Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£1.40+ £1.26 shipping

VINE VOICEon 8 September 2004
Having recently bought the delicious Bajafondo Tango Club album (strongly recommended), I'm developing a taste for modern updates on the tango theme. Gotan project was the next logical step in the chain, and I'm not disappointed in the slightest by this cool, seductive dance music that sends a shiver down your spine. Take the original version without remixed bonus tracks and what you have is nigh on perfect late-night music for chilling out or romancing in warm weather.
Subtle blending of electronics, the traditional instruments for creating a tango tempo (eg. bandoneon - related to the accordian - violin and piano) and the creamy, passionate voice of Christina Vilallonga works brilliantly. You will not be disappointed!
The name says it all - "Gotan" is a twist on "tango", the dance that's famed as "the vertical expression of a horizontal desire. Gotan takes the distinctive sound of the Buenos Aires squeezebox or bandoneon, plus violin plus the basic "slooow, sloooow, quick-quick sloooow" pulse and the sultry attitude of the tango, overlays loping bass'n'drums'n'dub and filters the whole mix through a witty Parisian post-modern sensibility.
It's slinky, seductive and very addictive.
And provocative. The opening track "Queremos paz" (We want peace) samples Che Guevara's 1964 address to the UN General Assembly and "El Capitalismo Foraneo" (Foreign Capitalism) echoes with the ghostly presence of Evita Peron. There are cool reworks of Zappa's piece "Chunga's Revenge" and Gato Barbieri's theme for the movie "Last Tango in Paris".
It's lounge, it's mellow, it's sexy and it has just the right edge of sweet Argentinean sadness.
on 3 February 2002
A friend came over my house around Christmas ranting and raving about his latest CD. We tend to compare music we've bought but here was something very different. He also bought over Mondo Grosso's MG4 which I already own and highly recommend.
From the moment that the first track went down I knew that I had to own it. Lo and behold a few weeks later I am now the proud owner of this exquisite "one of the best of 2001" CD. I didn't think that you could revitalise tango music in this way. It is not just that it is the intricate beats and the various other influences thrown in to make this something every serious collector SHOULD HAVE IN THEIR COLLECTION!!
BUY IT YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED......
on 5 May 2004
Actually, you have probably heard this album already; you just don't know it. The slick techno-dub tango beats and silky alto of Cristina Vilallonga is the sort of music that floats around London's coffee shops while you're dipping your nose in cappuccino froth and chilling out.
Just like Favela Chic, Gotan Project is a French take on Latin-American rhythm - though in contrast to Favela, La Revancha del Tango is more Parisian lounge than Argentinean dance, more Serge Gainsbourg than Susana Rinaldi. It offers none of the melodramatic desperation of traditional tango, in spite of a plaintive accordion and film-noir backdrop, crafting rather the cool moodiness of a Massive Attack CD.
It's too polished to be truly sexy, but by tapping into a growing demand for music from outside the Anglo-Saxon pop world, it still offers something new and kind of exciting. So what if it won't take you to the seedy glamour of Buenos Aires? At least you'll get to go to the Latin Quarter in Paris.
on 28 December 2006
Like one of the previous reviewers, I first heard this excellent group playing live on "Later with Jools Holland". Gotan is an incredibly apt name for this outfit; they haven't only mixed up the word 'tango' but have taken the musical genre out of the ballroom and fermented the rhythms with everything from dub to breakbeats and strings as well as the all-important accordion sound. I defy anyone to be disappointed in this album.
on 14 August 2005
This album is amazing! My friend told me about this album after she walked into a video shop and this was playing. She was hooked from the moment she heard it, so I went out to buy it too. Captivating, mystical, French, relaxing, chilled, uplifting - if you are looking for something to chill out to with no cheese attached, then this is a must!
on 11 May 2005
I cannot recommend this album enough. To those who have slated it in the reviews please bare in mind the literal translation of the the work and the the artists name. Of course its not Tango. Its Better.
on 29 May 2002
I like Tango. I hate it when people mess around with Tango music. Therefore I was more than prepared to hate this. I was in fact all geared up to hate this. I had my special hatey shoes on.
But...
Then I heard it, and all was forgiven. Allow everyone on the reviewing list their hyperbolae. This is more than deserved. I'm not sure about the review that compares this to sex, because Tango was that already, so that's a tad redundant, but do your hi-fi and your ears a favour and get this CD now!! And if you catch your ears having sex, then I guess the other reviewer was right!
Heartily recommended!
on 24 October 2001
The music on this cd is a superb blend of Argentinian Tango music and French electro sound. This amalgam of sounds, is a harmonious and smooth experimentation result, creating the ideal relaxing yet uplifting atmosphere. I admit I am hooked to the sounds of this cd with top tracks in my opinion, Vuelvo Al Sur,Una Musica Brutal and Last Tango In Paris. Exceptional musical creations guaranteed to satisfy even the most demanding listener. Without a hesitation 5 stars!!
VINE VOICEon 26 August 2003
Tango to me has always been nice, but a bit cheesey, a formula that conjours up a set of images and moods that are always the same, because the music also tends to be always the same. I saw this lot on the BBC's world music awards, and immediately had my preconceptions shattered. Yes this was tango, but the dj on the turntable??? Surely some mistake??? Here's a startlingly original approach of dusting down a venerable genre, and creating a fresh, inspiring and completely convincing state that exceeds the sum of its parts.