4.0 out of 5 stars Small and lightweight but very useful
If you order this item, you can be forgiven for thinking that the Amazon box in which it arrives is empty - the viewer is that light and small. It is little more than hand-sized and yet does a really good job.

Published on 22 Jan 2009 by A. J. Sturgess

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasts for two hours
Hama Slide Viewer DB 54, Battery powered

I bought this, got it up and working for a total of two hours. Amazon was brilliant and dispatched a replacement straight away (I had never used the returns procedure and it was very easy). But the replacement broke within two hours as well. I give up. It maybe cheap, but it's not worth it.
Published on 11 Dec 2009 by Alison Moss

4.0 out of 5 stars Small and lightweight but very useful, 22 Jan 2009
A. J. Sturgess "Alan Sturgess" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hama Slide Viewer DB 54, Battery powered (Accessory)

The best way to describe it is 'basic':- A small box with a removable front in case you need to get inside to change the bulb + a traditional battery compartment underneath which takes two standard AA batteries + a slot into which you drop your slides so that they can be gently pressed down to activate the ultra-simple metal contacts inside.

The magnification factor is x3 and the viewer is best held a few feet away (about half arm's length) so that the lens doesn't cause unwanted distortion. The image is very bright and clear.

Like a previous reviewer, I only bought this little unit so as to be able to quickly go through well over a thousand slides taken back in the 1960's and 70's, with a view to deciding which ones I wanted to digitise. For this purpose, the Hama viewer is perfect. It's small size also means that it can easily be stored with the slides without needing much extra space.

As long as you don't want a high-end viewer, I heartily recommend this tiny little product. Good things DO come in small packages!

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied customer, 14 Jan 2007
Mr. Ronald Thomson (SW Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hama Slide Viewer DB 54, Battery powered (Accessory)
The HAMA Slide Viewer gives a very clear magnification to the viewer and helps in what to develope and what not too.After all there are usually a few discards on a spool and,the Hama Viewer helps cut out the wheat from the chaff and,in the long run warrants it's keep.It is not sore on the batteries,as I went through 16 boxes of old slides 1970 vintage which I had forgotten about and,the batteries still have life in them.I'm happy about this purchase and, impressed by the speedy delivery as well.It is an item well worth consideration.

R. Thomson

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasts for two hours, 11 Dec 2009
Hama Slide Viewer DB 54, Battery powered

4.0 out of 5 stars A trip down memory lane, 9 July 2007
C. Hatfield (Leafy Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hama Slide Viewer DB 54, Battery powered (Accessory)
I bought this for my dad to view all his old slides, but I've used it more than he has. Take my advice. Get up the loft and dig out all those old slides. You'll be amazed what you'll find. Then you need to buy a decent transparency scanner. This was meant to be a cheap purchase and now it's going to cost me a fortune! ;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Small and effective, 2 Dec 2009
Brian O'Bree - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hama Slide Viewer DB 54, Battery powered (Accessory)
Chose this viewer based on another review. It is small and shows the slides well. Reason I didn't give a 5 star rating is that I had to change the bulb after only viewing a dozen or so slides. Since then it has been fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars not so good, 4 Oct 2009
This review is from: Hama Slide Viewer DB 54, Battery powered (Accessory)
we purchased this viewer and after viewing approx 20 slides it just stopped working. We returned it and bought a larger view which we are really pleased with.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hama Slide Viewer, 12 Mar 2009
This review is from: Hama Slide Viewer DB 54, Battery powered (Accessory)
This item, at limited cost is ideal for the slide owner to decide whether the slide is worthy of a "slide" scanner or for sending off to be professionally processed. I have done this, but haven't had the CD back yet, so can make no further comment. Beyond this I would have to say that its appeal is limited.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap rubbish, spend more on something better, 4 Dec 2009
This review is from: Hama Slide Viewer DB 54, Battery powered (Accessory)
As per my title, this is cheap, and it shows, it failed within a few days after viewing maybe a couple dozen slides, (I bought it 6 months ago but didnt really get round to using it until yesterday), when I took it apart (it comes apart into three 'modules' so you can replace the bulb), to see what was going on, it was the VERY flimsy way the switch is connected to the bulb,and the held-together-with flimsy-plastic way the bulb was connected into its holder, that made it a failure waiting to happen.

Next time, I'll buy something a lot better constructed.

1.0 out of 5 stars crap - didn't work!, 17 May 2011
Ibraar 'Le Saracen' "le_saracen" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hama Slide Viewer DB 54, Battery powered (Accessory)
Poor build quality, cheap looking and feeling and worse of all - it didn't work! No matter how many new batteries I tried.

FAIL

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: Hama Slide Viewer DB 54, Battery powered (Accessory)
I have been lent a digital slide copier and needed to be able to select slides for copying (from an externsive slide library). Using the copier is quite laborious and I wanted to be able to choose slides for copying before using the digital copier; this simple little gadget enables me to make informed choices as to what to copy and what not to ...