5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 8 Feb 2005
weatherwitch (Lost in the woods of Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I finally managed to obtain one of these recently after a long search. It was an item recommended to me by the hospital. They are frequently used by the bigger hospitals for rheumatology diseases such as Raynauds Disease or Scleroderma. It improves the circulation to the hands (and/or feet) and improves the skin condition too. It is a heat therapy treatment that can be done at anytime at home and as many times a day as you feel like it too. The heat helps also to combat joint and muscle pain and the heat itself enables the user to gain a little more mobility in their hands. The treatment is also good to help with elbow pain too. When you peel the wax off it was recommended to me to roll it around in my hand which again helps make the joints and muscles work immediately after receiving the treatment. Then you simply drop it back into the bowl and it will melt back to liquid.
It comes with 6 lbs of wax and 60 liners, which I have been reusing too since they can be used several times. These are wrap your hands or feet in once treated with the wax, to maintain the heat for a longer 10-20 minute treatment rather than the shorter treatments. The wax should last a very, very long time before it needs replacing. I was rather dubious about having to keep it permanently switched on for my type of use but the appliance is designed with that in mind, however you must have a safe and secure place to keep it when in use. It has a wide base so hopefully shouldn't get knocked over easily. It is a good size to fit your foot in to, many of the other brands don't seem as big.
My only problem is that I am unable to tell temperatures, and I know that I cannot treat my feet on anything but the lowest temperature setting and my hands on the next setting. However the benefits of the treatment far out weigh this slight problem, I bought it to help my circulation and to help my joint and muscle pain and it has definately done that, the other benefit which I wasn't expecting what that it really would improve the quality of the skin in the treated areas. My hands and feet look really nice now, with a healthy glow to them. I am very pleased with this product indeed. I only wish they were more widely available in this country like they are in America.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for dry hands and feet, 16 Sep 2007
Kathryn (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ParaSpa Deluxe (discontinued by manufacturer) (Personal Care)
I'v have owned my Paraffin Wax Bath for over a year now. It is very good when treating dry hands and feet but I haven't needed to use it for arthritic conditions so I am unable to comment.

Once set up the wax takes at least 3-4 hours to melt but once melted can be kept on 'standby' for future use. This makes it ideal should you need to use it at short notice. It is temperature controlled and I found the recommended setting a little too hot but this can be easily adjusted. If the wax feels too hot then I suggest you try 'dipping' a second time as this will protect you from your first application. This wax bath is large enough to accommodate the largest of feet so it also good for men too.

I very highly recommend using heated hand and feet mitts as they help the moisturising properties of the wax to penetrate more deeply. If using on feet don't forget to remove/file hard skin first for maximum benefit.

Word of warning: Be VERY careful when moving the bath when the wax has melted - I managed to slop wax over the edge of the bath onto my carpet. An absolute nightware to remove!

Otherwise, I really highly rate this wax bath particularly over smaller/cheaper models available in other stores.

5.0 out of 5 stars Para spa deluxe, 26 Aug 2004
Brilliant
Just dip your hands and arms into the warm wax bath.
Really rejuvenates tired, sore muscles and joints, while softening and smoothing skin. It's like having a salon at home and great for arthritis sufferers.
Comes with it's own wax and you can use again and again.
Highly recommended.