4.0 out of 5 stars A new take on the old formula - Good!
Published on 26 Dec 2008 by Mr. Philip Cridford

2.0 out of 5 stars A return to the old sound but lacking something
Published on 16 Dec 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars A new take on the old formula - Good!, 26 Dec 2008
This review is from: Aura (Audio CD)
Having read the electicism of the reviews here, I thought I'd be a sensible person to simply get hold of the album and judge for myself. Having been given the album by a friend for Christmas, I immediately proceeded to play it. As loyal fan of this band, I may come across as biased, but I really enjoyed this album; it's consistent, catchy and dark in the right places - it's a Mission album. For me, 'Aura' is like 'Carved In Sand', but not in sound, in spirit. It draws together all the sounds tested by the band up to this point; the arpeggios and pseudo-psychedelia of 'GOM', the straighter, darker sounds of 'Children' and 'Neverland', with splashes of upbeat 'Masque' era tune. This was done on 'Sand' where the straighter sounds of 'First Chapter' met the electicism and musicality of 'Children'. Enough of your brazen criticism, yes it isn't anything challenging - if a formula works, why fiddle with it - but also shows progression - sorry, but if a band wishes to survive, this has to happen. It will take a few listens, but you'll get into it, if you accept it for what it is - a good album.

Highlights are: Evangeline, Shine Like the Stars, Dragonfly, Happy, Cocoon and In Denial

However, if it's 'the best Mission album' you're after, any of the first 4 will do ya!

5.0 out of 5 stars YES!, 11 Jan 2002
This review is from: Aura (Audio CD)
If you've ever loved the Mission, I think that you will love Aura. I've been a fan since the days of The Sisterhood, and have gotten each album on release - until now. After the godawful Masque, the pretty good Neverland and the 90% dreadful Blue, I had, I confess, given up and moved on to pastures new (Tool for example); and so, while I was pleased to hear of a new Mission album, I had no great hopes for it. I'd heard snippets of 'Evangeline' on the Mish site, and thought "hmmm - 'tis First & last & always with awful lyrics" But then, after receiving a nice Christmas bonus from work, I thought 'What the Hell - Just for old times sake...' and ordered Aura from Amazon.
And then the CD arrived... and it really is excellent. True, a few of the songs do seem like re-writes of past ones, and Waynes obbsession with his nether regions makes some of the lyrics a little embarrasing at times, but hey - that's the Mish.
Standout tracks are 'Shine like the Stars' (a beautiful, swiring noisy waltz; 'Slave to Lust' (contains one fo the best riffs Wayne has ever written - a monstrous, thundering epic of a song - Afterglow on steroids); "Dragonfly" (lovely - Butterfly on a Wheel but better!); "Happy" (Does what it says!); 'Cocoon' (atmospheric); and finally the mighty 'In Denial' (epic is too small a word for this one).
As I said, If you've ever liked the Mish, Buy this. It's as though 'baggy' never happened (if only...)

4.0 out of 5 stars Mission carry on like they never went away, 22 Nov 2001
This review is from: Aura (Audio CD)
All songs sound as they that would fit on previous lps, from the early Gods Own time, thru Children, Carved, Maske & Neverland. More Neverland time orientated I'd say, however the 1st 3 tracks are so Gods Own. Then the last 3 are something else new, with 'Burlesque' a sexual rhythmic departure. There is a gap before a bonus slowy song at the end.
A rocky/faster cd than I expected but nothing radical. Lyrically predictable, its the usual stuff but The Mission are about a feeling, this cd will certainly bring back the memories accross the times of their previous cd styles with the new songs.
Cool guitar riffs perfectly timed with the drums as ever plus goth wah wah guitar intros. His perfect voice hasnt deteriated & to me is like hearing a new story from an old friend.
67mins
dwmx

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep the Faith, 12 April 2002
ANT (New Zealand and Samoa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aura (Audio CD)
Finally after 5 years The Mission graces us with another album. It's been a long wait, but worth while. Its a good album. This recording is a strong contender for its place as the best Mission album ever.
It brings together everything that's been good about the Mission since 1986. The gloom, the mood, the classic mish guitar sound, the lyrics and the unique voice of Mr Hussey. It's also nice to hear Craig Adams great bass playing again. Children meets Neverland.
Shine like the stars, Mesmerised, Dragonfly and In Denial are my best picks from this album.
Lets just pray this isnt the last album from Wayne and co ! Keep emm coming lads.

4.0 out of 5 stars A return to form on the vocal and production side + more, 17 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Aura (Audio CD)
So glad Wayne got it back together - the last album (Blue) had good moments but the vocals were so weak and the songs under produced that potentially songs like 'Drown in Blue' and 'Evermore and Again' were lost. This new album is a return to form with a much stronger vocal and fuller production. Best tracks on first listem have to be 'The Light that Pours from You' (I thought this was from mid 80's era when I first heard it). 'Lay Your Hands on Me' (should avoid Bon Jovi titles in future though!) and Melt (the b-side of Evangeline/extra track on Special Edition). All in all so unexpected and superb - I woke up this morning not knowing the Mission had a new album out- I hope it gets the praise it is due and the band go on from here.

4.0 out of 5 stars welcome back, 18 Feb 2002
This review is from: Aura (Audio CD)
Its great to here the mission playing this sort of music again, lets be honest, their not that good at the experimenting type thing, and this album tacks us all back to those 'throwing small bits of paper up into the air' sort of times. This is what their best at, jingley come heavy guitar sounds, persistant thumpy base lines etc. Some of the tracks on this album, really sound like they could have been on the Gods own medicine II album, a 'deliverance' type sound on a few tracks. Evangline is a good one (especially if your a fan of track one side two of First and last and always'. The second track 'shine like the stars is even better' in my opinion the album goes through a bit of a (dodgymission) type phase at 'Happy' and 'to die by your hand', however finishes stongly with cocoon and especially the pained sound voice of Hussey in 'In Denial'.
To cut a reletively long story short, If you used to like the mission, then Get AurA, You will be pleasently suprised.

2.0 out of 5 stars A return to the old sound but lacking something, 16 Dec 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Aura (Audio CD)
I had awaited this release for a long time. I was a big Mission fan in the 80s but lapsed in the early 90s although i have since caught up on their releases. I was therefore very pleased on my first listen of this album to hear that it sounds much more like the early days (up to Carved in Sand). Repeated listens though give the impression of treading water and the whole album seems to lack conviction and soul. maybe i need to get in a darker mood. This may grow on me yet

4.0 out of 5 stars Hussey Can Do It., 5 Dec 2001
The Soft Machine Operator (COVENTRY, WARWICKSHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Aura (Audio CD)
After the downward spiral (Or plummet) of "Masques" (Mission do Wonderstuff), "Neverland" (Where's my tune?) and "Blue" (Instantly forgettable) Hussey proves that he can write a tune.
Right from the opener the Mission sound is back - great hook, groove and even some pomp that made Carved in Sand sound so good. A lot of the songs sound familiar, but the album as a whole is faster, rocky.
A return to form - even if Hussey could be accused of recycling his earlier work.

Aura
Aura by The Mission (Audio CD - 2001)