5.0 out of 5 stars enthralling, dynamic, entertaining, one of the best
Published on 18 April 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Hindi Film "Lagaan" review
The story plot of the Hindi Film "Lagaan" is interesting. As expected, acting is excellent. In addition the landscapes are particularly beautiful.
Published 18 months ago by Constantine Kalliontzis

5.0 out of 5 stars enthralling, dynamic, entertaining, one of the best, 18 April 2002
This review is from: Lagaan - Once Upon A Time In India [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I have seen many Indian movies and I think I am a bit of a connoisseur. I rate Lagaan among the all-time best. I like the historical perspective. It plays on the fanatic Indian love for cricket and places the colonials in fair light. I found the boyish Aamir came of age for his Direction, in complement to his superb acting. I have seen the film 5 times. I feel proud to say that whereas I am not Indian, my wife is and she did not have to force me to see Lagaan.
I would force many people to see it though and they would be grateful for the chance.
Keep it up Aamir and bravo Bollywood.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bollywood meets Channel 4 meets The Ten Commandments!, 15 April 2002
By A Customer
Sumptuously filmed and tremendously entertaining - plus being a great intro for those who know little about cricket but want to understand more!
The simmering anger of the Indian villagers and the stiff upper lip of the British Raj provides an enjoyable dynamic throughout the film.
The music and choreography are excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great family film, 21 Jan 2005
Darryl Still "daxvondrac" (Bucks) - See all my reviews
My route to this movie is quite longwinded. I am a white englishman, so Bend it Like Beckham is the closest I have come to a Bollywood movie before now, but each year I play cricket against London Theatres and one of their players mentioned that he and a number of his team mates had been to India to play cricket in this film. I then heard that one of them had written a book about the experience "From Balham to Bollywood". So I bought and read the book (which is fascinating) and this led to me checking out the movie.
As I said, I am not experienced in the Bollywood genre, so have nothing to compare it to, but despite the cod-ness of some of the cricket scenes I found myself and my whole family thoroughly enjoying the 3 hour experience of watching this film. Good, old fashioned cinema fun that seems to be going out of fashion elsewhere in the world.
I recommend anybody, whatever race or creed to check out this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars A film in a league of its own!, 18 Dec 2003
By A Customer
Never has such a film been made that is so rich with culture and so beautifully conveys the most poignant spiritual message. It is a film that speaks the truth using the most uplifting music that compels you to dance infront of the sceen.
It is unsurprising that the film has a strong spiritual message since it was made by Indias finest artists. In short the film is a celebration of those who are brave enough to stand by truth.
The film is set in a small simple village in India that is under the rule of the British. The British represent the ego who dominate and try to empower the simple Indian villages by imposing high tax demands on all their crops. There has been no rain and very little food so in desparation they plead with the British rulers to reduce their tax demands. A wager is set by the British ruler. The Indians will play a game of cricket against the English and if they win they will not have to pay tax for three years but if they lose they will have to pay three times as much. The Indians did not know the game of cricket and if they lost they would never be able to afford to pay three times their normal tax. Nonetheless they took on their challenge to fight for their rights and their freedom. The film will leave you feeling embarassed to be English but inspired to make a change in this slowly degenerating world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly indulgent, 19 Jan 2004
Kamran Rahman (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lagaan - Once Upon A Time In India [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
This is the most brilliantly indulgent film making I have ever seen. It really feels like nothing has been held back in this film, from the construction of the nineteenth century village to the unbelievable length of the film. The film is in two simple parts - the first part builds up the characters and the second part is a cricket match. But the beauty of the film is in the care, and considerable time it gives to both parts, which builds up the emotions at the end of the cricket match to a truly nail-biting crescendo. You just couldn't get away with this kind of indulgence in English or American film. The studios would cut down its length to half leaving limp characterisation and not enough of the sporting action.
I highly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only see one Bollywood movie, this should be it, 28 May 2002
This review is from: Lagaan - Once Upon A Time In India [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
This is a movie that was made to perfect from start to finish. The story flowed so well that one would not realise that one has been in an uncomfortable chair for 3 hours and 40 minutes. Before watching this movie I did not understand cricket neither did I have any interest. Since watching the drama on screen I have been both watching and playing cricket. The camera work, direction, production and the actors were fantastic. It is a must see. A real shame it didn't get the Oscar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Movie, 3 Nov 2004
This review is from: Lagaan - Once Upon A Time In India [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
Lagaan is one of the greatest movies of all time in my opinion. It has everything you could want in a movie. I am not the type to watch a 3 hour plus bollywood movie but once i began watching this i didnt move throughout. Seen it so many times since. A great addition to any movie collection. A must have for any movie fan! This movie scores top in every department. It has suspense, comedy and much more. The songs are great too. 10 out of 10!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Simply not Cricket old boy!, 10 Mar 2009
Bob Salter "Captain Spindrift" (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This film was my first experience of Bollywood and I would like to say how pleasantly surprised I was. It has an air of innocence about it that Western cinema has lost. A bit like those old Fred Astaire musicals of the thirties. Sadly films of today have lost a lot of the simple joy that the early cinema bought to the public. But thankfully it is still alive and well in India. I had the pleasure of watching with my Pakistani friend who patiently explained to me matters such as the caste system which is relevant in this film. An added bonus for me!

"Lagaan" stands for land tax. The evil British commander threatens the impoverished nearby villagers with triple tax unless they win a game of cricket. As a keen cricketer this was the carrot that drew me to watch the film, and I am pleased to say that the film demonstrated a sound knowledge of the subject. The spin bowler was unable to exert turn until the ball became old and rash shots were often punished with the loss of a wicket. If you do not understand cricket it does not really matter. You will have a better knowledge by the end, but it is not necessary to enjoy the picture. Sorry if I have made you yawn. The films star Aamir Khan plays Bhuvan who leads the village team who resemble the dirty dozen. They are a very mixed bag of characters including one who is an untouchable and another who can only be described as a complete and utter raving looney. Can Bhuvan turn them into a team in time to face the evil British? I am pleased to report that they are not all rotten to the core as the attractive sister of the evil Officer proves. There is of course romance in the air between Bhuvan and Gauri a very pretty village girl.
The game of course goes to the last ball. For the British it is just a game but for the villagers it is a matter of life or death.

This lovely film is deserving of a tenth anniversary tribute. I would like to make special mention of the dancing which was particularly good fun. Lots of vivid colour and fluid motion. A joy to behold. The film has a long running time which is something I failed to notice until the end. A good sign! I suggest a tasty curry halfway through as I did and you should have a great experience.

Oh, and I was pleased to see that the British umpires remained impeccably neutral. Good no ball call at the end. As you see from this film we are definitely not all bad! Have fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Bollywood movie. Top class., 12 Jan 2005
Darryl Still "daxvondrac" (Bucks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lagaan - Once Upon A Time In India [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I recommend anybody, whatever race or creed to check out this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Family loves it, 23 April 2004
This review is from: Lagaan - Once Upon A Time In India [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I saw this movie on satellite about a year ago and I just loved it and sodid my kids, my youngest wants to try to learn hindi.So I have bought afew books and looking for a software programs thats teaches you Hindi.When I found it in DVD, I knew I had to get it. Now my 2 year old likeswatching because of the singing in it. Job well done in making this movie.It gives sort of a history lesson as to how life is for other countriesand in diffrent eras.My youngest son likes the Jealous scene were Bhuvanand Gauri are dancing and singing about Radja Jalan

Lagaan - Once Upon A Time In India [DVD] [2001]
Lagaan - Once Upon A Time In India [DVD] [2001] by Ashutosh Gowariker (DVD - 2002)
7.79