Format: DVD|Change

on 5 February 2004
I love this film! It's basically about a middle aged american woman called Cathy who is a huge fan of a singer called Victor Fox who gets murdered. She decides on impulse to go to England for his funeral. There she meets his boyfriend, played by Rupert Everrett and the two of them go to Chicago to solve the case, along with Cathy's daughter in-law who is a dwarf. They are a strange trio but they go together well. They eventually find the cross-bow killer and turn him into the police. Oh, and Julie Andrews keeps popping up and singing for some random reason.
This is a great film full of good sing-a-long music and is very original. It's story is very unusual. Its main theme is being different from everyone else and how society treats unusual people. It's also extemely funny, and I love Rupert Everrett! I still don't understand the Julie Andrews thing though...
on 5 May 2004
This film has to be one of the most off-the-wall zany films I've seen in a long time with a lot of laugh-out-loud moments. I watched it on a whim because I like the actors in it (and believe me there are a lot of well known names here!) and it was thoroughly enjoyable and surprising.
Cathy Bates is wonderful as Grace, a woman who just drifts along in her boring life until her husband decides to leave her for a more fulfilling life. She then obsesses over Victor Fox, a crooner in the style of Tom Jones. He is murdered by a Serial Killer in Grace's home town of Chicago just as she's about to meet him on TV and suddenly Grace becomes the woman she never knew she could be, travelling to England to attend Victor's funeral, then back to Chicago to track down the serial killer. Along the way she helps, and is helped by, her daughter-in-law (who's a dwarf with commitment issues), Victor's secret gay lover (Rupert Everet) and even in some surprisingly funny moments, Julie Andrews, playing herself.
This film is touching, funny, dangerous and absolutely crazy and surreal. Don't take my word for it, you must see this film, if only once, just to appreciate the sense of humour and, also, the absolute insanity of the writers. It’s well worth it!!!!
on 21 November 2004
Not since "A Fish Called Wanda" has there been a perfect blending of American and British comedy all into one movie. "Unconditional Love" is a film worth your time and money to watch. The essential theme to "Unconditional love" is all about the need to be loved and accepted. Why this movie never made it to theater release is beyond me as this movie made me laugh, shed a tear or two, and overall feel good about myself. The only regret I experienced with this movie was discovering that it's wonderful soundtrack sang by the wonderful multi-talented Jonathan Pryce with his handsome singing voice, was never released. A lost for Pryce's fans. Anyway, if you are an admirer of Kathy Bates, Dan Aykroyd, Rupert Everett, Jonathan Pryce, Julie Andrews, Lynn Redgrave, and Barry Manilow, then don't miss a chance to view this nearly lost gem of a movie.
on 15 February 2005
For those of us, and I am sure that I am not alone in this, this is a film that will help us believe that our dreams and aspirations are attainable as long as we don't give up on ourselves. Cathy Bates brilliant portrayal of the housewife with the husband who doesn't want to be married anymore, and the seemingly unrealistic desire to sing in public (even if it does appear to be with her dead hero) made be laugh and cry at the same time. Rupert Everett is, as ever, totally gorgeous and apparently unattainable to us mortal women. He picks up his role from 'My Best Friends Wedding' with ease and plays the boyfriend that no-one must know about with sensitivity combined with a humour that is as poignant as it is funny. The addition of Maudie (the dwarf) with her in-your-face IM DIFFERENT SO WHAT attitude is the aenithesis the other two need.
I loved this film from beginning to end, and it will help me to keep in my heart my dream of singing with Barry Manilow one day.
If Grace can do it, so can I.
on 14 February 2012
What a little gem. Just good strong
characters, and the actors (all) gave
excellent performances. This is a multi-
faceted film covering all kinds of human
frailties, but their strengths prevail,
overcoming what life throws at them.
A feel good film, without a doubt.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 5 February 2012
This is a bighearted film, with lots of fun moments. Kathy Bates is brilliant in the role, ably backed by Rupert Everett and Meredith Eaton, who are both full of zest. The film is playful and inspired, and even though it clearly sets out to entertain, it does make some sly points about wish-fulfilment and reality as opposed to fantasy, as well as subtly promoting minority groups and a prejudice-free world! It also has excellent cameos by Lynn Redgrave and Richard Briers, and Julie Andrews, who bursts into song in the most unlikely places ...
on 10 October 2015
This movie I discovered more than 10 years ago and revisit regularly. It never fails to delight and entertain. Directed by Australian writer/director PJ Hogan (Muriel's Wedding, My Best Friend's Wedding, Peter Pan) this movie is idiosyncratic and very funny - and not everyone gets it. I've given numerous copies of the DVD to friends over the years and coerced others into viewing it - and without exception, my friends have loved it. And the stellar cast headed by Kathy Bates, Rupert Everett and Jonathan Pryce - and very ably supported by Lynn Redgrave, Richard Briers, Meredith Eaton (in a scene stealing performance), Dan Akroyd, Peter Sarsgaard, Stephanie Beacham and Julie Andrews - look as though they enjoyed making this movie as much as I have enjoyed viewing it. If you are a fan of the British version of Death at a Funeral you should enjoy this one too. Give it a go!
on 9 July 2009
This overlooked film is great entertainment and worth its now very low price a dozen times over. The songs are beautifully sung and the acting surprisingly believable given the eccentricity of the plot! This film makes some gentle philosophical points and may challenge your comfort zones here and there but it's well leavened with humour and irony. The bits where Julie Andrews pops up and sings are pure British humour and almost certainly reflect the time when (Sir) Cliff Richard spontaneously led the Wimbledon tennis crowd in a medley of songs to keep spirits up when torrential rain stopped play some years back! This is a film you will watch more than once and rediscover with fond memories when searching your collection for something to make a change from repeats on the tv! Buy it, you'll love it. Peter.
on 2 July 2014
This film although somewhat zany and in parts crazy hit the spot for me. My favourite mix of films set in the US and UK with actors of the same genre! It was all topped off with a finale by my very very favourite singer/entertainer? which was not only a great surprise for me but made the film 5 stars in my book.
on 22 October 2012
This is a brilliant film. Very different in its main characters - middle aged woman, gay (beautiful) man and a dwarf. Superb acting performances by all and how they all meld together to produce a classic comedy, but also an emotionally charged story. Why oh why was this not released.