Format: DVD|Change

on 3 February 2010
I purchased this for wife but I enjoy watching it on occasion mainly for Rupert Everett's humorous turn as Julia Robert's (gay) publisher. There is good chemistry among the actors and after watching the extras I can see why - they had a great time filming this. I won't bother reviewing the film, most likely you know the plot already. My review is geared toward how this Blu-ray compares to the DVD version. While the quality is not 'heads and shoulders' above the DVD it is certainly an improvement. After watching this Blu-ray I compared a few scenes to the DVD, but this was not a direct apples to oranges comparison since my Sony BDP-350 player was up-scaling the DVD video to 1080p. But even on that basis the Blu-ray version was clearly superior. I could not see any DNR or EE in the mastering to Blu-ray, if it was there I could detect it on my 120" front projection screen. I was hoping for a snappier picture with more color pop but the general quality was somewhat flat. Close-ups showed good details such as complexions and other facial features. Objects in the background were better resolved with the Blu-ray versus the up-scaled DVD. Although the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack is mainly across the front, since this film is dialogue driven, there were a few good surround sound scenes like the baseball park, train station, etc. I found I had to set my volume on my Denon receiver several notches higher than usual for a TrueHD soundtrack, but the dialogue easy to discern.

I imported this Blu-ray to the USA since the release in my country has been delayed since September 2008. For the price (including delivery) this was a easy decision to make and I suspect that the eventual USA release will be an almost exact copy of this Blu-ray version but for more money. This is a region-free (ABC) Blu-ray. The extras on the BD are in standard definition and although there is some minor repetition between the different featurettes they were informative and enjoyable. Here are some additional specs:

Region : 0
Running time : 104 minutes
Chapters : 16
Sound : English Dolby Digital TrueHD 5.1
Russian Dolby Digital TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles : Arabic, Bulgarian, Croatian, Danish, English, Estonian, Finnish, Greek, Hindi, Icelandic, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Romanian, Slovenian, Swedish, Turkish, Russian
Picture : Widescreen 2.40:1 1080p MPEG-4/AVC
Extras (SD) :
On the Set: My Best Friend's Wedding.
My Best Friend's Wedding Album.
Wedding Dos and Don'ts.
Unveiled: My Best Friend's Wedding.
Say a Little Prayer Sing-Along.
Trailers.
BD-Live.
on 4 December 2003
How romantic was that!! I suppose the question should be how silly is Michael (Mulroney) to even think about leaving our Jules on the shelf?!!!
I firmly believe that, whilst this film received reasonable recognition when it was released, it didn't receive anywhere near the accolades it warranted. It was quite simply the best romantic comedy of the nineties - bar none.
The film has every comedic element in spades - refreshingly different premise, lovely likeable characters, great script, and two of the most endearing actresses in Hollywood. It throws one back to the screwball romantic comedies of the Howard Hawks/Billy Wilder era - and more than holds its own in that company.
There are so many truly hilarious moments in the film and the actors display a superb comedy touch throughout. Mulroney is occasionally a bit wet, but Julia, Cameron and Rupert are simply outstanding all the way through.
The romantic moments really pull on the heart strings - I was unfortunate enough to watch this film with a bunch of chick-flick haters, but that didn't stop each and everyone of us screaming at the screen for Julia to tell Dermot that she loved him during the ferry scene.
I won't give anything away about the ending but it was certainly refresing.
In summary: one of most under-rated films of the nineties. Every component of the film is flawless - Julia Roberts showing why she is the Queen of Hollywood, superb supporting cast, great comedy, great romance - great romantic comedy.
on 30 March 2016
Roberts is best friends with a man for many years, on hearing that he is to be married, she goes into a crazy spin to derail the event and mary him herself!
Good stuff all around, and satisfyingly unpredictable, my wife and I both had opposing ideas for the ending right up unto the end, I said that she would not get the guy even with all of the crazy plot, my wife said that she would get the guy....
OK, so when you watch it you will know who was right....have fun!
on 2 March 2004
julia roberts is the queen of chick flicks and this film is no exception. If your having a day where all you want to do is put ya feet up and have a good giggle with the girls or even if you are in a sentimental mood and need a good romantic comedy this film has all the right ingrediants: A women hopeless at love, falling in love with her best friend ( on his wedding week) and being rescued by her larger than life openly gay friend.
it is an hilarous film with many fantastic scenes with side splitting comedy. the actors have all develeloped thier characters to a wonderfall level making you fall in love with them all, a partically good perfomance from careron diaz ( kimmy).
no matter your mood this is an excellent, simple film.
on 3 August 2013
To those who have seen this DVD it may be recalled that in the first scene it is established that Julianne's editor, George, is gay which is said in a flippant superficial conversation and this metaphor is repeated on four occasions throughout the film. The next of those scenes is in the taxi after the Groom has a fitting for his suit, but, two points come across; one is that being gay is a misconception while the other is that he, George, enjoys acting as gay; it is a ploy to hide his love for Julianne. Those are plants set to fully comprehend the theme of the story and its final resolution.

The third scene is at dinner with the Bride's family and friends where the Bride relates the tales she heard from the Groom about the past behaviour of Julianne which is clearly fiction. At this juncture George tells the tale of how he and Julianne met which seems to reveal that he is gay but this too is obviously fiction and another ploy to mislead as he is astutely playing the game of hiding his love for Julianne but is also protecting her from further embarrassment. In the final scene when George approaches Julianne on the dance floor, he continues this act by saying, '...and although you quite correctly sense that he is gay (referring to the cameo part being played as a gay) you think, "What the hell?" Life goes on. Maybe there won't be marriage. Maybe there won't be sex (at this point he grimaces) but, by god, there will be dancing!'

The film is not about a love triangle but about a man's love for a woman and how he succeeds at winning her. George is in love with Julianne but recognises her infatuation for her long-term male friend. He recognises that he has to be patient so plays with her at her game anticipating hopefully the final outcome; this is why he takes a plane and flies quite a distance even though he does not like flying. He wants to be by her side when she is in difficulty and it will be noticed that he was always there. He cares deeply about her and so too do the Bride and Groom towards each other. George's and Julianne's attraction for each other in the final scene is that of a heterosexual couple.

While this is an enjoyable romantic comedy that expresses affection and love yet also highlights the caring aspect of all good relationships; it is a modern sophisticated 'Me Tarzan, you Jane' story well acted by all involved.
This is a great film, funny, girly, a little bit mean at times, but great. I have to say that Rupert Everett totally steals this film from Julia Roberts and co. He is wonderful!! The scene where they are all sat at the table, and they start singing Arethas' 'Say A Little Prayer' is an absolute classic, and has me in stitches!! He is so dry and acerbic, and so very funny. I want him for my friend!! Julia Roberts, is of course, excellent, as are Cameron Diaz and Dermot Mulroney, but for me, it is definitely Ruperts' film!! I love it.
on 16 August 2014
Arrived quickly and in good condition. I hadn't seen the film for years but I knew that even by the standards of a RomCom it was lightweight. I just fancied some easy viewing, but I'd forgotten just what a poor film it was. Julia Roberts played Julia Roberts, as usual, and Rupert Everett played Rupert Everett as usual. Cameron Diaz was sufficiently insipid that it was hard to imagine anyone outside Stepford wanting to marry her. I can't tall you anything else about the film since I fell asleep before the end
on 30 December 2012
My husband is a great Julia Roberts fan and so I was surprised to find this film wasn't in the DVD collection. It's one he seems to have missed though I've seen it several times and enjoyed it. He was very pleased to find it under the Xmas tree this year.
on 16 July 2015
Arrived very quickly,well packed.Enjoyed the film but found Julia Roberts character not at all likable.You just couldn't warm to her,but Dermot Mulroney was as gorgeous as ever.It was worth buying the film just to see him.
on 31 March 2015
The review is not about the film as it is one of my favourite romcoms - its about the blu-ray. The picture and sound quality of this American import is superb and well worth the purchase. However, I must warn that this blu-ray does require a region A blu-ray player.