5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites!
I have loved the Mickey and the Beanstalk film since I was 3 and I still love watching it (I'm 18!). It's one of the classics that I believe is underrated. The drawings and paint are stunning and the humour is there aswell (I absolutely love Herman, the narrator and Willy the giant!).

Considering it's 60 years old, it's really a fantastic Disney film that...
Published on 27 April 2008 by Lularitzibellafizz

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, but Funny
Published on 26 Jan. 2003 by peter thijssen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites!, 27 April 2008
Lularitzibellafizz "Cassie" (Leicester, Merrie Olde England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fun And Fancy Free [DVD] [1948] (DVD)

Considering it's 60 years old, it's really a fantastic Disney film that should be in anyone's collection.
It's a good, old-fashioned tale that will keep children interested and yet, as it's only approx. 30 minutes long it's short enough so as to not make them bored.

Give them a classic, rather than the a mass-produced Pixar type film!
They don't make 'em like this any more!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Bongo' and 'Mickey and the Beanstalk' in one film!, 13 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Fun And Fancy Free [DVD] [1948] (DVD)
`Fun and Fancy Free' is a lovely animated feature-length Disney film that I've enjoyed re-watching from my childhood. It features Mickey, Donald and Goofy with Jiminy Cricket and contains two stories that can be seen as one. It's also very clever in blending in a mix of live action and animation into the mix.

I bought this DVD for my mum and dad's wedding anniversary recently and they enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed watching it again since I remember seeing this when I was younger.

What I like about this film is that it's a film that talks about the meaning of life and what life's all about. It's an uplifting, feel-good film that helps to put us out of a misery whenever you think life is not worth living or there is too much trouble in the world. It reminds us of how to be optimistic no matter how bleak things are and teaches us how we can be happy. Even Jiminy Cricket tells us these things, especially when he's showing Cleo the goldfish in her goldfish bowl a newspaper and singing how to smile and not to worry.

This film was produced by Walt Disney from the aftermath of World War II. It's fitting that a film as feel-good as this should be released in cinemas after a period of hardship and suffering to lift up people's spirits again. The two stories in the film went through a number of stages before being halted because of World War II till eventually the two stories were resurfaced and packaged to make one film. For me, this was a neat and rather nice idea and was a pleasure to watch when I was younger.

The two stories in this film are `Bongo' and `Mickey and the Beanstalk'. The highlight for me was `Mickey and the Beanstalk' but it was lovely to have these two stories linked together even with Jiminy Cricket who guides us through the film from beginning to end.

The film opens with Jiminy Cricket singing us a song `I'm a Happy-go-Lucky Fellow' in a boat in a large plant inside a large house. Jiminy Cricket is this little character popular from appearing in 'Pinocchio'. It's nice to see him in this as he provides the guiding hand throughout this film. Even his little song that begins the film is reassuring and was originally meant for `Pinocchio' surprisingly. Jiminy comes across two toys - a play doll and a cuddly toy bear - in the house. They to him seem rather sad, and he cheers them up by playing a record on a record player. This leads us onto the first segment, as we are told the story of `Bongo'.

`BONGO'

`Bongo' is a musical light-hearted story that is narrated and sung by Dinah Shore. Now I didn't know much about this story before, and I didn't know who Bongo was either. But I actually really enjoyed this little story as it was pleasant and easy to watch.

This is a story about `three bears' (no, not the one with Goldilocks). It's actually a love story that can be told for anyone who wants to fall in love or even those who are in love and are a couple. The story's rather sweet and reassuring, even with Dinah Shore narrating it.

The story is about Bongo, who is a circus bear that's lived in the circus all his life and is an all-star. Everybody loves Bongo with what he can do with his circus tricks. But Bongo is a unhappy since he doesn't get the treatment he deserves and is longing for a life outside the circus and into the wild. He gets his chance when he manages to escape the train taking him to the next circus stop and finds himself in the wild mountains where animals live. This is the life Bongo wanted. He's happy and is liking the idea of settling in. But it's not so easy as he thinks since the night-life's pretty haunting and on his first night he gets scares and loss of sleep.

Being unfamiliar with the habits of being a bear, Bongo is dissatisfied and doesn't know how to settle into his new home. That is until he comes across a pretty girl bear named Lulubelle, who he immediately falls in love with. It's a lovely sequence where these two bears instantly fall in love with each other, and makes you want to fall in love with the first girl you set your eyes on and have dreams about it. I really liked it. It was such a sweet moment.

But the lovey-dovey atmosphere is spoilt as Bongo has a rival for Lulabelle in the form a big, angry bear named Lumpjaw. Lumpjaw doesn't like the romance between these two bears and wants to break it up. Bongo thinks he's won Lulabelle's heart, but gets upset when she slaps him on the face. He doesn't understand as it's a form of saying `I love you' when it comes to bears. Bears `say it with a slap' when they love you. So Bongo doesn't get it and thinks Lulabelle's rejecting him. Can Bongo win her back or will he lose her to Lumpjaw who's got her in her clutches? Can he realise that the way to say `I love you!' is to `say it with a slap?'

I found watching this story a pleasant experience. I liked Dinah Shore's narration and her singing throughout the entire story since it's more or less a silent film between characters. I don't know much about Dinah Shore apart from knowing she's a well-known singer and actress for TV and films. I heard Dinah recently in an `on-the-air' radio play she did with Bing Crosby that my dad played for me in the car. But she has a lovely voice and she tells the story of `Bongo' so beautifully that was written originally by Sinclair Lewis.

So `Bongo' is a sweet little story to start and set the film up and makes a good first half. I don't dismiss this for one second as it's a love story that is to be cherished by all those who fall in love. So you have your answer. The next time you say `I love you' to someone, just slap the girl or guy on the face. Ha, ha. I'm only joking.

`MICKEY AND THE BEANSTALK'

The second half of the film is the one I'm excited about. The story segment happens to be `Mickey and the Beanstalk' based on the all-time classic `Jack and the Beanstalk', which I remember with great fondness. I remember getting the scares and thrills from watching it. Even today, I still get those thrills and scares that excite me watching it.

I remember watching this even before watching `Fun and Fancy Free'. `Mickey and the Beanstalk' was a story that was on its own when I first watched it on VHS and it was told by a different character - another duck called Ludwig Von Drake (who I always called him `Scrooge' for some reason. Not sure why). But when I found myself watching this story again in `Fun and Fancy Free', I couldn't be more happier and it was so interesting to be seeing it in a different setting and context.

This version of `Mickey and the Beanstalk' has the story being told set in a party that Jiminy stumbles upon. This is where we come to the live action part of the story blending with animation. The party is held in `the house across the way' where we meet Edgar Bergen and his two puppet-like friends Charlie McCarthy and Mortimer Snerd, who are always with him whenever he's about apparently. I didn't know much about Edgar Bergen and his ventriloquist talents in puppetry, as this was the first time I ever saw him with Charlie and Mortimer. But it was a delight to see him and such a treat for him to be the human host telling the story. I found Charlie and Mortimer enjoyable to watch, with Charlie's wise-cracking and sassy remarks and Mortimer's humble yet sort-of dim behaviour. Many years later, I watched Mr. Bergen and his two puppet pals again in an episode of 'The Muppet Show' that brought back memories of them in this.

Joining Mr. Bergen, Charlie and Mortimer in their party is little child actress Luana Patten, who I remember seeing in another Disney film called 'Song of the South' (`Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah!'). To see her in `Fun and Fancy Free' was a delight to watch and nice to connect with the younger audience. I loved how she relayed her curiosity and intrigue about Mr Bergen's story and how she ridiculed Charlie constantly interrupting and admonishing him for `killing the cow' in the story.

I liked how Mr. Bergen and the others in the party experience the story by using their animation as we get to see what's goes on for ourselves in their minds with eyes closed. We watch what's going on in `Mickey and the Beanstalk' with Bergan telling the story and sometimes getting interruptions from Charlie, Mortimer and Luana who comment on the story, which is quite amusing.

Onto the story itself. The story of `Mickey and the Beanstalk' is set long, long ago in a place called Happy Valley where everyone is happy! Figures! The land is cast with a magical spell as everybody's happy from the influence on a singing Golden Harp who lives in a majestic castle in the heart of the valley on top of a hill. But soon the valley is cast with a shadow as something terrible breaks into the castle and steals the Harp away. This leaves the valley into misery and decay, as everything starts to crumble and wither in desolation and everybody loses hope. No more is the valley happy and no more can anything be done to uplift people's spirits. Three of these people are three farmers, who happen to be Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy who live in that valley.

I really like Mickey Mouse in this story. I had no idea by the way that Walt Disney was the original voice for Mickey in the early days. I also had no idea that this film would be the last time Walt would ever voice Mickey. It's amazing the things you don't know and find out about. I like how Mickey gets to lead his friends, making him, Donald and Goofy the perfect Disney trio. It's certainly not the first or last time Mickey, Donald and Goofy would team up together in an adventure such as this.

Donald Duck was funny to watch as well. I laughed when Donald gets fed up and frustrated at their lack of food and `can't stand it', which makes him eat the dinner plates and even drives him mad to go out with an axe to kill the cow who's their best friend. Donald is as ratty and quackey as ever. He's also ready for a fight when it comes to giant dragonflies. Goofy was pretty good too. His most memorable in this story is when he's trying to get his hat over a wobbly layer of pink jelly, that is pretty comical and fun to watch. He's also caught with his `pants' down on the odd occasion.

Mickey is the one who sells the cow and brings back the box of `magic beans' to his friends back home. Mickey loses the beans after Donald throws them away in anger. Later at night in the light of a full moon, someone grows out of the floorboards. We have the sequence where and the beanstalk comes to life. I found this sequence pretty scary and exciting to watch when I was little, and the music added to make it more exciting. The beanstalk grows and grows reaching up in the sky with Mickey, Donald and Goofy's house ontop and with them dangling on the stalks as they go up. This would be my first experience of `Jack and the Beanstalk' before seeing other versions and the idea of something growing onwards and upwards still gives me the chills today. Even when there's a giant on top.

Talking of the giant, we get to learn about him when Mickey, Donald and Goofy come across the castle and they journey through a moat to get to it. I found it terrifying as a youngster when giant dragonflies attacked Mickey and company in a leafy boat and it almost gets caught up in the mouth of a giant trout fish. Mickey and the others soon get inside the castle and are overjoyed at seeing lots of food for them to eat on the giant table. They discover the Harp locked inside a chest-box, and she tells them she was kidnapped by a giant. Mickey's shocked. `A giant?!' I loved it when we cut back to live action, and Mortimer and Luana are equally shocked. So is Jiminy.

Who is this giant then? He's Willie the Giant, who I only just realised is voiced by Billy Gilbert, who has been in plenty of 'Laurel & Hardy' films (`What, walk around?!' from `The Music Box') and he also voiced Sneezy, one of the dwarfs in 'Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs'. Willie the Giant sounds terrifying, being `bigger than four men' and with his `Fee Five Foe Thumb!' He's described by Mr Bergen as `cruel and selfish' who wanted someone to sing him to sleep so he stole the Harp from Happy Valley. It turns out Willie's a joyful soul who's rather like a big kid wanting anything he wants. I love how Billy Gilbert does the voice, making him sound so menacing yet loveable at the same time.

I found it very funny when he wants to be a `pink bunny' to show off to Mickey. Mickey tries to convince Willie the Giant of his greatness and persuades him to become a fly instead of a pink bunny who he and his friends and catch him with a fly-swatter. This they fail dismally. But Mickey tries to get the key off Willie to free his friends and I enjoyed it where we have that climatic chase where Mickey and his friends escape the Giant from his castle with the Harp and get down to the bottom of the beanstalk. It soon ends with `everybody living happy ever after'.

On this DVD, there's a special documentary called `The Story Behind Fun and Fancy Free' that chronicles the making of this film and the two stories before and after the Second World War with Walt Disney, that is very interesting and intrigue to watch and enjoy.

So `Fun and Fancy Free' is a lovely little film containing two stories, one with Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy that's very exciting. I cherish this feature length Disney film. It's something to watch after a hard day to lift your spirits and to enjoy and relax in a comfy chair. Kids will certainly enjoy this film as it's timeless with its themes and music. Don't be downhearted. Just put a smile on your face and be `full of fun and fancy free' as Jiminy Cricket would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say?, 19 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
What can I say? Two classic (and I mean classic) disney tales, the most prominent of which (Mickey and the Beanstalk), is a real landmark for the whole industry. The famous disney characters, all together (a rare occasion) in a funny and dramatic film. Its wondrous what these people can come up with and mickey and the beanstalk (and the entire video in fact) is a true gem. Any real person would love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, but Funny, 26 Jan. 2003
peter thijssen (Eindhoven, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fun And Fancy Free [DVD] [1948] (DVD)
Okay. I am a huge Disney fan and I want to have everything on DVD although I already have it on VHS. If you are a fan, like me this is a must have dvd. Simply because you want to complete your collection. If you just like cartoons this is funny, not great but funny. Fun and fancy free was Disney's ninth full lenght animated classic. It was made during the war time and Disney needed to cut down the cost, so he desided to combine some short films together. Mickey and the Beanstalk is an absolute classic it was the last film in whitch Walt personally provided the voice of Mickey Mouse.
Fun and fancy free is as the title indicates Fun. But nothing Fancy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun And Fancy Free, 19 Jan. 2015
Mr. Beaumont - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Fun and Fancy Free [DVD] (DVD)
Fun And Fancy Free (1947) has two stories In the one film. Both stories are introduced by Jiminy Cricket, who we already know from Pinocchio.

The first called Bongo - The story of a circus bear cub, who runs away from the circus to the wild and the adventures there that follow. This was based on an original story by Sinclair Lewis.

The other half of the film is dedicated to the 2nd story, Mickey and the Beanstalk – A moralized adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk with Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy as peasants who discover temperamental Willie the Giant's castle in the sky through the use of some magic beans.

All in all the DVD is 1hour 10mins long, it also has full English subtitles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Collection almost complete!, 24 Feb. 2013
Thirlwell (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fun And Fancy Free [DVD] [1948] (DVD)
Bought as a gift for my daughter who is collecting the Disney Classics. If you like Disney you'll love this movie, classic disney fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazon, 21 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Fun And Fancy Free [DVD] [1948] (DVD)
i choosed this rating cause it was interesting,there was nothing i disliked about this dvd and would recommend to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, 18 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Fun And Fancy Free [DVD] [1948] (DVD)
A very well received Christmas present, my little girl is absloutely delighted with it, She watches it all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars dvd, 31 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Fun And Fancy Free [DVD] [1948] (DVD)
thankyou for the fast deilvery of the dvd my daughter loves it and it nearly completes our set,so thankyou again

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for Disney collection, 17 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Fun and Fancy Free [DVD] (DVD)
Gift for daughter who is on a mission to get every Disney DVD so I helped by buying her over 60 for christmas , it is Disney they do not make bad movies they are all great

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Fun And Fancy Free [DVD] [1948]
Fun And Fancy Free [DVD] [1948] by Edgar Bergen (DVD - 2002)