Format: Audio CD|Change

For years I was a non-believer. I had folky friends, and they would often try to convert me. "Come along to the Monkey and Accordion this evening and sing a shanty" they would say, an offer I would always meet with a stout nolle prosequi. However, this has all changed since I listened to Through & Through by messrs Spiers and Boden. Suddenly I find myself a born-again shanty-singin', squeeze box-playin' folky, and I'm proud. From the opening verses to the foot-stomping end, this cd represents the young, fresh future of folk music. Move aside Peter Bellamy and your bearded hordes, Squeezy and Jon are here to stay. The lanky, balding fiddle man, Jon Boden, has won high praise from folk legend Martin Carthy, and from this performance it clear why. His mellifluous tones hit all the right notes throughout the album, expertly backed up by his box man, Squeezy. In short, buy this album - it will change your life!
on 5 February 2002
An important and significant new turn for folk music. Almost unwittingly, Boden and Spiers have re-defined traditions and given new and fresh life to the tunes they play. Boden's empassioned singing and spiers' quality combine to create a rare and convincing depth - whether in its highs - see the raucous Rambling Sailor - or in its lows - Boden's tour de force with "Down the Moor"
this is new folk music at its best. They may not be the most aestheticly pleasing nominees for the Horizon award this year, but on significance and power, they should win by a mile.
If you like your folk music like your ale: pure, potent and powerful, this is the album for you.
on 14 July 2013
Lots of good, solid, morris tunes and some cracking songs. A little disappointing that some tracks, like the Rochdale Coconut Dance, appear on previous albums, so there is a bit of overlap. I would've given this five stars had all tracks been new. However, an excellent album to buy if this is your first Spiers and Boden purchase.
on 13 May 2012
Excellent Production, We love it, can't get enough of Spiers & Boden CDs. Once we ordered it, we received it within a couple of days. Thank you Amazon.
on 31 December 2013
Jon and John recently announced that they intend to stop performing as a duo. Whether in this format, in their work with Eliza Carthy or in Bellowhead, they have made an immense contribution to the folk revival in England. The duo format gives them a chance to perform well arranged and capable versions of traditional tunes in a highly satisfying way.
on 22 May 2014
I have all the other Spiers & Boden cds and wanted to hear this early one - it is such a shame they will be touring no more.A great example of their earlier work
on 29 April 2003
I bought this album after seeing the duo live at Sidmouth, I'll have to admit I was a little taken aback at first by the distinctive sound, but now I think its wonderful, I can't stop listening to it! Am looking forward to hearing their new album "Bellow"!
on 3 June 2015
Very much worth buying. This will be even more valued with the news that Bellowhead is ending.
on 31 January 2016
I love these two. Love bellowhead too, but this is the real stuff for me.
on 30 December 2014
what a great couple, really enjoyed this