4.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly touching, another fun outing from Johnny 5!
If you read my review for the original Short Circuit, you'll note my memories for what is, a wonderful film. The story with this? Yet another ex-rental buy from Blockbuster! My mum knew just how much I loved the first, and once she saw this sequel in the pile of old videos, I was home to a welcome suprise.. and a dohnut!
Did this sequel live up to the first? In many...
Published on 11 Aug. 2007 by Picard

2.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as good as Short Circuit (the orginal)
I recently re-watched Short Circuit and loved it. By contrast this film has a clumsy plot and strangely edgy: I found watching them nearly kill Jonny 5 and then his transformation into a Terminator unpleasant.
Published 2 months ago by bryantookey

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly touching, another fun outing from Johnny 5!, 11 Aug. 2007
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Short Circuit 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Did this sequel live up to the first? In many ways, yes, and in a few others... no. But firstly, whats Johnny 5 up to? Well, after his escape at the end of the first film, he makes his way into the city via an obviously large package, to his original creators. The group bond, and we see J-5's rather humerous encounters as he makes his way through the different aspects of city life - much different to his quiet life hide-out in the first film.
This is probably were the film wins most of its Brownie points, for it really taps into your emotions. As a robot, he finds it tough to totally adapt to the busy lifestyle that surrounds him, from the Police, to people staring at him. Here, we see him develop true emotions that he has not previously encountered properly before, as he starts to care not only about his appearance, but 'who' he is. This leads him to questioning.. who am I? Really?
As I said, this is where the film can get quite emotional - as much as it has its funny moments, it makes you think about how he is feeling with a lovely musical score and great script. The most upsetting scene when I was very young is when he actually beaten gets beaten to a pulp by bad guys! Poor Johnny! I can remember vividly crying at this very moment, to which my mum would ask me if I wanted her to wind it forward!
But, as a rule of film making, bad-guys finish last, and Johnny 5 gets his revenge not only in a personal vendetta, but for the crime commited by chasing Oscar and catching him. We see a typical 'he's dead' moment at the end... but Johnny 5 never gives up!
This film has aged much better than its previous partner, and feels alot more complete, possibly the success of the first encouraged more money to be used in this outing. In my personal opinion, I've always prefered the first - that was possibly because it was funner and more heart-warming, whereas this film has more of a moral to it, in that we judge a book by its cover. But, this by no means makes it a bad movie, because as previous reviewers have said, its one of the best films they've ever seen! So long live Johnny 5!

5.0 out of 5 stars Number 5 is ALIVE, 18 Jan. 2012
Mr. Mj Day - See all my reviews
This review is from: Short Circuit 2 [DVD] (DVD)
i am not going to do a huge review on this film because everyone knows who number 5 is, come on!

i love this movie, as well as the first. its one of my all time faves. one thing that bothers me is when litle kids say this film is a rip off of WALL-E.....other way around kids.

WALL-E is good to ut thats another story

IF you have not seen this, get it, its a classic.

one problem is, now i dont know if this is the same for everyone else, or just me

my dvd hasa glitch, or atleast i hope it is a glitch and not a poor edit.
there is a scene where number 5 anoys a guy playing cards on the street, he guy starts pushing number 5 and say "get this mother outa my face outa my face!"

on my dvd he goes "get this outa my face outa my face outa my face"
i really hope this isnt a piss poor edit,

one other thing is thats pretty clear, probs for the best but is a pain when they do this sort of thing
on the vhs, there is a scene where you can see a huge rope attched to johnny 5's back wheel, on the dvd they have removed this rope...anoying when you want to remember your childhood memories of this film

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, 8 July 2004
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
While demonstrating the latest in automated warriors, one of them (number 5), gets arbitrarily struck by lightning, hence "Short Circuit."

He escapes the compound and is befriended by a ditzy mobile caterer (Ally Sheedy.)

Here is how it goes:
She mistakes the robot for an alien.
He learns what it is to be alive.
Security wants it dismantled before it takes their place.
However we know "it just runs programs" (yah right)

Will Ally discover her mistake?
Will the robot survive or be disassembled?
Can they recover it before it blows something up?

Careful you may find yourself rooting for Johnny Five.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robots wearing bandanas? Whatever next!?, 18 Jun. 2009
S. Lake - See all my reviews
This review is from: Short Circuit 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Short Circuit 2 is an excellent sequel to the first film, although it does lack some of the depth of the first movie. And of course no Ally Sheedy or Steve Guttenburg.

Without giving the story away, there are some awesome 1980s moments, the robots are brilliant, and we get to see how No. 5 copes with the "big city" complete with graffiti.

If you haven't seen it, and you like 1980s style feel-good movies, or robots - you'll probably like this.

If you have seen it, well, you know if you like it or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Short Circuit 2 [DVD] (DVD)
This film has everything, i prefer it to the first Short Circuit.. Johnny number 5 is quality and makes me giggle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dated but still fun, 2 April 2015
I am too old for this now, nearly 30 years on, but my sons (8 and 10) enjoyed it. They can be quite critical of old films, but had no complaints about effects or picture quality here. They haven't watched it repeatedly like some of their favourites, but it was well worth a few quid.

5.0 out of 5 stars johny 5 is here, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Short Circuit 2 [DVD] (DVD)
yes in this next and last dvd ,johny is sent to help his indian frind make 1000 toy models of him (johny 5) but he is tricked into stealing a diamond collection and is smahed,but with little battery energy and parts he sets out to catch the criminals,laughter along the way,a good film

4.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Sequel!, 23 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Short Circuit 2 [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I have not watched this film for quite some time however i can still remember how brilliant it was. It features Ben who is earning a living building toy robots. When he aquires a partner and lands himself an order for 1000 robots in a month, he writes to his friend Newton Crosby and asks him for help. Newtons reply is to send 'Jonny 5' the robot which came alive, who will build them in no time at all. Things go wrong though, when Jonny gets friendly with a criminal who uses him to break into a bank to steal rare diamonds, and then smashes him up. Although nearly dead, Jonny goes for revenge.
If you liked the first one then you are bound to like this one because it is a whole lot better. This film still has lots of funny bit just like the first. Basically it is definatly worth buying. BUY IT NOW!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as good as Short Circuit (the orginal), 11 Feb. 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Number Johnny five is alive again!!!, 11 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Short Circuit 2 [DVD] (DVD)
As i had already purchased the first film which is brilliant, i just had to finish with the sequel!! It doesn`t dissapoint. It arrived promptly and have no issues with product or seller. I would reccommmend.

Short Circuit 2 [DVD]
Short Circuit 2 [DVD] by Kenneth Johnson (DVD - 2004)