Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 36 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on 5 March 2004
Although the film was rich in suspense, love, death and heroism in simple terms it told the story of the blossoming of the central character - from impetuous and unworldly to experienced and fully rounded.
Whilst the acting of Cate Blanchett was an undoubted highlight the film was a great ensemble piece too - Billy Crudup the American actor being a very credible "troubled" young Frenchman,Michael Gambon a solid patriach, Ron Cook a weasley British spy and the production team should be commended for creating such a believably rustic French WW2 atmosphere.
The DVD extras complimented the film well most especially the documentary about the real life British women spys active in France (SOE's)and the interview with Sebastian Faulks,who guardedly supported the production whilst insisting Blanchett played Charlotte.Though a little overegged, the featurettes/interviews with those directly involved in the making of the film were revealing: Billy Crudup is extremely choosy about his films,Cate Blanchett is a perfectionist (well there's a surprise!), Gillian Armstrong, who directs, is a really ballsy Aussie, Michael Gambon is something of a raconteur and Sebastian Faulks has a presence that would surely make him a fine actor too!
To all those who have read the book I suggest you follow Cate Blanchett's advice if you want to fully enjoy this DVD by treating the film as an entirely seperate entity.
on 4 September 2005
Looking at the higher proportion of reviews which pull this film to pieces in every aspect, I thought I would put a review through in the films defense.
I watched this film by accident, I can't remember how long ago, and loved it. I wasn't phased because they spoke english or any of the other criticisms levelled at this production, I loved it for what it was - a kind of, dare I say it, romanticised version of what actually happened to a lot of women who were dropped into France, and lost loved ones left right and centre. Packed with beautiful photography and contrasting disturbing images,
the most powerful part of the film being the portrayal of how the French betrayed their own country and colaberated with the Nazis - truly a stomach churning thought, plus Charlotte's realisation of "what have I gotten myself in to", panics and decides to leave - only to be stopped in her tracks at the railway station because the nazi troops all descended from the carriages - another powerful image.
The main story once Charlotte gets dropped into all the mistakes, the deceit and suspicion, is her determination to care for two little jewish boys, whose parents were taken away unbeknown to them, the heart breaking job she has to do of convincing the boys that there is nothing wrong, even down to their eventual capture by the nazis believing their parents were away "doing war work".
In all, I thought the film dealt with a lot of issues very well, and gave the viewer a sense of what these poor people had to go through, the tough decisions they were usually forced to make very quickly, and is summed up with a line from Peter; "War makes us into people we did not know we were".
on 18 November 2015
Saw this years ago, and did not think much of it. Tonight saw it again, and I think it is a much underrated film. Acting and plot are pretty good. Maybe it's age but the last few scenes about the two boys actually got me crying. Those French collaborating police literally got away with helping the Nazis to murder over 60,000 Jews in France. Still hard to fathom how they escaped justice...only "obeying orders" of course.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 December 2011
For those who have not read Sebastian Faulk's book or seen the film in the cinema starring Cate Blanchett, Billy Crudup, Michael Gambon and Rupert Penry-Hones, I should go in search of the DVD.

With 104 other reviews, another lengthy one is unnecessary. Highly recommended.
on 13 March 2016
Super film that is very sensitive about issues pertinent to the second world war. This would be suitable for male and female viewership. A truly lovely film with sweet and sour finales.
on 4 February 2014
Great value for money fast delivery
a film a can watch over and over again
I would recommend it to friends
on 4 March 2015
An excellent film that is romantically based while incorporating the stresses and realness of war .
on 29 April 2012
This is a great film. I am surprised by some of the comments, "I bought this, but had already seen it, so I give it three stars". "It's not the Nancy Wake story, therefore I give it two stars" - it's fiction, it doesn't claim or pretend to be the Nancy Wake story. "It's different to the book, I give it one star" - since when does a film have to be exactly the same as the book! Cate Blanchett, Billy Crudup, Michael Gambon are brilliant, and it is a wonderful story, beautifully filmed and I'd recommend it to anyone.
on 30 January 2016
Fantastic film. Great performances from all the cast.
on 25 April 2015
Enjoyed it and will watch again and again