5.0 out of 5 stars Very relaxing, informative and well paced instruction
Published on 26 Nov. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational Introduction but ....not much for your money
This is quite a nice video to have as an introduction to Yoga, as it is very relaxing and Mr Kisen is lovely.
Published on 1 Dec. 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Very relaxing, informative and well paced instruction, 26 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Yoga For Weight Loss By Kisen [DVD] (DVD)
I found that the instructions were easy to follow, well paced and corrective instructions ensured that I was not doing any postures in the wrong way, that could encourage injuries. I enjoyed this DVD very much, compared to the other popular DVD and videos I have for yoga, I found it was so enjoyable that the time flew by. A sign that I not only found it enjoyable, but was able to complete the moves without too much problem, even though I have only been doing it for about two months. I also noticed that Kisens voice was relaxing, promoting a feeling of well being, but not gushing or irritating like some of the other instructors I have followed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Yoga Guru who seems to be a real person!, 20 Jan. 2002
This review is from: Yoga For Weight Loss By Kisen [DVD] (DVD)
I have been put off Yoga in the past by the slightly odd atmosphere of so many videos and DVDs. There's always some 40 something blonde lady fronting it selling the Yoga life and everything that goes with it. However in this I never felt like that.
Perhaps it is the fact that Kisen is male, this means at the back of my mind I'm always thinking 'well if he's done it I'm sure I'm going to be able to'. Above all however he is not airy and over the top about the use of Yoga. He tells in great detail each move and it's power, and so drives the watcher to carry on and do it. He also takes great time in doing it the first time so you get it right and I have now found I longer even need to watch the video only have it as a background help.
I would agree with other reviews that it's a little on the short side, and that the title is some what misleading although not untrue. Also if you're a real aged Yoga freak it won't be demanding enough for you. But for the beginner or never starter in my case it great. Plenty of explaination and time to get it right.
Top with one star deduction for not giving me more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational Introduction but ....not much for your money, 1 Dec. 2001
By A Customer
The title may be a bit misleading though, as the yoga moves demonstrated appear to be no different to any other form of yoga, i.e this video does not contain a set of moves specifically adapted to help people to lose weight, although weight loss is one of the benefits of Yoga in general.
Once you get used to the setting (nearly all of the video is shown in one room where candles and strange pots and things seem to take more centre stage than Kisen himself) he guides you through an interesting variety of postures talking to you about what their benefits are as he goes along.
I found his manner to be very pleasant but I did think he tended to string out some of the moves a bit in order to fill up the video. I found the video to be rather short, and felt that he could have included a lot more moves than he did.
At the end of the video you are left feeling that there should be at least another 2 or 3 sequels in order to really feel you have covered sufficient ground.
One star is docked for the lack of moves that are offered, and the other star for the video setting- it was a little monotonous and would have been better to have switched to a change of scenery for each routine.
Basically its a good video - but there is just not enough of it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you have experience of yoga, 15 Mar. 2004
I bought this video after using a beginners video for a few months. At first I was very disheartened as I found the video a bit quick paced. However, if you take the time to watch the sequences through before diving straight in, it ends up being a really good routine. I do agree with some of the comments made in an earlier review about the plough. If you have not practiced the plough before, this can be dangerous and almost impossible but Kisen does advise you to watch the sequence before attempting it. I'm definitely improving each time I use this video and think it is a video that i will continue to improve with. If you are looking for a video that will last for years to come, this is it. If you expect to master the postures within the first few attempts I'd advise you to pick a different video.

5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant video, 27 Aug. 2003
lauren (southampton, uk) - See all my reviews
i dont agree with any of the negative comments about this video. I think the combination of watching kisen and listening to him is plenty enough so you know what to do. Some parts are a challenge but as Kisen says when you manage to overcome your stiffnesses you can enjoy the postures. Anyone who gives up after the first attempt obviously isn't that commited to loosing weight. Kisen offers different positions so the video is suitable for all levels and you can also progress. I think the part where he says it took him 8 years to achieve a pose is encouraging because it shows viewers that anyone can do it with practice. I still find some parts of the video difficult but my determination to do them keeps me motivated and able to enjoy the video every time I do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful and considered, 20 Dec. 2001
By A Customer
I was delighted by this video. Mr Kisen has a clear and amenable manner which helped me; a complete novice to follow his instructions. The music and sound of his voice seem to carry you from pose to pose and by the end of the relaxation I really did feel lighter and more peaceful. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars yoga with kisen, 27 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Yoga For Weight Loss By Kisen [DVD] (DVD)
this is a really great video.i have bought quite a few and this one is like a proper class,with great instruction,reminders about how to syncronise the breath,and a challenging session that you can grow into.i do it everyday and have learnt so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars A comparitively simple, dynamic session, 10 Nov. 2004
A very useful guide for practitioners who would like to build up a home based, dynamic practise. The routine is not as advanced as Ashtanga Primary Series, though neither is it as relaxed as a Barbara Currie Iyengar based beginners session.
Kisen's presentation is unpretentious compared to many similar video yogi's, he uses simple explanations, and doesn't become too irritating when you've had the tape on hundreds of times.
Not reccomended for those seeking a spiritual guide. Kisen does not refer to the Sanskrit or much of the theory behind the practise, but by calling it 'Yoga For Weight Loss', I think he is more than suggesting his aims. It inspired my practise and changed my view on yoga several years ago and I would certainly reccommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable!, 31 Jan. 2004
By A Customer
This video was my first encounter with yoga (or any form of exercise in recent years), and it got me completely hooked! The mood is perfect for concentration and relaxation. The positions are achievable for beginners yet still challenging several months down the line, as a range of alternatives of differing levels of difficulty are given for each. A truely refreshing and invigorating experience - who would have thought that anything healthy could be that enjoyable!?!

5.0 out of 5 stars i want it back!, 10 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Yoga For Weight Loss By Kisen [DVD] (DVD)
I had this dvd a couple of years ago, and loved it! some of the poses are very challenging, and no wonder it takes 8 years to do!! but the whole flow of the dvd made it go quickly, with the wonderful corpse pose at the end to completely relax you - the best yoga dvd I owned - then I lent it out, and never got it back!!
i do beleive this dvd was the most effective muscle toner & flexibilty improving one I have tried, leaving me feeling like I have done a good work out - and his guidance is great.
now awaiting my new copy with anticipation!

Yoga For Weight Loss By Kisen [DVD]
Yoga For Weight Loss By Kisen [DVD] by Yoga for Weight Loss (DVD - 2004)