4.0 out of 5 stars hip minimalist comedy in the grand manner

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing
Published on 10 Oct 2003 by Ben Bristol

4.0 out of 5 stars hip minimalist comedy in the grand manner, 28 Dec 2001
This review is from: French And Saunders: Live [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
From these two crowned UK comedy ladies, we've come to take too much for granted. This two-hour-long live show is filled with obvious or oblique quotes, both visual and verbal, from the original TV shows; a tribute to their own, unique comedy genius. If you are new to the old TV series, try and catch up ASAP (you don't know what you've been missing). Now, in this live show, the intimate scale which marked their famous, scarcely furnished sitting-room sketches, is lost in a huge stage, but the production standards are very high indeed, with extremely impressive sets and clever visuals. A designer's comedy this is, verging on the coolest chic. Stage direction seems a bit slack by comparison, yet the excellence of the sets and visual effects holds everything together. With such talented comedians, you might be wondering "Why bother?." Well, ask Jennifer Saunders for one, not exactly at her very best here. So, I think you guessed already, this is very much a Dawn French's virtuoso solo with Jennifer Saunders' capable accompaniment -- and Dawn's got it all, although without the razor sharp precision of the studio sketches. It seems Mrs. Saunders has decidedly subdued herself by design, less intense and convincing than usual. But if you love these two comedians as much as I do, you'll certainly enjoy it regardless. Incidentally, the highly stylized, ultra hip video inserts are directed by Jennifer Saunders' husband, multitalented oddball extraordinaire Adrian Edmondson. These contain some of the best laughs: wait for Dawn French's Alphabet sketch -- a minimalist gem with maximum comic impact. And if you still noticed that I withdrew one star from my rating, let's face it: 4-star studded F&S is a delicious four-bonbon box all the same, worth a galaxy of lesser comedians...

5.0 out of 5 stars HYSTERICAL - the only description, 21 Nov 2003
This review is from: French And Saunders: Live [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
After being unable to go and see this when it came round, i got the video, and it truly is hysterical! its just soo good i highly recomend it to anyone!!!!!! One of my favourite dvd's ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 12 Jan 2004
A. MacTaggart "newradical" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: French And Saunders: Live [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
With the usual use of silence to absolute comic perfection and some good old audience interaction, this is classic French and Saunders. Except this time they've decided 'comedy is art' and, while Jennifer tries to stick to this, Dawn sets about ruining everything, ending with Jennifer's quite understandable anger ('What are you, some kind of pathological upstager? Hmm?').
It's a little bit hit and miss - I never like their sketches of old women for some reason - but the video inserts make up for this.
I'm with the other reviewers here - any F&S is good.

5.0 out of 5 stars AbFab, 30 Mar 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: French And Saunders: Live [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Having watched both of the French and Saunders live shows, I must say this one definitely stands out as the superior one for me. Partly this due to the visual effects that simply weren't possible 10 years earlier, but that is not all there is to it. My favourite parts of the show still rely very little on the effects and very much on the hilarious delivery by the wonderful Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders - Dawn's chocolate police and Jennifer's subsequent pole dancing being prime examples.
Some of the sketches are a little less amusing than the others, but all in all I'd recommend this to any true fan of F&S. My only regret is that I couldn't see this live during the tour in 2000.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back in the DAY, 29 April 2012
This review is from: French And Saunders: Live [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
IN THIS ONE THEY ARE STILL ENJOYING EACH OTHERS JOKES. THE USUALLY STONE FACED SAUNDERS HAS TINY TRACES OF A GRIN IN MOST SKETCHES. It proves, once again, they are at their most hysterical when Jennifer is writing the script!

french & saunders LIVE (2000)
amazon purchase review

5.0 out of 5 stars Sooo Funny, 13 Dec 2009
Jjcroad - See all my reviews
This review is from: French And Saunders: Live [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Great Duo there best Gig on DVD. i have seen them live. What a pair very good dvd. and a very good price

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 10 Oct 2003
This review is from: French And Saunders: Live [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
I got this one for christmas, and wanted to get rid of my guests and watch it. So after they eventually left I put the disc in, and... Well I was very disappointed. It seems French and Saunders wanted to be as trendy as can be, and they managed to do just that. But it just doesn't work with their style of commedy. I am not saying it is really bad, but not too far from it. The disc is now collecting dust on my shelf, and I somehow wish I had never watched it. I can't deny though, I have laughed a few times and some of my friends were quite keen on it.

French And Saunders: Live [DVD] [2000]