4.0 out of 5 stars Classic toy
Published on 17 Oct. 2009 by Opinionated but positive

1.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing
Bought this toy as a gift for my son for christmas.. he loves it.. but while he was playing with it the wood is so ruff he got splinters in his hands.. my partner had to sand it down to make it safe.
Published on 28 Dec. 2012 by Lisa Jayne

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic toy, 17 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Shape Sorting Cube (Toy)
I was looking for a "classic" shape sorter, not for traditions sake, but to allow my 1 year old daughter to clearly identify shapes. Most of the other shape sorters have too many other things going on - as much as she loves bells and whistles, she is very distracted by them. This shape sorter is great - high contrast shapes against the simple natural cube. The only thing that is odd - there is no circle shape!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Shape Sorting Cube (Toy)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great fun but the paint chips and the lid falls off, 14 July 2009
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Shape Sorting Cube (Toy)
The concept of this toy is very good, but I was most disappointed to find that the paint began to chip after only a few days of use. I was so alarmed that I called the manufacturer. The customer service was very quick and helpful and I was assured that the paint was non-toxic, but still, I didn't think the paint should peel on a brand new toy.

Also the lid comes off, so that when your child turns the cube over on its side to find the corresponding slots for the shapes, the ones he's put in already will fall out. I managed to remedy this with a bit of velcro, but I think this problem should have been foreseen at the design level.

Despite these flaws, my son thoroughly enjoys this toy. It does indeed make a satisfying "clunk" sound when the shape falls into the cube, as stated in the advertising. My son seems to enjoy the variety of shapes. It's also great for grouping and naming colours, learning the names of shapes, counting, etc. To conclude, this is a good toy but they really need to improve the paint job and it would be great if the lid could be secured.

3.0 out of 5 stars alright, 19 Dec. 2009
the top of the box is weaker than i had anticipated and the wood is notof brilliant quality (also there is no circle shape but every other shape in the world) but overall for the price it is not so bad

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, 19 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Shape Sorting Cube (Toy)
I was looking for a sturdy shape sorting toy for babies, for my local toddler and baby group. Melissa and Doug are usually brilliant, but this product is not. The box is untreated wood - intant sticky finger prints that won't come off. The lid needs an adult to open and close. There are 12 shapes, some really similar, like two diamonds, one slightly more pronounced than the other. It's just too hard, and very frustrating for my 2 and half year old! No colour coding clues. Both those diamonds are yellow anyway. We took cellophane off to check it out, so now we can't return it. Otherwise I would!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this product, 11 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Shape Sorting Cube (Toy)
I am shocked that this product is being sold in the UK. The toy is designed for small children yet is made of flimsy plywood that even on arrival, while still within the shrink wrapped packaging, could be seen to be warping and splintering. It is dangerous and a risk. I have not even opened the packaging but am returning it immediately. Definitely do not buy this product it is not like the pictures which show a smooth and varnished solid wood finish and could harm anyone handling it as the plywood disintegrates and causes sharp splinters.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, 5 Mar. 2010
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Shape Sorting Cube (Toy)
I bought this shape sorter and sent it straight back. I was looking for a classic wooden toy and cheaply glued layers of plywood is not the same as wood. The plywood was splintering around the shape cut-outs and the paint was already coming off the blocks. So now it looks like China is making cheap 'wooden' toys to replace the cheap plastic toys.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor finish on the wood, 18 May 2013
Bucsa Oana Maria "Seasin" (Sofia, Bulgaria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Shape Sorting Cube (Toy)
This item has never been sanded or treated so that the edges aren't sharp and shardy. A menace for little kids. My 9 months old still puts everything in his mouth as he's teething like crazy, and this toy can hurt him in so many ways I can't even begin to describe. I find this very poor quality-and I'm not talking about the educational use, which I'm sure is fine (and it's why we've bought it), but about the quality of the workmanship. I like buying wooden toys instead of gaudy plastic, but I have to say once I've bought two Melissa&Doug wooden toys (in the same order, so we had no warning about quality!), plastic can be safer! Frayed, shardy, sharp wooden edges are just too dangerous. Just a note, I've also bought a wooden toy from Galt and the finishing couldn't be more different. The toy is nice and smooth and feels perfectly safe.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice quality product., 7 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Shape Sorting Cube (Toy)
This shape cube is nice and solidly made with plenty of different shapes for a child to try. My one year old enjoys playing with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Compressed wood chip , rough and not solid, 3 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Shape Sorting Cube (Toy)
I wanted a decent old fashioned wooden toy that i thought would last but this is an over- priced piece of rubbish! Made from a sort of compressed heat sealed wood-chip it started to chip and flake within a few days use, the lid is very flimsy and doesn't stay in place so the child turns the cube over all the shapes fall out. More worrying is the fact that the paint starts to come off the shapes within a few days, chipped at the corners not the sort of thing you feel is safe for a young child to play with! I bought a few of Melissa & Doug products for Christmas presents and honestly wouldn't recommend any of this brand, very poor quality!

Melissa & Doug Shape Sorting Cube