4.0 out of 5 stars Kimble On The Run
Published on 20 April 2008 by DL Productions UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Film But DVD Quality Picture
Just wanted to make the quick point that this film is an excellent action film (4 stars) but there's not really any point in getting it on Blu-ray as the picture quality is not much better than DVD. I assume this is due the quality of the film prints they had to work with the film being a bit older.

Edit: We have a much better HD TV now and whilst you can see...
Published on 26 Nov. 2010 by Hagrid's Umbrella

4.0 out of 5 stars Kimble On The Run, 20 April 2008
DL Productions UK (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Harrison Ford is Dr Richard Kimble, a specialist at a Chicago hospital. He's out having fun with his wife when he gets a call to do some emergency surgery - so he leaves his wife to go home, as he goes off to help. What he doesn't know is that while he's doing important surgery, some crazed man is killing his wife, and he's squarely put in the frame for her murder, and even sent down for it. Kimble has to prove his innocence - and evade the obsessive Marshal Samuel Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones), who doesn't want to let it slide - he wants Richard, preferably alive.

I really enjoyed The Fugitive, every time you think it can't get better, it does. The action is great and Harrison Ford is very convincing. I also liked the way he kept investigating the case even though he knew the US Marshals were after him.

The HD transfer isn't bad, but not as good as I've seen so far, yet, the MPEG2 running at a steady 20Mbps average is pretty good. The audio is a bit flakey, 448kbps. The picture is full frame 16:9, so you won't be having to peer through a letterbox to watch the action.

The extras are not bad; an introduction, audio commentary which includes Harrison Ford, 2 featurettes and a rather poorly encoded theatrical trailer.

This isn't a bad transfer picture wise, but the audio could have been much better - still if you're an avid Fugitive fan you'll want this, otherwise the DVD is just as good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Film But DVD Quality Picture, 26 Nov. 2010

Edit: We have a much better HD TV now and whilst you can see more detail (e.g. skin imperfections if really look) the overall quality doesn't have the Lushness and clarity you'd expect from HD. Now it's possible that orginally film was shot like that (deliberate and a nod to the old TV show or just not great quality?) but for me didn't look too much better than DVD quality. If you love this film then probably get the blu ray but if its a more casual buy I'd consider the DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FUN!!!, 14 Nov. 2003
This review is from: The Fugitive [1993] [DVD] (DVD)
What a classic! I can watch this film whenever I want and I won't get bored.Who can forget the scene where he jumps into the reservoir from the sewers.Richard(Harrison Ford) plays the role prfectly as the fugitive.He is clever, cunning and ruthless, all at once and Samuel Gerrard(Tommy Lee Jones) is just as good if not better as the federal marshall who will never give up on his prey.
No one could have played these two roles as good as these two actors in my view, although Wesley Snipes does quite a good job in U.S. Marshals.The supporting cast is also very strong, which is probably one of the reasons it was such a huge success.
The two villains are ones that you just love to hate, especially Kimbles FRIEND, who you would just love to smack yourself!! which I suppose is another reason why my eyes were glued to the screen.
Anyone who hasn't seen this film, should do, I recommend it very highly and I'm sure you won't be disappointed as it is really for any age.
Great film, great plot, great acting!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The fugitive's name is Doctor Richard Kimble., 17 Mar. 2013
Spike Owen "John Rouse Merriott Chard" (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Fugitive - Special Edition [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
Dr Kimble is falsely accused and sentenced for the murder of his wife. Whilst being transfered to prison a breakout occurs, seizing his chance, Kimble goes on the run in a desperate search to clear his name. Hot on his tail is staunch Marshall Sam Gerard, a man who always gets his man.

Based on the long running and popular TV series of the same name, The Fugitive stands up as one of the best thrillers of the 90s, it's full of action and tight sequences that dovetail excellently with the who done it plot. The film opens harshly with the murder of Helen Kimble, and we are shown that it wasn't Richard who killed his wife, this puts us firmly onside with Kimble and his pursuit of the truth. Much credit must go to Harrison Ford who layers Kimble perfectly, Kimble is an honest hard working man reduced to fugitive tactics to avoid capture, always seemingly one step away from being caught, Kimble becomes something of a modern day hero figure, and in this Ford excels. As Sam Gerard we have Tommy Lee Jones having the time of his life, gruff and ready for a rumble, and with a quip at every turn, Gerard is a man we know is not to be messed with, and Jones portrays him wonderfully as the obsessive pursuer he is.

From that harsh opening, to a quite breath taking sequence with a train, the film cements itself as a bona fide top draw thriller, however, the second half of the picture, whilst still an intriguing mysterious chase movie, does veer down the formulaic road with it's conspiracy plot line, but it really is a minor complaint that doesn't send the film to averageville. The Fugitive at any one point is never less than great fun, high on action and containing great performances to crown the smart David Twohy/Jeb Stuart screenplay, the film is a winner from start to finish. 9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 17 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Fugitive - Special Edition [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
I love this film so much! It is so flipping action - packed that I didn't dare blink just incase I missed some of the action! I love everything about this film, the acting, the music, everything! I first watched this film on Television and it stunned me so much that I couldn't stop thinking about it while I was asleep. I especially like Harison Ford in this film because I thought that he was the best actor by miles. I just loved the whole film really and I am so pleased that I have now got it on DVD as I can watch it again and again and again and I will hopefully continue to be stunned as I was the first time I watched it. I can not wait to watch it again as I will again get to experience an action - packed adventure! Sometimes I question myself as to how human beings could make a film this good! So in the remaining paragraphs I will be telling you about why this movie is so good and why you should buy it - enjoy......!

Firstly, I love the directing for this film. It is amazing and uses a fantastic use of lighting. I could see everyone and had a wide range of camera shots and angles. The director managed to capture everyone with shots from above as well as shots for the guys who were talking. It also captured all of the action and I was on the edge of my seat for the whole of the film because I couldn't wait to see what happened next because it was so good. To conclude this paragraph, the directing was very good and clever.

Also, I really liked the acting as well. My favourite would have to be Harrison Ford as I just thought that he was more realistic than any other person starring in this film but I still thought that everyone else was good in it. I thought that the acting was incredible and I also liked Tommy Lee Jones as he was realistic as well. So, overall, I really liked the acting in this film and I thought it was very good.

So, to conclude, this was a really good film and I loved it so much as it was full of action. I would recommend this to everyone as I am shore that they would enjoy it and they would almost deffinately be on the edge of their seat for the whole film. Please just try the film and see if you like it.

By the Demon.

4.0 out of 5 stars The running man, 12 Dec. 2007
Trevor Willsmer (London, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Fugitive - Special Edition [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
More than a decade on, The Fugitive holds up surprisingly well, managing to neatly avoid the usual pitfalls of TV-series-to-movie crossovers by opting to tell a single self-contained story rather than trying to set up a new franchise. Thus Harrison Ford's Richard Kimble doesn't go on the road helping strangers resolve their problems because he's too busy trying to evade capture, prove his innocence and catch his wife's killer, making for an entirely satisfying manhunt thriller that stands on its own merits. Chief among them is Tommy Lee Jones, taking over from a dying Richard Jordan and walking off with the movie as his dogged pursuer, getting all the best lines and effortlessly outshining the film's star.

Although not exactly overloaded with extras - audio commentary by Andrew Davis and Tommy Lee Jones, a couple of featurettes including one on the train wreck, trailer and a bizarre introduction by Andrew Davis, Tommy Lee Jones and Harrison Ford - the special edition is definitely worth picking up over the previous barebones release if you stick to the DVD. The first Blu-ray release, however, is infamously poor and looks no better than the DVD and is best avoided - instead track down the region-free US remastered 20th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray, which includes all the extras from the special edition in standard definition and adds a 2000 pilot and a new half hour documentary in high definition as well as a hugely improved widescreen transfer with by far the best picture quality of the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars BLU RAY QUALITY NOT AS BAD AS SOME REVIEWS SUGGEST!, 3 Oct. 2014
Dr. Richard Kimble, played by Harrison Ford, is wrongly charged and convicted of murdering his wife, subsequently, he is given the death sentence. On the way to prison, the prison bus crashes, rolling down an embankment, and promptly landing on railway tracks. Shackled, he escapes with another prisoner, determined to prove his innocence, and bring the real killer to justice. The investigation is promptly took over by Samuel Gerard, played by Tommy Lee Jones, who originally charged him with his wife's murder. Then starts the cat and mouse hunt, hunter and hunted.

This blu ray has had some negative reviews, one review calls it 'mostly abysmal'. But, I think that this is unfair. Yes, there are some scenes that have heavy grain/video noise, but these are restricted to a few scenes, and only last seconds. Generally, the picture looks fine. It's not as good as a new film, but remember it's now over 20 years old, and has not been restored like some older films have.

The film has been transferred in it's original aspect ratio of 1.85:1 and the soundtrack is in 5.1.

4.0 out of 5 stars A breathless thriller!, 20 Feb. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Fugitive - Special Edition [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
The Fugitive is a fantastic thriller, one of the best ever, not succeeding only as a thriller, but also as an action movie and a drama. Harrison Ford stars as Doctor Richard Kimble, a surgeon from Chicago who was falsely accused and convicted of the crime of killing his wife, while avoiding Deputy Marshal Sam Gerard played brilliantly by Tommy Lee Jones and his team who are sent to hunt down the doctor and bring him back to prison. Throughout the movie, Kimble evades the police while trying to track down his wife's real murderer. The script is not outstanding, but the story is elevated by endless suspense, great action scenes, and some intense acting between the two leads. The ending climax is also a fantastic piece of work, filled with suspense and very satisfying. The cinematopgraphy is as naturalistic as possible, creating a sense of realism. The Fugitive is one of the finest in its genre. It holds up brilliantly on repeated viewings and is one of the best action films of the 1990's. Don't miss this film it is a must see.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb Escapism Entertainment., 23 Feb. 2013
B. D. Compton "Gettysburg" (Johannesburg,South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fugitive - Special Edition [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
This 1993 action thriller with an all star cast about a Doctor wtrongly accused for murdering his wife(Harrison Ford), being sentenced to death and escaping after the prison van crashes in bad weather and lands on a railway track, which a goods train then crashes into and gets derailed(Superbly crafted and photographed)and then pursued by an overzealous US Marshall(Tommy Lee Jones)is quite outstanding.

The cinematography is brilliant, the script is excellent, the acting out of the top drawer and action and tension unrelenting. This is the best thriller i have seen since i don't know when.

You will notice that i have only given it 4 stars instead of 5. This is because the storyline at times is really hard to belief. However, don't let that stop you seeing this outstanding piece of filmaking, it really is great escapism entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy remastered region-free 2oth anniversary US import blu ray, 11 April 2014
Robert Coogan (UK) - See all my reviews
Nothing else to say really.
The remastered import disc s very good quality, whilst the UK blue ray is only DVD quality video and audio.
I own the remaster and it was definitely worthwhile.

The Fugitive - Special Edition [DVD] [1993]
The Fugitive - Special Edition [DVD] [1993] by Andrew Davis (DVD - 2002)