4.0 out of 5 stars All thriller, no spiller!
"This is Blink, isn't it?" asked my father as he heard the sprightly, syrupy rendition of 'In Too Deep'. I was about to tell him it was Sum 41, but then I, too, paused.
Published on 19 May 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than most pop-punk, but victims of their own 'irony'
Published on 6 Sep 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars All thriller, no spiller!, 19 May 2002
This review is from: All Killer, No Filler (Audio CD)
Personally I don't like the Blink/Sum 41 comparison that many people seem to like making. But it is hard not to. They are in the same brattish, fast-beat, and overall loud genre that is modern-day punk.
What's good about Sum 41 is that they manage to differentiate themselves from many other bands. The foursome manage to make themselves stand out from the crowd in merely their physical actions (watch the 'Fat Lip' video, included with 'All Killer' for good examples of that).
The fact that Bizzy D and Brown Sound don't seem to be able to sing very well doesn't put them off whatsoever. They riff their way through typical kiddish lyrics with no shame at high and powerful speeds, with Stevo32 banging away in the background, seemingly unaware of everything going on around him.
Which is what music should be.
Unlike Wheatus who perform with precision, but sing the wrong songs, Sum41 sing the perfect songs. 'Fat Lip' is the anthem of kids who wish to remain how they are. 'In Too Deep' is teen angst presented in an amusing, fast-paced way, and the opening number 'Nothing on my Back' is truly what it should be: a real welcoming, exciting number.
The result of Sum41's endeavours (even if they didn't try hard!) is a dizzy rush through a world of curious but enjoyable pop-punk.
And that's the sort of thing they enjoy doing.
Live!

4.0 out of 5 stars Short but Sweet, 19 Nov 2004
Ian S. J. Jones (Reading, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Killer, No Filler (Audio CD)
This is the first album I EVER bought as I was a late starter getting into music (in my mid to late teens). A mate showed it to me and I got pretty hooked, so I bought it for myself. The album itself is full of great riffs and good lyrics to match. Yes the tracks are short, but I wouldn't say any of the tracks are duff, bar maybe the first one (but hey that's the introduction). Almost 3 years on and I still play this album once in a while.
The best tracks are "Fat Lip" and "In Too Deep" which are very memorable and you will find yourself singing along when you're home alone. Although the music is mainly rock, there are a few punk signatures here and there. I would recommend this album to most pop/rock loving people, although some people of more refined tastes will not like this sort of stuff. It does bare various similarities to the likes of Linkin Park or Blink 182, but at the same time is different. 4/5

5.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all, 13 Feb 2005
This review is from: All Killer, No Filler (Audio CD)
This is a truely great album and one of Sum 41's best.(if not the best). It doesn't have any filler on the album, and has plenty of great songs. 'Handle this' is a great song that was released as a single. The song 'fat lip' is truely amazing and is one of the best songs Sum 41 have done. This album is a must buy and is one of my favourate c.d's that i own. So Buy It.
And Enjoy

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than most pop-punk, but victims of their own 'irony', 6 Sep 2001
By A Customer
First off- I am not fond of this new breed off pop-punk (blink 182 being the leaders of this commercial genre). However this is not bad- in a catchy poppy way. We're not talking Green Day here, but it'll do. The most damning thing about it is that their jokes are better than their music. "Pain for Pleasure", despite its mocking lyrics and its spoof portrayal in the "Fat Lip" video, is possibly the best thing here. Fine, 80's rock/metal was generally poor, but that riff is incredible and it makes me mourn for the days of Guns 'n' Roses and Metallica. But this CD will at least keep young kids happy and shows that there is (thank god) life beyond Blink 182, just don't expect anything new or particularly interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars All Thriller!!, 16 April 2007
Mark (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Killer, No Filler (Audio CD)
This is an excellent album to lsiten to by Sum 41! The songs are awesome to listen to. There are some fast paced rock songs and some good rhyming (rapping) songs too! Overall this album is just the album you need to listen to to get in the mood for a long day!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 30 Sep 2001
This album rocks. It sounds like a cross between classic greenday and blink 182. Every single track makes your hair stand on end. Sum 41 are doing nothing new, but at least they are doing it with brilliance and style.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for what it is, 15 Dec 2007
Mr. Gavin Mathers "bigbadgav" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Killer, No Filler (Audio CD)
All the folk who are discounting this album for boring pop-punk.... that is what it is! The band aren't trying to pretend its not! For me this album reminds me of good times with my mates years ago, when I was about 14 this was the kinda stuff I was into and it was a great album for what it is. 'Easy listenening' punk... Definitely a good purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't wanna waste my time, and stop this brilliant cd!, 9 Sep 2001
By A Customer
Here it is, a follow up to all the Blink182, Green Day, Offspring, Bowling For Soup and MXPX albums. This is 'All Killer No Filler'. Here we have a Canadian quartet doing what they do best, playing guitar, drums, and basically celebrating being young and dumb. Fat Lip and Nothing On My Back are the tracks to watch out for.... Buy it now!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT!, 12 Aug 2001
By A Customer
Im not really a fan of punk/rock, pop/punk, i actually prefer the more aggressive side of punk eg. "the exploited" and "Hatebreed" but after getting this album i realized that not all punk/rock is boring, talentless, boring and the same. Sum 41 have mixed pop/rock/punk and even old school metal (which is takin the mick abit, but its still not bad) to create an amazing catchy, powerful and exciting LP. Best songs have to be the catchiest ones,eg "fat lip", "Motivation" and "nothing on my back", but just about all the trax are easily listenable even if some sound the same!

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth The Money?, 27 Mar 2002
This review is from: All Killer, No Filler (Audio CD)
I bought this CD before I had heard either of their first two releases. I originally doubted it but slowly I got into it. My fav songs are 'Nothing On My Back', 'Fat Lip' and 'Motivation'. 'Pain For Pleasure' is the best pure rock song I have heard since Led Zepplin! Eventually you start to find similarities between the songs which is "SUMmed" (boom-boom!)up by the lyrics in 'In To Deep' "We're runnin' in circles again", which is why i've only given it 3stars. Overall it is good yet repetitive.

All Killer, No Filler
All Killer, No Filler by Sum 41 (Audio CD - 2001)