Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 November 2006
Of course this sort of music is going to appeal to a certain type of person, but I'm assuming that if you're looking at it then you won't be listening to Westlife. Ensiferum are just another folky-metal Viking band, but what sets them apart from the great contemporaries like their mates Turisas and Finntroll is that they, as has already been said, don't overdo the quirkiness.

Ensiferum, both the band and the album, evokes the spirit of the timeless Scandinavian forest (and lick some thundering riffs) without the faintest whiff of pretention. While Turisas have a tendancy towards the silly and some other bands get a bit bogged down in the imagery and meaning, Ensiferum manage to chunder out a killer album packed with meaty filling like Token of Time and Guardians of Fate while sounding like they're having fun. Rarely is it seen (or heard), a band that doesn't need endless line-up changes or psychoanalyists to churn out a storming album and make you smile as well.

Definately stands up to the other albums, and a great place to start if you're just beginning to get fed up with My Chemical Romance. Without wishing to sound like a cheesy pundit, the whole Viking scene made me fall in love with metal all over again and Ensiferum are blazing away at the front. Add it to the basket!
on 2 November 2006
First off, Ensiferum have a special significance to me. This band, indeed this album, was effectively my introduction to metal. It was the songs Hero In A Dream and Token Of Time that sold me on the genre.

Moving on... Ensiferum, like Finntroll, Turisas and others, play something that is probably best described as 'Viking metal'; unlike the others, though, Ensiferum evoke the medieval atmosphere through their melodies rather than heavy use of traditional/folk instruments. That was the thing that struck me when I first heard this album: though it is very much metal, played with bass, drums, electric guitar and growling vocals, it still manages to sound medieval.

Simply put, Ensiferum are, in my opinion, the best medieval metal band out there, and this is their best album.
on 10 August 2011
I'll keep this short - not a lot needs to be said except this is excellent, there is not a bad song on the whole album, and you can tell Jari Mäenpää's had his hands all over this. I sometimes think I prefer Petri Lindroos' vocals, but then I listen to this and I'm sold all over again.
Stand out track is Goblin's Dance, which manages to be ethereal and aggressive at the same time, relentless and wickedly grinning from the speakers and whatever the soundtrtack to the Hobbit is, I will have this song in my head when it comes to the Misty Mountains!
on 3 June 2013
i am happy to wright i got an ENSIFERUM greatest first lp.very,very special quality!BRILLL!! fast delivery fitted packing.good price. an original sound of ENSIFERUM !!!!an original cover in a box!!.EXCITING&LOVE to hear up. bay! bay! bay! worth as well :)
on 31 August 2007
you know, i'm not even going to attempt to describe this epic slab of Viking Metal genius. Let's just put it this way; Ensiferum are one of the most reknowned, most popular and downright best in the whole genre and their self titled debut is legendary in every sense of the word. If you're into Viking Metal or Folk Metal and you don't have this, you can't get into Valhalla when you die.

Its that simple. Buy it. if i could give an album 6 or 7 or 10 stars it would be this one right here. Definitly a timeless album that hasn't grown old on me in all these years, and each new listen is like rediscovering it again, picking up on little bits i didn't catch or had forgetten about.
on 4 December 2010
Really great album! Though I brought this after I hade all ready brought 'From afar' and 'Victory Songs' so it took me a little while to get into Jari's Vocals ect.

Ensiferum are one of my all time Favorite bands but I only gave this album 4 stars as when i compare it to their stuff with Petri on the From Afar and Victory Songs (+ Dragonheads) I dont like it as much.

The best tracks in my opinion are;

Hero in a Dream
Token of Time
Wind Rider
Battle Song
and Goblin Dance
on 1 April 2008
This album has to be without doubt the best album I have bought for...well...years!

My favourite track has to be `Eternal Wait` like 16th Century Tudor music but with bass guitars!

There is not one track on this fantastic album that I don`t like. If you are a little unsure what this Viking Metal thing is all about then I urge you to buy this album and see for yourself.
on 1 December 2006
I can't get enough of this album, it is glorious, heroic, overblown, addictive, easily the best album Ensiferum have done. I can't stop listening to it.
on 16 April 2015
Ensiferum's first album. It's a great album and I'd recommend it to any fan of folk metal ;3
on 26 April 2015