5.0 out of 5 stars Over 20 years of quality
Published on 21 Nov 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars NO NO NO - They're NOT the ORIGINAL tracks...!
Published on 28 Dec 2003 by Mr. Simon Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Over 20 years of quality, 21 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Very Best Of Chris Rea (Audio CD)
The music and songwriting quality runs through this compilation. For the new listeners it will be a chance to hear all the classic songs(Road to Hell, On the Beach, Fool) but also a chance to hear the old songs that are never heard on the radio, such as Steel River and Nothing to fear. As well as the more recent work that has been published in public silence, e.g All summer long and Blue Cafe. For the Rea enthusiasts there are a few differences that make it a worthwhile buy, e.g an edited version of Nothing to fear is magic. The Josiephine track is new arrangement with a more jazzy guitar feel more similar to his live interpretation. The Senna tribute is a reminder of the under-rated La Passione work. There are obviously loads of tracks that could have been included such as Texas, Marvin, Going Fishing, Olive Oil etc.. The only track I don't think should be on here is Driving home for Xmas - perhaps Joys of Xmas would be a better choice. In some ways this 3rd best of should have been a double CD so to really reflect the full and varied range of Rea work - but this should be a great xmas present for all lovers of bluesy rock pop music. Look forward to any new album - as his music never dissapoints! If only other great artists such as Knopfler and McCartney could equal Rea's creative energy. Then again it would cost a fortune!!

2.0 out of 5 stars NO NO NO - They're NOT the ORIGINAL tracks...!, 28 Dec 2003
Mr. Simon Watson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best Of Chris Rea (Audio CD)
I could cry. I asked for this CD for Christmas as, when I was younger, I had several Chris Rea albums on vinyl and I didn't want to buy them all again. But this 'Best of..' album contains some (horrible) reworked tracks from "New Light Through Old Windows" and not the original tracks from the original albums. To my mind, they are now overcomplicated and 'fussy'. If you want the (great) original tracks buy the original albums. I am very disappointed and I feel a bit conned!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, but ANOTHER Best Of, 12 Dec 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Very Best Of Chris Rea (Audio CD)
The songs on this album represent a much better selection than the last, but it is not different enough to warrant many who have the original from buying it. I would have preferred an album of live/unreleased material in the style of the Beatles Anthologies or the CSNY triple album. This album is perfect for anyone who does not have much Rea material. I would have liked to see my favorite song, "Soft Top, Hard Shouder" and "Whatever Happened to Benny Santini" appear, but the inclusion of "Steel River" makes up for it. Great great music, shame we've heard it all before.
(Dancing on a Stony Road - coming soon)

1.0 out of 5 stars another disappointment !, 10 May 2014
This review is from: The Very Best Of Chris Rea (Audio CD)
I bought this on the basis of previous reviews saying that the version of Josephine is close to the original on Shamrock Diaries LP. I was really disappointed to find that is not the case at all - it is just another funked up version which is vastly inferior to the original. Much as I love Chris Rea's music I wish he would not do this with so many of his songs! I have been searching for years for a cd version of Josephine which is the original but I don't think it exists!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris at his best on this album, 22 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Very Best Of Chris Rea (Audio CD)
Brilliant, really enjoyed listening to this every song was good, I picked this album from previous reviews and was not dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars How many great songs can one man write?, 24 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Very Best Of Chris Rea (Audio CD)
Intelligent music that reaches your heart. Finely crafted songs from a unique voice (both literally and metaphorically). Understated guitar but all the more effective for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
Great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 4 May 2014
This review is from: The Very Best Of Chris Rea (Audio CD)
Really love this cd I haven't stopped playing it since it came through the post it so easy and relaxing to listen to

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Memories of a great holiday, 12 Feb 2014
Quick to download and great sound even without speakers. So handy to take on holiday with us, but may get headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 14 Nov 2013
J. A. Whitaker (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
My husband bought this for himself, but I like it more than I did when it was released. This has aged well and what a fabulous voice!

The Very Best Of Chris Rea
The Very Best Of Chris Rea by Chris Rea (Audio CD - 2001)