Format: Audio CDChange

on 6 April 2009
After many years leading a quintet live and recorded on the MGM label,
Shearing moved to Capitol where he was featured in a wide range of settings from solo pianist to featured soloist with big bands. This compilation by EMI covers a good deal of the Capitol period and shows his great versatility and hus ability to swing no matter what the circumstances. Unless you already have the CDs of Shearing on Capitol, you will find this CD both rewarding and a good introduction to the work of this superb pianist.
Ultimate, it says; which leaves one wondering just exactly what do they think IS the ultimate in respect of George Shearing ? Let me see if I can think of a few other genre titles for these heterogeneous tracks: George Shearing with singing strings: George Shearing with screaming brass; George Shearing adds a few tinkles whilst the orchestra plays; George Shearing with synthesised Aahs and Daahs; George Shearing plays Strictly; George Shearing plays harpsichord; George Shearing plays Stanley Black; George Shearing plays ghastly arrangements...

They do include Baubles and Birdland, which, for me, at least, are the archetypal tracks. Phoenix, by contrast, just made me cringe.

I guess it appeals to some; but I didn't like it ! I thought it was a mess, and not representative of his best by a very long way. Serves me right for being fooled into buying another of these thrown-together re-releases. I should be content with what I've got...
on 2 July 2015
This cd i ordered for a friend of mine, who was very pleased, delivery did not take long at all.
on 10 November 2015
I prefer Shearing playing solo but still great to listen to.
on 23 July 2015
Beautiful, smooth, peaceful listening. Highly recommended.
on 5 August 2010
Jazz critic Nat Hentoff once refered to George Shearing's music as dreary. I thought that unfair,but,some of his stuff can be rather commercially bland as in this album. Too bad, because Shearing can be wonderful. Just not here I'm afraid.
0Comment5 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 November 2013
i brought this for my aunt who loves it. she didn't think it possible to get! it arrived in very good time and in perfect condition.
0Comment2 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse