5.0 out of 5 stars Another good book from O'Reilly
O'Reilly did it again. This one sits on my bookshelf now, almost never referred to. It was handy when learning perl, but since then I have tended to use the more advanced O'Reilly perl books. I finished with this one in a few days.
After all, once you have learned a language, you do not want a tutorial in it, you want a reference.
However, I cannot fault the...
Published on 7 Nov. 2000 by Dewi Morgan

2.0 out of 5 stars Too complex for beginners. Go buy Perl for Dummies instead.
My girlfriend gave up on this book, and is now happily going through Perl for Dummies, which is a much better book to learn from.
The problem is that the book tries to go through all the ways of doing things without adequate explanations. This just resulted in confusing her. It didn't help when I found a syntax error in the book as well.
On the plus side, the...
Published on 17 Nov. 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good book from O'Reilly, 7 Nov. 2000
Dewi Morgan (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
However, I cannot fault the quality of the book for doing what it says on the front: it teaches you perl, and makes that progress about as much fun as it could be in the progress. Like Programming Perl, I found I could read this book from cover to cover, almost like a good novel (well, OK, not exactly like, but it's a lot less dry than almost any other computing text I have read).
I would not recommend buying just this book if you want to use perl regularly. Buy "Programming Perl" as well, at a minimum, since that is a more complete reference. But if all you want is an easy but thorough tutorial, you will not find a better one than this. It will get you up and running fast, and with a smile on your face.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a top book for anyone learning the basics of Perl, 25 Feb. 2000
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
Having started reading this book as someone who had the impression that Perl was difficult to understand and hard to code, I am now enlightened and will be using Perl extensively on my web sites. The explanations were clear, concise and injected with humour. It has completed altered my view on Perl and I cannot recommened this book highly enough. Regular expressions are covered briefly but do need a book by themselves (as published by O'Reilly) and a reasonable knowledge of programming is useful to follow some examples.
This book is very nearly the dog's bits. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-paced learning tool. Recommended, 7 Nov. 1998
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
I came to Perl from Windows, C & Delphi and wanted a quick leg up the learning ladder. This book does just that, but with some caveats. I found it hard to get past the leaden and, to me, very un-funny foreword by Larry Wall. That apart, the book does the job as advertised.
The 1st chapter (A Stroll Through Perl) is tough. It throws in a lot of code without explanation (e.g. use of =~ operator on p.11) and is very Unix-oriented. If you know C, you'll hack it, but this is heavy stuff for a non-programmer wishing to learn. Programming Perl (this book's big brother) is much tougher again. You would need to be an intermediate/advanced C & Unix hacker to go straight into Perl from there. However, if you come to use Perl regularly (and most Windows folk coming here will be using Perl for CGI stuff), you would be well advised to buy both.
The remainder of the book consists of well-paced examples, culminating in a (for me) particularly useful primer on CGI. I have just completed my first fully home-grown large CGI script, and would never have got there without this book (and CGI.pm).
So 4 stars for general content and concept, 1 star lost for dud humour and the whole "Stroll Through Perl" thing which I think increases, rather than flattens the learning curve. Don't be fooled by claims of Perl's natural or intuitive feel. It is only natural and intuitive for "Hello World" programmes. Beyond that, it is natural & intuitive only for those who have been practicing it for years. The rest of us use it like more forgiving version of C.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is excellent value for money, 28 July 2001
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
I have done a reasonable amount of programming: VB, SQL, ASP and know C syntax from university. This book is extremeley clear and concise, well laid out, which makes it a really useful reference and it will make you chuckle. I use it at work frequently. I recommend it without reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lionel learns Perl....and enjoys it!, 26 Nov. 1999
M. Newman (Highbridge, Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
Prepared for some serious headaches I sat down to learn Perl at last. I'd been putting it off for ages, mainly due to the cryptic looking regular expressions so many Perl programs feature. In the event, my fears were unfounded - the conversational style, and assumption that you are not a total idiot (a la the "do this in 10 minutes type book) suited me fine, though I can see it wouldn't suit everyone. What comes across best perhaps is the "feel" of Perl - something that's hard to teach at the best of times! Its actually a good read too - I've been reading it like a novel on the train to work (which probably says more about me than the book!). If you want to learn Perl effectively, go with this rather than any book making hollow promises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Corrections to the Detractors, 25 May 1998
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
Some comments about the author's "programs of such bad taste" are unfair. Randal's teaching by building a simple program into a more complex program. For clarity, he simply retains the ugly original code and tacks on new features. It's self evident that the program should be re-written, but to do so at that point in the tutorial would be disruptive.
Ten is just the perfect score to accord this classic.
This book delivers on what the others promise: Perl in XX Days. Thanks to this book, I learned enough perl to get by with, not in days, but in several hours. A couple weeks later, I had completed the book, and was able to read what I had thought were complex perl scripts. END

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool ... encourage to buy it ...immediately ., 16 July 1998
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
I am junior student in Istanbul University . My major branch stand as PC-Based Computer Engineering so I had to learn something cool gives me the ability to deal with fill-in forms over the Web . I can say it is the most simple book explains the basics of arguments , functions , and CGI programming under Perl . Note: Almostly everything can be done with Java also possible with least code , short time and effort . Notice that Perl Language stand as a Platform independent . Simple , powerful , and strong way to learn it achieved by buying this book .

2.0 out of 5 stars Too complex for beginners. Go buy Perl for Dummies instead., 17 Nov. 2000
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
On the plus side, the exercises at the end of every chapter are good, assuming that you are running on UNIX, which the book seems to take for granted.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect PERL Book, 5 April 2001
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
As a trainer, teaching UNIX and PERL, this book is a must. With a well written and easy to follow style it is the perfect teaching guide.
The examples work, compared to some other book examples, this encourages the students to experiment more knowing that they have a solid start point.
I am on my second copy, wore the first one out!!. My thanks to all who made it possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction to Perl, 12 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
Before I read this book, I knew nothing about the Perl programming language. By the time I finished it, I was hooked and needed more! The writing style is fluid and humorous. I would recommend this book to anybody who has any interest in any area of computer programming! Buy this, then buy 'Programming Perl' because you WILL want more!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

LEARNING PERL
LEARNING PERL by TOM CHRISTIANSEN RANDAL L. SCHWARTZ (Paperback - 1997)
Used & New from: £1.19