4.0 out of 5 stars DEFINATELY worth stepping out for

Published on 20 Dec 2001 by M. Speller

2.0 out of 5 stars A Stinker From A Top Band, 20 Dec 2001
M. Speller "mattwareherts" (Herts, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Enough Education To Perform (Audio CD)
When I brought this album, I was just soo excited. Having seen them live at Reading the year previous, and owning both of their previous albums, I was really looking forward to hearing this. Unfortunately, it turned out to stink more than my shin pads after a sweaty game of football. Gone are the songs full of riffs, top tunes (Not to be confused with chunz, these are entirely different I must add), instead are lots of slow, poppy, numbers that teenage girls and mums over 50 are gonna like. (Sorry if you are either of these). Although, over the last 6 months, it has slightly grown on me. Only because of the incessant radio play all these songs get. And I brought it before Glad Rags was added to it. Hump! If you liked there last two albums, don't get it. If some of the songs in the past have been a little too hard on your ears, then put you false teeth in the glass, turn up the fire, put away you walking stick and enjoy. It still gets two stars, because the enigma that surrounds them.

4.0 out of 5 stars DEFINATELY worth stepping out for, 15 Dec 2001
This review is from: Just Enough Education To Perform (Audio CD)
I'm not a diehard stereophonics fan, and do not have any of their previous albums, though not for lack of hearing them. However when I heard their cover of the Rod Stuart track, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase. Definately a good move. While, like others, I am not a great fan of Mr Writer, finding it too chippy to enjoy - it sounds like Jones is really bitter, and this detracts from the music, the rest of the album is great. It is rare to find an album that you can play from beginning to end and not keep skipping songs, but if I start with track 4 (Step on my old size nines) I can quite easily listen away without fiddling with buttons. Really good for the morning after the night before, rather then the night before the morning after, but definately worth buying if you like any of the phonics recent releases - you wont be dissappointed. I have minused one star for the fact that I still haven't really listened to tracks one and two, as they didn't really grab me the first few times so I am still starting with track number four. Dont let this put you off though, as my album is in serious danger of being over-played, so I'll no doubt start listening to them soon for variation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wesh rockers return to their roots, 5 Feb 2002
This review is from: Just Enough Education To Perform (Audio CD)
With the exception of the ubiquitous theme of Summer 2001, 'Have a Nice Day', fans of the previous two albums may find this a lttle less hardcore than the style they are used to.
However, older fans of the great Welsh band of the '80s, The Alarm, may certainly recognise a definitive influence in the gritty, 'heart and soul' tunes belted out by Kelly and the boys. A much more mature, reflective album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant with some great features like songplayer and video, 24 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Just Enough Education (Audio CD)
Brilliant with some great features like songplayer and video, the cd includes acoustic versions of 'lying in the sun' and 'step on my old size nines. the cd rom also gives lyrics to all songs.the main thing is the music which is excellent, a must for any stereophonics fan. my favorite songs are 'mr writer' and 'watch them fly sundays'.the songplayer is greater for anyone learning to play the guitar

2.0 out of 5 stars The most publicised, the least worthit, 6 May 2003
This review is from: Just Enough Education To Perform (Audio CD)
I first heard 'Have a nice day' and thought it rocked. Mellow, everything that sounded of summer and just so damn good. So it was only a matter of time before I was a proud owner of the album. However it was around this time I discovered previous albums 'word gets around' and 'P&C' to discover how much better they are. There's nothing catchy about this album. The phonics have not lost their art for truely thoughtful and original lyrics, but the catchy, indie rock appeal has been sadly dead and buried for their new album. Suprisingly, have a nice day upped their publicity for it's slightly pop appeal, (which is probably why everyone is suddenly such a phonics fan) but everything else is a waste of time. If you're a fan, then see this album as a useful addition. But if you're trying to get to know the band from a friend who told you how great the phonics are, then don't get this one. It's boring, and the only phonics album I have where I actually skip tracks. However, I suppose the odd ones that are good are worth having after you know them well. Hardly infectious I'm afraid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow & Soothing...yet a tad miserable., 15 Feb 2002
This review is from: Just Enough Education To Perform (Audio CD)
I originally heard the first release of JEEP but was lucky enough to wait till I had some cash...finding it was re-released with EXTRA tracks!!!!!
The extra's warrant its re-release and enhance an already very good album.
If you like music to get you high...then this is not for you however...
...JEEP is slow, yet very tuneful, Kelly's vocals are full of magic, yet you might drown wondering why the sadness?
Depending on your mood, you'll like this. when you're feeling down this will strike a chord with you and help to get you back on your feet...but when you're raring to go this may not suffice.
I don't regret buying JEEP, far from it in fact and i do recommend as it's very mature and a great experience at that.
Why 4 stars and not 5?...well if you prefer louder, more jolly upbeat stuff, and I for one sure do, then JEEP's shine won't last all to long. However, despite saying that...this is a very accomplished offering from the trio...fulfilling its purpose of getting you back on your feet. Bravo indeed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not half bad, 16 April 2004
Beautiful Freak (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Just Enough Education To Perform (Audio CD)
Most bands, as they evolve, begin to have a problem with consistency. Stereophonics have managed to develop the opposite problem to most, however: they are, if anything, TOO consistent. This album contains many excelent tunes, but, as in the later album, they are somewhat lost on the rather samey cloud of wallowing. This band has enormous talent, but should perhaps slow down in producing their albums, in order to give the true classics more of a look-in. Have a Nice Day, Handbags and Gladrags and Caravan Holiday are all gems: beautifully mellow vocals, and lyrics and tunes that are either touching or very, very feel-good. You do, however, find yourself waiting for these memorable few as the rest of the album flickers past.
If you want an album that you can listen to in a fairly detached way from beginning to end, this is a good purchase. If you want Stereophonics at their best (and least 'consistent') consider purchasing Word Gets Around, or waiting for a Greatest Hits to give their best songs the setting they deserve.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not their best album but still worth listening to!, 25 April 2002
This review is from: Just Enough Education To Perform (Audio CD)
Stereophonics have been one of the busiest and noisiest acts of late, playing anywhere and everywhere, pushing big singles up the charts and clocking up millions of album sales along the way. Their third album, "Just Enough Education To Perform", however, marks a change from the previous rocky style that has made them the best act to come out of Wales in recent years. Gone are the grinding guitars and fast beats of "Performance And Cocktails" and in their place is an album the Welsh trio believe to be their best yet but that's up to you.
The album still kicks off with a trademark slab of rock, the riff led "Vegas Two Times" hints at the American influences so widely spread throughout the album.
A man with a disfigured face begging on the streets in Portugal inspired the lyrics to the second track, "Lying In The Sun", a song about why people are put on this earth to be less fortunate than others. Kelly Jones said that the beggar was "the saddest thing" he'd ever seen hence the sad, mellow feel to this track.
The album then jumps to the up-tempo "Mr Writer", the first single from this album. It is perhaps the most accomplished song produced by the Stereophonics so far. It's a sarcastic comment against music critics, journalists and other people in the music industry, throbbing with steady beats and brilliant lyrics.
"Step On My Old Size Nines" and "Caravan Holiday" offer a soft and almost romantic alternative to this angst-ridden vibe, with mouth organs and slide guitars featuring heavily.
In another quite mellow track, "Everyday I Think Of Money", Kelly sings about the differences between dreams of fame and money and the reality. It tells a story of stealing a truck full of money and getting caught, proving that money can't buy you happiness.
The cool and calm "Watch Them Fly Sundays" helps to give this album a sentimental feel along with the track "Maybe" which questions where we are and what we are supposed to be doing in life. These songs are more introspective and emotional than the group's previous work. "Have A Nice Day", inspired by a San Francisco taxi driver, provides the proof that the band's time in America has clearly had an effect on their music.
"Nice To Be Out" provides a list of where the band has been and the things they have seen, from where Hitler stood in Nuremberg to the tunnel in Paris where Princess Diana was killed, a "postcard diary" as the band call it in an interview in Q magazine.
The final track on the album, "Rooftop" is a song that will definitely get the crowd moving when played live, it's a pumped up tune about a man standing on a rooftop while a crowd gathers, thinking that he's contemplating jumping off, which he isn't, until he gains the attention of the crowd. Kelly's vocals on this album are as powerful and unique as they always have been, gritty, strong and loaded with pain and pride, his lyrics full of meaning. Yet the irony of several thousand people, happily jumping up and down to "Rooftop" or "Local Boy In The Photograph" (from Word Gets Around), a song about a child who commits suicide by lying down on a railway track, is not lost on the band. Kelly Jones once said of their music, "If you listen to the words and go away and think about what I've written, then great. But at the same time if it takes you away from the factory for five minutes, then we've done our job."
All in all, I loved the album but I don't agree with the band when they say it's their best album so far. I kinda prefer "Word Gets Around" and "Performance and Cocktails".

5.0 out of 5 stars Underestimated, 12 Jun 2002
This review is from: Just Enough Education To Perform (Audio CD)
Unfortunately or maybe that's fortunately I didn't buy the previous albums that established the Stereophonics, and I only bought it as I liked MrWriter so much, and I agree with what's been said- there's no songs that will instantly stand out and will be playing throughout the day, however after a few listens to JEETP all the way through and listening carefully to the lyrics it's quite amazing how he puts such emotion and the 'how it is' emphasis into almost every song. My fave remains MrWriter but I also find Maybe and Nice To Be Out thoroughly enjoyable and a good sing along, I've bought the previous albums and understand people's disappointment that this one didn't quite cut it, but in my opinion it's a totally different compilation of styles that cannot be compared with each other. I think it's unfair that this should be criticised at all, there is no bad song on this disc, however there are GREAT songs on the previous outings, but I think this is more indepth and has more feeling to it. I'm very pleased I bought this and to people comparing this with the others - you can't perfect perfection, but you can get pretty close...and this is it 5/5

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointly Average, 15 Jun 2002
This review is from: Just Enough Education To Perform (Audio CD)
The stereophonics were poised, after a superb debut and very strong second album, to become the best band on regular radio rotation. This album is, however, dull. Regrettably, that is the only word that sums up JEEP- ranging from the boring Step on my old size nines to the incredibly uninspired and frankly irritating Have A Nice Day. Most of the album is forgettable, save perhaps Mr Writer and Las Vegas..., and even when they start to have a good time in the later track it still sounds forced and slightly embarrassing. Overall, a band that promised so much have produced a lazy effort that has dissapointed many fans (including me) although here's hoping that they make amends on their next album. I felt compelled to write this review in response to the seemingly endless parade of 5 star reviews of this album- IT IS NOT A 'CLASSIC'. In conclusion, if you've come to this band through Handbags... etc, you'll probably like this album, but the Stereophonics offer so much more.

Just Enough Education To Perform
Just Enough Education To Perform by Stereophonics (Audio CD - 2006)