5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EF 300mm excells
Published on 1 Feb. 2010 by Andrew Mccubbin

1.0 out of 5 stars Canon EF 300mm
It wasn't very good, not as much as there previous lens. There was a poor response to light on it.
Published 14 months ago by Mr. R. K. C. Bushell

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EF 300mm excells, 1 Feb. 2010
Andrew Mccubbin (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Image Stabilising Lens (Accessory)
Having had the Sigma f4.5-5.6 120-400mm lens for over a year , i decided to bite the bullet and purchase the Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM for it's quality and it hasn't failed on that .This was something i lost between 300-400mm focus on the Sigma lens , you can alway crop your photos and the sharpnest is not lost with the Canon 300mm lens and works perfectly in low light. It's also a lot lighter on the arm tham the sigma 120-400mm if you are not using a Tripod or Monopod .

It also come with its own attached hood and tripod mount ring, thus saving some money their also compared to other Canon L Lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, 24 Sept. 2013
Just got it to replace broken 100-400 and am pleased its much sharper wide open and almost no iq loss with 1.4 extender so will soon be getting 2x even tho its auto focus will be lost. Only dislike are the slow and noisy IS system and not as effective as the 100-400 IS in my opinion. Will be keeping the 100-400 still for its versatility but doesn't compare in iq terms until stooped down to at least f8 and then I think the prime still just beats it even with the extender

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased so far, 14 Feb. 2014
I already have a 70-200mm F/2.8L, which when used with a 1.4x extender gives me maximum reach of 280mm, but the extender does slow down the auto-focus. I therefore decided to buy this prime lens which gives just a bit more reach than the other combination & the max. f-stop is the same (F/4). It has an integral lens hood which slides out for use & the IS is useful to have. Weight wise, it's quite easy to handle hand-held (especially if you're used to handling the big lenses like the Sigma 50-500mm). I've used it a couple of time so far, in reasonable but not perfect light & the results have been very good. I'm looking forward to better weather when I'll be able to have a good session with this lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens at a great Price, 19 Feb. 2013
Well I spent a very long time thinking about this purchase. Should I get this or a 1.4 x for the 70-200 F2.8. But I am so glad to say I went for my first 300mm prime. The results are fantastic the AF is lightning quick and as you would expect with a Canon L Lens its very well put together. Don't spend as long as I did thinking just get one and start enjoying it straight away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top-notch Lens with adequate image stabilisation, but not cheap., 5 Aug. 2014
Bob D (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
Purchased for walk-around wildlife photography. I have the Sigma 120-300 EX DG OS f2.8 zoom which is superb but somewhat heavy to carry (2.9Kg) so in a mad moment ordered this Canon prime for portability. It works very well IQ wise as you would expect from Canon. The IS is dated as mentioned by other reviewers and it is no better than adequate, but definitely better than no IS at all - I tend to take 4 or 5 shots at a time with this lens instead of 2 or 3 to make sure at least one is nice and sharp. I used to have the Canon 400mm f5.6 which is a great leans IQ wise but with no IS it was very hard to get a decent result unless the weather conditions were bright. To be honest a tripod is needed for the 400mm lens and I just don't want to lug one of those around so it had to go... I will, however, be keeping this 300mm f4 by Canon as it works extremely well with a 1.4x converter without any noticeable autofocus degradation in my opinion - IQ is possibly fractionally worse on heavy cropping but not enough to concern me, and I am picky! Build quality is, as always, excellent.

I can carry the combination of an EOS 7D with this lens plus converter over my shoulder quite happily for fair distances so it suits me well and I'm not as young as I used to be..

Five stars would have been given by me if the IS were better, but don't let that put you off. It's a cracking lens. I can only assume that Canon will at some point bring out an upgraded IS version of this lens but with a hike in price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens, 11 Mar. 2013
J. Curd "slow reader" (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great professional-grade lens and the rare built-in lens hood is great. It also maintains autofocus when twinned with the Canon 1.4X extender which produces an effective 420mm f5.6 lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens, 8 Dec. 2013
I love it and it has added a lot to my photography. It is noisy when using the IS but that is normal and ok once you know that. It make a few odd noises at times but image quality is fab

5.0 out of 5 stars Super 300mm USM IS L Does what it says on the packet!, 15 Nov. 2011
I purchased this addition to my Canon lens two months ago,it has been a real joy to use.I have also used the 1.4 convertor with the lens,and it does slow the auto focus down a little but it is still very useable.I take landscape and wildlife shots around the Moray firth and Cairngorm mountains.
I shall shortly be taking it to Antigua so I am hoping for some impressive shoots whilst out there.
It arrived promptly and has it's own carry case,again high quality.The build standard of the lens is what you would expect from a Canon L series,controls are well placed and easy to operate.

It is also not too heavy to carry about,unlike it's big brother.For the price and the spectacular Bokeh the lens can produce,it is a great all rounder.

Well pleased

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bit of kit., 12 Nov. 2013
So much lighter than the zooms and SOOOOO sharp.
Used it for Rugby and wildlife.
Wish I could afford the F2.8 though.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 STAR Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, 9 Nov. 2012
I thought long and hard before buying this lens i was torn between this and the 70-300L. When i opened the box i was very impressed by the build quality. As soon as it was on the camera i was even more impressed wide open at f4 this lens is very sharp with delightful bokeh. Focusing and image stabiliser both work well and are fast and accurate. The lens comes with tripod mount, lens case and built in lens hood which i think is a really great feature. The lens is not small nor lightweight and not as up to date as the 70-300L but for me this is the right choice.