movie's. This was the best of a bad bunch and recently I got the urge to see it again. I loved it as much now as I did then. The 'special effects' aren't as special now as they were back then!!!

None the less,...
Published on 24 April 2011 by marmitesno1fan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Experiment, 30 July 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheese, but tasty cheese, 12 July 2010
Now don't get me wrong, I love this film not because it's a well-crafted classic but simply because it's a fun and terrifically 1980s effort, complete with big hair, flashy cars, crazy sweaters and a ditzy heroine. It's undeniably cheesy and I completely agree that a decent budget and more talented leads would render it a sci-fi classic, however this is a bit like an extended episode of Quantum Leap, and as such is cornily brilliant.

Nancy Allen, Hollywood's go to girl in the 80s for cute dreamy heroines, does a good job here, however Michael Pare is like a more wooden Marlon Brando as out-of-time sailor David. Classic horror writer John Carpenter adds some much-needed pizzaz to the title credits in his role as executive producer, but there is little for sci-fi fans to get excited about, with some average SFX and little attention paid to the time-travel aspect of the story, other than some bewilderment on the sailors' part as they attempt to come to terms with postwar society.

See this if you fancy a lighthearted, whimsical and undemanding movie; after nearly thirty years it still stands up as a solid if unspectacular fantasy film.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 24 April 2011

None the less, my siblings and I are still thrilled with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Philadelphia Experiment, 16 Jan 2013
I saw this film 20 years ago and enjoyedi it, so when I saw this disc advertised at a very low price I decided to buy it to see if it has withstood the test of time. It tells of the U.S.S. Eldridge, chosen in 1943 to take part in an experiment to make u.s. navy ships invisible to radar, but something goes wrong, and not only does ship disappear, but two sailors are transported to 1984.The rest of the film is the story of these two sailors coping with suddenly finding themselves 41 years in the future, and their attempt to get back to the ship and stop the experiment that has torn a hole in time. And yes I did find it as entertaining the second time around.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Science Conspiracy Legend Gets the "B-Movie" Treatment, 27 Jun 2008
John Joyce "Author - Masterpiece" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
As an author of a number of books about dimension-hopping - one of which actually deals with the USS Eldridge and the 'Phillidelphia Experiment' - I was anxious to check out this movie on DVD. While the premise of the film (which is based on a well-known conspiracy theory that Albert Einstein had been funded by the US Navy to develop a 'cloaking device' for ships to make them invisible to radar that then went horribly wrong)has huge potential for a really great movie, the film itself was spoiled by cheap special effects and a rather corny script.

The film starts well, with our two heroes embarking as seamen on the USS Eldridge to take part in the experiment. Generators hum, lights flash, tension builds . . . and then some very cheap special effects kick in and the plot - like the USS Eldridge - vanishes in a puff of smoke.

Our two heroes find themselves in the 1980s, in the middle of a top secret experiment of their future, the world is falling apart, there is local love interest etc. etc. etc. and the result is a rather disappointing film.

Full marks for the cast for making the best silk purse they can out of this sow's ear, but a bigger budget and a tighter script would have worked wonders.

Perhaps, as another reviewer has suggested, someone will take this story and throw some real finance behind it so that it can be properly told.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Philadelphia Experiment, 7 Jan 2012
Brilliant little film, a mixture of romance, suspense and possible paradox in time, for those time shifters out there.
DVD comes in either Region 1 (America) or, Region 0 (anywhere), which was the original copy I watched.
Well worth the money, and I thought more to the story-line to that of 'The Final Countdown' film starring Kirk Douglas.
It's listed as 'PG' for rating but over 8 year-olds would be OK I would have thought.
No sex (apart from kissing) and no real violence (apart from restraining a man by his arms) and no swearing, small amount of blood, (no gory bits).
Just over the 100 minutes of viewing of good entertainment.
Recommend this film without a doubt.
'The Philadelphia Experiment 2' release came only in region 1, but will collect it soon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Story - Disappointing Movie, 19 Oct 2007
With the current trend of re-hashing and re-making older movies it's a shame that someone doesn't do the same with this as it's potential is huge.

I have been fascinated with this (allegedly true) story since I first heard about it several years ago.

It involves a military experiment at a Philadelphia naval shipyard where the USS Eldridge was supposed to have literally vanished during experiments with radar invisibility. The crew reportedly suffered mental illness following the experiment and some were even said to have either vanished completely or been fused to bulkheads. The events were then supposedly followed by a massive miltary cover-up.

Whether or not the story is true - it's a good one - and worthy of a decent movie. I have been looking out for this to be released on Region 2 DVD for years and was so disappointed, although if I'm honest I didn't expect much else.

Sadly it falls prone to the 80s practice of telling a tale with the inevitable addition of an inter-twining love story. It is also really dated in the way that a lot of 80s films are and clearly filmed on a low budget. What a shame - it's such a good subject matter.

Look up the story on the internet - it's everywhere and is completely captivating. Just don't bother with the movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Philadelphia Experiment - Still enjoyable for time travellers, 10 Feb 2011
I saw this film, many years ago and was hoping to see it again on TV. After considering buying it many times I finally decided I couldn't wait any longer.
The film didn't disappoint. Yes, the acting from David Pare and Nancy Allen is a little gooey but I still loved it. I thought the special effects still worked and I enjoyed the film just as much this time as the last time I saw it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Sci Fi Movie, 6 Jan 2011
I remembered watching this film as a kid and being blown away by the whole time travel bit. Re-watching the film as an adult I probably remembered the film as being better then it actually is. It has a good premise and potentially could have been a great film if it had a tighter story line but as it is I rate this as an average film. The effects are fine for the time.

3.0 out of 5 stars no good to me, 21 Jun 2014
wont play region 1 so i cant look at it wast of money my fault i have to give it a way

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Philadelphia Experiment [DVD]
The Philadelphia Experiment [DVD] by Stewart Raffill (DVD)