5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding
I try to be very critical on the ratings that I give for music on Amazon. I am sure that most people give something five stars because they like it. I believe that 3 stars merits that, 4 stars means that the CD is excellent and 5 stars should be for something special. Well I believe that this CD is something special - outstanding, even.
I have been to Fabric quite a...
Published on 5 Dec 2001 by D. E. Boston

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that impressed
I brought this on the testament of the reviews by others on here & having a liking for Unkle's stuff.

It's ok, but I'm not that impressed to be honest prefered the Herbilser at Fabric.
Published on 23 Mar 2012 by Marvin D. Poole

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 5 Dec 2001
D. E. Boston (Bolton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FABRICLIVE01: James Lavelle (Audio CD)
I have been to Fabric quite a few times, especially on their Fabric Live nights. Whenever I have been it has been to see Adam Freeland, the Stanton Warriors or Plump DJ's. On my visits thier James Lavelle has been working towards the end of the night. He always plays a good set and when he was working with Adam Freeland the set they played was amazing.
So this brings us along nicely to the CD itself. Having an idea of what to expect prompted my to purchase this as soon as possible. When I drove home that night it went straight into my CD player. What I first heard shocked me. It didn't sound like music you heard James Lavelle play at Fabric! Strange. The first few tunes are kinda like trip-hip I suppose; Rare Earth and the Psychonauts. After these it breaks into DJ Shadow's 'Organ Doner' which has become somewhat of an anthem in break-beat scenes. It is not until after the Chemical Brothers' 'Piku' that the disk comes alive! Howie B's 'Hey Jack' sets the tempo before an amazing version of Orbitals 'Funny Break'. The volume was pushed up and my sub started working a little harder! Following on from this is Bushwacka!'s 'Feel it' which smooth bass tones had me grinning from ear to ear. The disk pretty much stays at this hard, pounding tempo for the remainder of the set. Other notable tunes are Green Velvet's 'La La Land' which a vocal talks about Doing Pills and killing braincells in some twisted voice and Medway's 'Release'. The set then ends with a Radiohead tune, which polishes the whole listening experience off.
The packaging is also unique in that when you open the seemingly carboard cover you reveal a tin case. The track listing is easy to read and kitchly coloured.
All in all this is an outstanding CD - well deserving 5 stars. It has even made my top 3 along with Adam Freeland's 'Tectonics' and Stanton Warriors, 'The Stanton Sessions'.
It is the muts nuts!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabric is the greatist mix series, 7 Mar 2009
Mr. M. Bond (Salisbury Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FABRICLIVE01: James Lavelle (Audio CD)
I have just recieved this CD today on the 7th of March 2009, quite a while after it was released. I have been a member of Fabric for a good few years now with nearly 70 of their titles under the belt and plenty more to come I hope. I am a fan of Mo Wax records as well as Ninja Tune, Warp, Skint and so on and for some reason I didn't buy James Lavelle's CD until now and I wish I had bought it a lot longer ago. It is a great mix of Breaks, House and Techno on the euphoric side. Full of Energy but feeling. What Mo Wax and U.N.K.L.E itself stand for in my opinion. I am talking from my view because obviously everyone has different views on music and preference of music. For the Start of the Fabriclive series they couldn't of started better. It has layed the path for such Fabriclive and Fabric titles as Aim, Freq Nasty, Diplo, Tony Humphries, Audion and could also mention so many more quality releases by Fabric.
I am very much in the view that the UK has got to have some of the BEST record labels in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars SICk or ILL?!, 1 Dec 2008
This review is from: FABRICLIVE01: James Lavelle (Audio CD)
Theres only one word for this album, SICK! Starts with a hip hop flava and finishes up with some top draw house/techno! Buy it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars some great tunes, the blokes seriously knows his tunes / ..., 3 Sep 2014
This review is from: FABRICLIVE01: James Lavelle (Audio CD)
some great tunes, the blokes seriously knows his tunes / style and builds up from thd start gonig through an eclectic selection of good tracks. The mixing however is pretty poor.

At some points its 16 beat mixes (ie not a long time) ive always like Djs for a variety of reasons inclusding tune selection / techical ability / style

The mixing is amateurish at best. a bit like my spelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Lavelle, 13 Jun 2009
This review is from: FABRICLIVE01: James Lavelle (Audio CD)
I didn't notice this album for ages. Not sure how I missed it as I loved Global Underground 23: James Lavelle In Barcelona.

I listened to the Barcelona CD for years and wanted something of similar quality. I found it with this one. From Hey Jack to the end of the cd, this is classic Lavelle all the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising, 11 Oct 2013
This review is from: FABRICLIVE01: James Lavelle (Audio CD)
Buy it, listen to it, then listen to it again and again and again,classy album,you will not be dissapointed.Trust me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tunage!!, 2 Dec 2011
This review is from: FABRICLIVE01: James Lavelle (Audio CD)
This CD is a must for any Fabric Live affectionado. You can really see how the genre has developed and getting the CD from where it all started is just brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic opening to the FabricLive Series, 20 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: FABRICLIVE01: James Lavelle (Audio CD)
Many Mo'Wax heads have been drooling for a Lavelle mix available commercially since 1996, but alas they had to wait- until now of course. Many Friday night dwellers in Fabric have also been waiting to hear that captured sound of Lavelle with Richie File spinning those wheels.
The transition during the course of this mix echoes Lavelle's broad musical preferences. The first half of Mo'Wax friendly beats (DJ Shadow's "Organ Donor" and South's "Broken Head II" is taken over by Techno (Chemical Brothers' "Piku" and Howie B's "Hey Jack") and finally with that style he does best- Breakbeat/Big Beat Techno.
I think for me the highlight of this is the Plump DJ's remix of Orbital's "Funny Break (One is Enough). Anyone present at Fabric when this is played will no full well about it- that breakbeat build up is awesome.
I would highly recommend this to any fan of Lavelle's work and to anyone willing to listen to a different direction in DJ work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless, 12 Mar 2004
This review is from: FABRICLIVE01: James Lavelle (Audio CD)
Why, oh why, didn't anyone tell me about this guy? If you haven't heard of James Lavelle and you're wondering whether or not to buy this album, wonder no more. Buy it. I only wish I'd tracked him down at dance festivals in years gone by (I still might ;o)). It's difficult to describe this album other than by saying it's class and everyone 'in the know' seems to own it. However, they're not willing to share their little secret...unless that is, you stumble across it yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars An old favourite..., 4 Jan 2007
This review is from: FABRICLIVE01: James Lavelle (Audio CD)
This is an extremely well put together album - perfect for setting you up for a night out...

Get your mates round, get the beers in, stick it on and warm yourself up for a night on the tiles - with any luck catching Mr Lavelle himself down at Concorde2!

FABRICLIVE01: James Lavelle
FABRICLIVE01: James Lavelle by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2001)