Format: DVD|Change

on 27 April 2008
I have loved the Mickey and the Beanstalk film since I was 3 and I still love watching it (I'm 18!). It's one of the classics that I believe is underrated. The drawings and paint are stunning and the humour is there aswell (I absolutely love Herman, the narrator and Willy the giant!).

Considering it's 60 years old, it's really a fantastic Disney film that should be in anyone's collection.
It's a good, old-fashioned tale that will keep children interested and yet, as it's only approx. 30 minutes long it's short enough so as to not make them bored.

Give them a classic, rather than the a mass-produced Pixar type film!
They don't make 'em like this any more!
on 19 March 2001
What can I say? Two classic (and I mean classic) disney tales, the most prominent of which (Mickey and the Beanstalk), is a real landmark for the whole industry. The famous disney characters, all together (a rare occasion) in a funny and dramatic film. Its wondrous what these people can come up with and mickey and the beanstalk (and the entire video in fact) is a true gem. Any real person would love it.
While none of the package features that the Disney Studios released during the aftermath of World War II have stayed very popular intact, elements from them are actually quite popular. In fact, it might be a surprise to learn that a few of their popular mid-length releases started out in these features. That’s certainly the case with one of the two segments from Fun and Fancy Free.

Jiminy Cricket is our host for this movie, and he opens it with the title song (a song that was written for him and then cut from Pinocchio.) After that song is over, he transitions into the two stories, but his overall part in the film is very small.

Up first is “Bongo”, the story of a circus bear who is trained to do all kinds of acts. He’s the star of the show, but when not in the big top, he’s a prisoner of the owners. All that changes when he discovers his cage is unlocked one day and makes a daring escape into the wild. But will the bear be able to survive on his own? And what will happen when he meets up with other bears?

This portion is told by Dinah Shore, who sings a few songs that go along with the film. There’s no spoken dialogue between characters. Animals in a Disney film not talking – shocking isn’t it? Still, the story is fairly entertaining and contains some great physical comedy as only a cartoon can do. As it turns into a romance, the comedy keeps coming, and that part of the story is just as entertaining.

I’d guess that most kids would actually enjoy this short with the exception of the music. While popular for the 1940’s, the style is definitely dated today. If kids are young enough, they probably won’t care. Still, it’s probably not something they would be clamoring to watch over and over again.

The second feature is “Mickey and the Beanstalk,” and this is the one that I was surprised to learn had originated in a longer film the first time I watched this movie. It’s Disney take on the classic tale with Mickey, Donald, and Goofy in the roll of Jack and a giant who possesses some magic. DisNerds will be interested to note that this was the last time Walt regularly provided the voice of Mickey.

Yes, the characters actually talk here, and the voice casting is perfect. In addition to our three heroes and the Giant, there’s also a singing harp. That means we get several new songs, but they seem to fit typical Disney movies of the era, and I would guess that kids will actually enjoy them. I know I did when I was a kid.

This story is told by Edgar Bergen, a ventriloquist of the day, and it cuts away occasionally to him, his puppets, and a little girl who is celebrating her birthday. This is the only live action in the film. Parts of it are certainly fun, but I feel it slows down the story overall. Or maybe it’s just the fact that I grew up watching “Mickey and the Beanstalk” without those live action interruptions. Either way, I feel this part is dated and might turn off kids. I wish for DVD releases they had included just the animated portions as an extra.

While both of these stories have the ability to entertain kids, I think the dated elements will keep them from requesting Fun and Fancy Free on a regular basis. However, die hard Disney fans will still enjoy having it in their collection as a stepping stone from World War II into the animated films of the 1950’s.
on 26 January 2003
Okay. I am a huge Disney fan and I want to have everything on DVD although I already have it on VHS. If you are a fan, like me this is a must have dvd. Simply because you want to complete your collection. If you just like cartoons this is funny, not great but funny. Fun and fancy free was Disney's ninth full lenght animated classic. It was made during the war time and Disney needed to cut down the cost, so he desided to combine some short films together. Mickey and the Beanstalk is an absolute classic it was the last film in whitch Walt personally provided the voice of Mickey Mouse.
Fun and fancy free is as the title indicates Fun. But nothing Fancy.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 January 2015
Fun And Fancy Free (1947) has two stories In the one film. Both stories are introduced by Jiminy Cricket, who we already know from Pinocchio.

The first called Bongo - The story of a circus bear cub, who runs away from the circus to the wild and the adventures there that follow. This was based on an original story by Sinclair Lewis.

The other half of the film is dedicated to the 2nd story, Mickey and the Beanstalk – A moralized adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk with Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy as peasants who discover temperamental Willie the Giant's castle in the sky through the use of some magic beans.

All in all the DVD is 1hour 10mins long, it also has full English subtitles.
on 21 February 2013
i choosed this rating cause it was interesting,there was nothing i disliked about this dvd and would recommend to a friend.
on 18 January 2013
A very well received Christmas present, my little girl is absloutely delighted with it, She watches it all the time.
on 31 March 2013
thankyou for the fast deilvery of the dvd my daughter loves it and it nearly completes our set,so thankyou again
on 17 January 2015
Gift for daughter who is on a mission to get every Disney DVD so I helped by buying her over 60 for christmas , it is Disney they do not make bad movies they are all great
on 28 January 2015
Absolutely chuffed that this came with the limited edition Classics O Ring Sleeve. Was not expecting that for the price i paid!! So pleased!!