5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly beautiful and downright scary!
I love this soundtrack! I had imagined that the battle sequences would sound a little more like 'The Battle' in Gladiator, but this soudntrack REALLY grows on you! 'The Bridge of Khazad Dum' builds up the tension fantastically with it's male voice choirs chanting, in what, I am told, is genuine Dwarfish, and ends with one of the saddest, most tear-jerking pieces of music...
Published on 30 Jan 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the Boxed Set CD
I am someone totally sold on Lord of the Rings, both books and films, and subsiduary texts. You can rest assured that Peter Jackson and team knew what they were doing and have delivered a true to Tolkein rendition of the saga.
The point of adding yet another review to this cd? Simply this, don't buy it! Buy the trilogy boxed set. For just a few more pounds you'll get...
Published on 20 Feb 2004 by Richard Douglason

3.0 out of 5 stars Titanic anyone ?, 15 Jan 2002
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (Audio CD)
I have seen the movie and listened to the soundtrack. Whilst I thought that the movie was great and the soundtrack .... reasonable, I thought it worth raising a few cultural qualms.
What is it with the old Celtic references ? I thought that Tolkein was a professor of middle-English and that his saga was based on the pre-norman England dominated by the basically Germanic Anglo-Saxons and Norse. LOTR's
most direct literary debt is to Beowulf and the Norse sagas rather than the Ladybird book of Celtic myths.
All of the above makes it rather irritating that the film leans and the music positively rushes towards the Celtic, "when Irish eyes are smiling" school of artistic endeavour.
+ is it just me, or is there more than a whiff of the Titanic theme tune about some of the content of the FOTR soundtrack ?

When the flute was laying down its mellifluous motif, I had this sudden memory of the French and Saunders spoof of Titanic's Celtic stereotypes.
Are all "little people" automatically Irish ?
As I said, I very much liked the film, and am looking forward to the next installment. I just hope that the next soundtrack will have more to do with Wagner and less of James Gallway and his magic flute about it.
Enough of the cod Celtic, give us some Northern lights !

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled!, 27 Mar 2002
By A Customer
Thinking of buying this? Listen carefully. If you're into pop music and like stuff you can dance to and listen to while doing your homework, this isn't for you! It's very instrumentally and can be a bit boring. But listening to it will take you right back to the feeling of the wonderful film, and you can remember exactly what's happening when each bit of music is being played. And if your an Enya fan, then you won't be dissapointed. Perfect for music teachers and opera lovers everywhere!

1.0 out of 5 stars Might be nice if i could actually listen to it, 28 Jun 2013
Rebecca (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
Well, I bought this having listened to it before and loved it. BUT when i come to buy it, I receive one that will not play anywhere so i ask for a replacement which also doesn't work anywhere. I am seriously disappointed as i wanted to buy it to put onto my laptop for which would play on my mp3 player which is a shame as this will not occur

I do know that the music itself is stunning and would defiantly recommend it but not from Amazon as my 2 copies have both been of very poor quality

4.0 out of 5 stars Loud and exciting, but untimately unoriginal, 26 Feb 2002
By A Customer
Shore clearly follows in the epic tradition of John Williams, James Horner, back to Rosza and Korngold, and his score is one of the better efforts of the last couple of years. It is sufficiently melodic and eventful to withstand an independent life away from the film, but ultimately fails to be distinctive in the way that a Williams or Goldsmith score always seems to be. The "hobbit" music owes much to the Irish folkiness of Horner's writing for "Titanic" and "Braveheart", while Jerry Goldsmith's "Omen" is clearly the ancestor of the large, choral passages. That said, the score does have some truly beautiful moments, and makes for an enjoyable wallow. But one plea - will someone please write a decent orchestral score that doesn't feature Enya?

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, with no really outstanding themes, 11 Dec 2001
By A Customer
Hands shaking, I pried the CD out of the jewel case and slotted it into the player. I've been anticipating this moment for a long time, being a huge Lord of the Rings fan. What can I say about this soundtrack?
It's good, but universally average. The disc is filled with dark and moody themes, shot through with a dramatic choral overtone, but these aren't tracks you'll find yourself whistling along to. Enya's vocals are surprisingly good, reaching beyond her normally quite limited repertoire.
After the first listen, I was trying to cast my mind back to any memorable moments, but I couldn't find any. No dount this will be the perfect accompaniment to the movie, but it just doesn't stand alone like Hans Zimmer's "Gladiator" soundtrack does.

2.0 out of 5 stars film music is film music, 16 May 2009
This music goes quite well with the film, it doesn't go very well without it. If this sort of music appeals to you, try Sibelius, he did it better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good... but not that great, 19 Sep 2005
This soundtrack is certainly a popular one today but in my opinion, highly overrated. When I saw the movie, I thought that the hobbit music was a standout but remembered little else and the same is true for the CD. It excels in atmosphere and size but (apart from the hobbit music) has very little character; something that I feel is essential in a soundtrack of this sort. If you're hoping to hear the 'Ring Theme' (which is repeated over and over in the first film), it appears only once on the CD and the Nazgul music is a little dominating and repetitive for just one disc (even though the choir does send a nice shiver down the spine). The best thing about this soundtrack is the fact it has given Howard Shore's profile a much-needed push and I hope he can return to top-notch work like "The Fly". If you're a big fan of the movie, then you probably already have it. Otherwise, there are better soundtracks out there.

2.0 out of 5 stars A missed opportunity, 2 Dec 2001
By A Customer
This is a very competent score, especially the opening couple of tracks. What it lacks is excitement. There's nothing here that matches the drive and intensity of the music that features in the trailer - in fact, NONE of it features in the trailer. I was disappointed. Your mileage may vary...

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 17 Jan 2002
By A Customer
From my first listen and after seeing the movie several times, I feel that this score lacks a quality that could stand on its own. A very plain and obvious work that only has moments of promise. I don't feel it does the movie justice. If you want a good score look to James Horner's "Willow". I hope the next one is better. Don't get caught up in the hype!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but not a classic, 20 Nov 2001
When I went to buy Lord Of The Rings soundtrack I thought that I was going to buy one of the best soundtracks of all time.I was a bit dissapointed when I put it to my CD-player and started to listen to it.First of all it remainded me of Conan the Barbarian a lot.It is dark but I thought that there was going to be more to it than that.Enya is great as usual but those two songs doesn't help the soundtrack to be something special.
Despite that I think that it is going to be enjoyed by the most who like gothic music and they loved Conan the Barbarian soundtrack.For the rest of you...avoid it.

The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring
The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring by Howard Shore (Audio CD - 2001)