4.0 out of 5 stars A lightweight but heartwarming romantic comedy
Published on 5 Sep 2001 by Lisa Claire (LisaPurpleRain@ao...

3.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray review: a step up in quality...
Published on 3 Feb 2010 by Illustratedman

4.0 out of 5 stars A lightweight but heartwarming romantic comedy, 5 Sep 2001
This is the kookily beautiful Julia Roberts at her quirky best. Whilst My Best Friend's Wedding might not be as polished as Notting Hill, it is the less bland for it. Roberts' best friend is getting married and it is at the point that she finds this fact out that she decides that she cannot let this wedding go ahead because she is in love with the groom to be. Hilarity and pathos ensue as she tries to win back her beau from the delightfully naive and innocent Cameron Diaz. If you want a great girlie movie for a Saturday night in with a box of choccies and a box of kleenex, this is the one to go for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive if implausible romcom - funny and poignant, 18 Mar 2010
Philoctetes (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Best Friend's Wedding [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
I've seen more rom-coms than I care to admit to, and provided you don't make a habit of watching this one on a weekly or even a monthly basis, I think My Best Friend's Wedding is one to place in your top ten. Obviously it's no When Harry Met Sally, but it's still way better than one of those Californian airhead movies.

Roberts' character has a prior claim on the affections of her old friend Mulroney, who shocks her into action when he announces he's marrying THE ONE. Roberts' knows she's the one and plots to steal Mulroney away from Cameron Diaz before the wedding. Rupert Everett plays the gay pal who is the voice of reason.

For all that this is a mainstream movie sometimes sickly sweet and silly, it also has many poignant and tender scenes - for example, when Mulroney and Roberts are on the ferry and again she misses her chance to claim him with a romantic gesture. Love is a competition where the boldest, the uninhibited win and no matter how deep the feelings of the others, they remain also-rans. What prevents this movie being too icky is Roberts' agreeably nasty attempts to undermine the almost cloying (but not quite) affection of Mulroney and Diaz. For all that Diaz's character is sweet like icing sugar, she still demonstrates a toughness and her determination to befriend her rival is clearly a maniuplative strategy to keep the "big-haired food critic" from becoming a threat. The showdown in the ladies' room was a late addition after focus groups complained Roberts was too evil to be sympathetic.

Everett is superb as Roberts' editor, very funny and very camp. Mulroney is also successful at conveying his character's inner turmoil and burgeoning jealousy. It's also nice to see a rom-com where instead of being reliant upon a pop soundtrack, the cast perform the songs themselves, admittedly in rather contrived circumstances.

Just FF the opening titles and you'll love this more than you might anticipate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer entertainment., 23 Mar 2008
laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Best Friend's Wedding [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
This is a great film, funny, girly, a little bit mean at times, but great. I have to say that Rupert Everett totally steals this film from Julia Roberts and co. He is wonderful!! The scene where they are all sat at the table, and they start singing Arethas' 'Say A Little Prayer' is an absolute classic, and has me in stitches!! He is so dry and acerbic, and so very funny. I want him for my friend!! Julia Roberts, is of course, excellent, as are Cameron Diaz and Dermot Mulroney, but for me, it is definitely Ruperts' film!! I love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray review: a step up in quality..., 3 Feb 2010
I purchased this for wife but I enjoy watching it on occasion mainly for Rupert Everett's humorous turn as Julia Robert's (gay) publisher. There is good chemistry among the actors and after watching the extras I can see why - they had a great time filming this. I won't bother reviewing the film, most likely you know the plot already. My review is geared toward how this Blu-ray compares to the DVD version. While the quality is not 'heads and shoulders' above the DVD it is certainly an improvement. After watching this Blu-ray I compared a few scenes to the DVD, but this was not a direct apples to oranges comparison since my Sony BDP-350 player was up-scaling the DVD video to 1080p. But even on that basis the Blu-ray version was clearly superior. I could not see any DNR or EE in the mastering to Blu-ray, if it was there I could detect it on my 120" front projection screen. I was hoping for a snappier picture with more color pop but the general quality was somewhat flat. Close-ups showed good details such as complexions and other facial features. Objects in the background were better resolved with the Blu-ray versus the up-scaled DVD. Although the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack is mainly across the front, since this film is dialogue driven, there were a few good surround sound scenes like the baseball park, train station, etc. I found I had to set my volume on my Denon receiver several notches higher than usual for a TrueHD soundtrack, but the dialogue easy to discern.

I imported this Blu-ray to the USA since the release in my country has been delayed since September 2008. For the price (including delivery) this was a easy decision to make and I suspect that the eventual USA release will be an almost exact copy of this Blu-ray version but for more money. This is a region-free (ABC) Blu-ray. The extras on the BD are in standard definition and although there is some minor repetition between the different featurettes they were informative and enjoyable. Here are some additional specs:

Region : 0
Running time : 104 minutes
Chapters : 16
Sound : English Dolby Digital TrueHD 5.1
Russian Dolby Digital TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles : Arabic, Bulgarian, Croatian, Danish, English, Estonian, Finnish, Greek, Hindi, Icelandic, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Romanian, Slovenian, Swedish, Turkish, Russian
Picture : Widescreen 2.40:1 1080p MPEG-4/AVC
Extras (SD) :
On the Set: My Best Friend's Wedding.
My Best Friend's Wedding Album.
Wedding Dos and Don'ts.
Unveiled: My Best Friend's Wedding.
Say a Little Prayer Sing-Along.
Trailers.
BD-Live.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Under-rated Modern Day Classic, 4 Dec 2003
This review is from: My Best Friend's Wedding [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
How romantic was that!! I suppose the question should be how silly is Michael (Mulroney) to even think about leaving our Jules on the shelf?!!!
I firmly believe that, whilst this film received reasonable recognition when it was released, it didn't receive anywhere near the accolades it warranted. It was quite simply the best romantic comedy of the nineties - bar none.
The film has every comedic element in spades - refreshingly different premise, lovely likeable characters, great script, and two of the most endearing actresses in Hollywood. It throws one back to the screwball romantic comedies of the Howard Hawks/Billy Wilder era - and more than holds its own in that company.
There are so many truly hilarious moments in the film and the actors display a superb comedy touch throughout. Mulroney is occasionally a bit wet, but Julia, Cameron and Rupert are simply outstanding all the way through.
The romantic moments really pull on the heart strings - I was unfortunate enough to watch this film with a bunch of chick-flick haters, but that didn't stop each and everyone of us screaming at the screen for Julia to tell Dermot that she loved him during the ferry scene.
I won't give anything away about the ending but it was certainly refresing.
In summary: one of most under-rated films of the nineties. Every component of the film is flawless - Julia Roberts showing why she is the Queen of Hollywood, superb supporting cast, great comedy, great romance - great romantic comedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars the film to watch, 2 Mar 2004
By A Customer
julia roberts is the queen of chick flicks and this film is no exception. If your having a day where all you want to do is put ya feet up and have a good giggle with the girls or even if you are in a sentimental mood and need a good romantic comedy this film has all the right ingrediants: A women hopeless at love, falling in love with her best friend ( on his wedding week) and being rescued by her larger than life openly gay friend.
it is an hilarous film with many fantastic scenes with side splitting comedy. the actors have all develeloped thier characters to a wonderfall level making you fall in love with them all, a partically good perfomance from careron diaz ( kimmy).
no matter your mood this is an excellent, simple film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Proper girlie flick, 13 July 2013
This review is from: My Best Friend's Wedding [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
One of my favourite films, absolutely love it so really pleased I've purchased it and can watch it anytime over and over again- proper girlie flick

5.0 out of 5 stars My best friends wedding, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: My Best Friend's Wedding [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Fab film we all enjoyed this seen it before bought it to see it again and again it definitely deserves 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE THIS FILM!, 23 April 2013
This review is from: My Best Friend's Wedding [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
This is such a fab film! Really funny and really sweet! I would definitely recommend it :) Good to have on DVD too, as it is one you can easily watch over and over again :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Classic, 5 Mar 2013
This for me is a classic film. I have watch it a million times and probably watch it a million times more.
Its definitely one of Roberts best films.I would recommend this film to anyone who loves a classic rom com.

My Best Friend's Wedding [DVD] [2002]
My Best Friend's Wedding [DVD] [2002] by P.J. Hogan (DVD - 2002)
3.96