4.0 out of 5 stars Donovan's First, 11 Oct 2010
Greywolf (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: What's Bin Did and What's Bin Hid (Audio CD)
This album was one of the primary soundtracks of my youth, so I may not be all that objective about it, but I'll try. Donovan was just 19 when this album came out in 1965 ... I was 12. At this very early stage of his career, Donovan's record company were trying to position him as Britain's answer to Bob Dylan, and that's pretty evident from this set, including a track by Dylan's idol, Woody Guthrie. Indeed, half the tracks on the album are cover versions of traditional, blues and folk tunes. For my money, it's the songs by Donovan himself that are the strongest. Of these, 'Catch the Wind' is, of course, a classic, while 'Josie,' 'To Sing For You,' and 'Ramblin' Boy' aren't far behind in beautifully expressing a young man's view of love and the world. Another self-penned track, 'Tangerine Puppet,' gives the clearest indication of the psychedelic direction Donovan's work was about to take, leading to such masterpieces as Sunshine Superman: Remastered and Mellow Yellow: Remastered This first album, while not as strong as some of the later work, is still good to listen to, even after all these years. Take my advice and buy up all the Donovan albums on Amazon. He is, in my opinion, one of the most criminally underrated artists of his or any other time and, as a result, his truly excellent, innovative albums are available at ridiculously low prices.

5.0 out of 5 stars You forget..., 6 Oct 2011
Mr. Paul Hayes (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What's Bin Did and What's Bin Hid (Audio CD)
You forget how good this guy was/is. I'm 62 now - and I was still at school when this came out, so it's pure nostalgia - but for those younger folk who missed out on hearing him first-time-around, give yourselves a chance to hear what was going on over on this side of the puddle at the same time that Dylan was taking the world by storm from America. Wonderful poetry accompanied by a superb guitar style.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully presented and rich audio, 14 Jan 2011
B. Stuart "NEW ZEALAND MUSIC FAN" (Dunedin, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What's Bin Did and What's Bin Hid (Audio CD)
My Mother used to play this record back in the 1970's when I was growing up. It has a special place in my heart accordingly and so this deluxe version was a must have.

The recording is sparkly and clean with all the presence of the old LP. The bonus tracks are a welcomed addition and the sleeve notes comprehensive and interesting.

For those of you who have not heard or investigated the charm of Donovan, this album would be a great place to start....forget about the all to frequent comparisons of Donovan to Dylan etc...Donovan is remarkable and this album will not fail to impress fans new or old.

ENJOY!

5.0 out of 5 stars What's Bin Did And What's Bin Hid: Donovan - Great debut from a Ramblin' Boy, 19 Nov 2012
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: What's Bin Did and What's Bin Hid (Audio CD)
Looking to expand my Donovan collection past a couple of `best of' albums, I started with this 1964 debut album for Pye, reissued in 2001 on Castle.

Its a great album of gentle, folky material. Clearly very influenced by Bob Dylan's early work Donovan treats us to a series of gentle guitar led songs that alternate between simple love songs and tracks with a more political edge that decry the state of the world. It contains the original recording of `Colours', a beautiful love song that has to be one of my favourite tracks of all time. Yet to descend into full psychedelic hippiehood, this is a set of elegant simple acoustic tracks that have a quiet and gentle beauty to them.

The re-issue is excellent. Great remastering, interesting extras (including the somewhat different single version of colours) that add to the programme and a great set of liner notes. It's a great place for people to start their classic Donovan collection. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Josie, 24 Jun 2012
This review is from: What's Bin Did and What's Bin Hid (Audio CD)
I was the same age as Donovan when this album came out and my "then" boyfriend bought me it for my birthday ......for obvious reasons !!! We didn't end up together but I am so glad he introduced me to Donovan,such a talent & so underrated, thanks Kenny x

4.0 out of 5 stars Donovan - What's Bin Did and What's Bin Hid, 26 July 2013
Ian R Rix (Little Mountain, Queensland, AU) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What's Bin Did and What's Bin Hid (Audio CD)
I had this album back in the 60s as a teenager. I still love it. Of course, some it is very derivative - Donovan was soaking up influences like everybody else - Dylan, Woody Guthrie, Davy Graham etc. But there was still a lot of originality on that first album, and lots of signposts towards the brilliant stuff Donovan would come out with on albums like Sunshine Superman, Mellow Yellow and A Gift From a Flower to a Garden. Some of his originals, like "To Sing For You" and "Rambling Boy" have an innocent charm to them, "Catch the Wind wwas, and still is a wonderful piece - so poetic, so evocative, and he was still just a kid! What's so nice about re-acquiring an album like this, that one loved in one's youth, is that it's a great reminder of the time in which it first appeared, and yet it still sounds great. As I said, I love it. End of story.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's Bin Did and What's Bin Hid, 10 Feb 2014
Mr Bee (County Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What's Bin Did and What's Bin Hid (Audio CD)
Great to have original Donovan recordings again. Last heard on vinyl 40 years ago! The only quibble I have is that the album is not available on Cloud so I cannot play it on my Kindle.

Mr Bee

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 1 Aug 2009
C. Middlehurst (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What's Bin Did and What's Bin Hid (Audio CD)
Firstly to the last person who reviewed, I found my parents copy of the 12" LP and when i put it on it was just amazing. There will LP versions in old charity shops and such, I love vinyl so much. All in all just a superb album!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Cd's, 7 Jun 2009
Mr. W. A. Edwards "Will Edwards" (Durban South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What's Bin Did and What's Bin Hid (Audio CD)
I used to have this album many years ago on vinyl and was amazed to find it as a CD