5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant, Earthy, and Engaging
Published on 7 Nov 2001 by Michael Pechacek

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm...disappointing.
I waited a long time for this album, but when I finally got it I'm sorry to say I was somewhat disappointed. Although I like the album and for just about any other artist I would say it was good, "This Way" pales in comparison to Jewel's previous work. Although "Pieces of You" and "Spirit" both had their own unique flavour, they were...
Published on 3 Mar 2002 by sunshinegal@angelwings.co.uk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant, Earthy, and Engaging, 7 Nov 2001
Michael Pechacek "biffordmichael" (Austin, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Way (CD) (Audio CD)
Living in The USA the new Jewel CD was available to me early and in just two weeks it is one of my favorites! If you like female singer/songwriters who make music full of melody and beautiful arrangments this is for you! This CD is the closest thing to sitting in a darkened coffee house listening to an artists thoughts, voice, and stories. The first single "Standing Still" is a classic sing along (watch out for the gorgeous videoclip also!), this CD is deep with potential hits. If you liked her heartbreaking songs such as "Hands" and "You Were Meant For Me" then you will LOVE "Break Me", a simple yet elegant ballad. "I Won't Walk Away" sounds like it was recorded in a piano bar, "Jesus Loves You" rocks softly with lyrics that will make you think and smile, and "Love Me, Just Leave Me Alone" just plain rocks! Do not miss this great CD full of beauty and truth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love it!, 14 Sep 2005
This review is from: This Way (CD) (Audio CD)
I bought this CD with no knowledge of Jewel's songs - I just felt like buying a random CD and seeing what it was like, and so this was what I chose and I am so glad that I did.
This CD has become my favourite.
I especially love the songs, Standing Still, This Way and my fave of all; Sometimes It Be That Way.
I can pretty much listen to all of this album without having to skip any tracks. It's an excellent, excellent album and I cannot reccommend it enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute classic!, 17 Mar 2002
This review is from: This Way (CD) (Audio CD)
This is the first of Jewel's albums that I've bought but it won't be the last. It really has to be the best album that I have heard in a long time. In the few days since I bought it, I have just played it again and again and again (how many albums can you say that about?)
It begins with a pop-classic, 'Standing Still', and manages to maintain the high standard throughout. Some of the songs on here remind me of Sheryl Crow, others remind me of the Corrs and others of Lene Marlin, yet Jewel out-does them all!
Stand out tracks for me are: 'Standing Still', 'Everybody Needs Someone Sometime', 'Break Me', 'Cleveland' and 'The New Wild West'.
An absolute classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Follow Jewel, "This Way", and there aint no turning back!, 5 Feb 2002
Mr. C. T. Halloran "Craggle from Scottieland" (Scotland, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Way (CD) (Audio CD)
Thanks to Amazon, I was lucky enough to get this imported 2 weeks ago.
As I am a huge Jewel follower, I couldnt wait any longer to get my hands on this, and Im glad I didnt wait till February.
It opens up with the highly infectious, successful American release, "Standing Still". Then you are unawaringly whisked away into Jewel's Little World with her admiringly original lyrics fitted alongside perfectly with her guitar strums!
Stand-out tracks for me would have to be the tear-jerking "Break Me", the Country and Western layered "Love Me, Just Leave Me Alone" and "Standing Still". No matter what, every song on here has its moment.
I just wish she would be more successful over this side of the world for more people to appreciate her strong never-ending talents!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what I love her music for..., 6 Feb 2005
S. Hammond "bidders86" (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Way (CD) (Audio CD)
I can't understand why some critics slated this fourth album of Jewel's. The first song I heard from it was 'Standing still' on the radio, and although the beat was a modern addition to her usual style, the song really worked, while still retaining her soulfull lyrics and 'one girl and her guitar' style. 'Break me' is such a beautiful song- one of my all-time favourites that just sums up being in love. 'This way' is also a lovely up beat tune reminiscent of her early days, as is 'Grey matter' which is performed Live; Jewel at her best. In the same vein, 'Sometimes it be that way' is a fantastic architypal Jewel song, with feisty, sardonic lyrics -"Well I'm sorry if my heart breaking ruined your day..." and accoustic riffs. Those critics who slated this album should be ASHAMED of themselves...This is Jewel- enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the decade, 8 Aug 2002
This review is from: This Way (CD) (Audio CD)
As a huge Jewel fan this offering did not disappoint me. Miss Kilcher's reflective, often quirky lyrics, set to her unique guitar sound encompass every human emotion. Break Me, for example, can only be described as truly beautiful, while This Way is a candidate for the no.1 single slot. Why oh why has she not received the acclaim that she deserves from this side of the Atlantic? She's massive in the USA, but gets little recognition here in Britain. I recently saw here in concert in Birmingham. She simultaneously fills the heart with joy, sorrow & wonder. She has the most beautiful voice I have ever heard.
I'm fan of a great many artists, covering a wide range from Pink Floyd to Motown, but since I got This Way in March it has not been off the stereo or the car cassette player. This album is a must for all true music lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different from the other albums, but still definately works, 30 April 2002
This review is from: This Way (CD) (Audio CD)
Was a bit shocked when i heard this album, as its a lot more rocky than the others but i hung in there and picked out the classic jewel songs of old like 'Break Me', but then i found myself liking the newer upbeat ones even better.Can't help tapping your toes and after a while stamping your feet.I went to watch her in london a few months ago and it was amazing, louie jen and jonny will vouch for that too.

5.0 out of 5 stars I knew she wouldn't let us down........., 29 Dec 2001
This review is from: This Way (CD) (Audio CD)
Having been inspired by her first two albums I was eagerly awaiting the realease of 'This Way' and I wasn't dissapointed. 'This Way' has more of a 'country' feel than the previous two, but its a direction that she was always headed for and personally I think it shows what a fantastically versatile songwriter she is. I could sit here all day ranting on about good this album is, but instead I'll let you judge for yourself. But believe me, its a good 'un!

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart Searchingly soulful, 3 Dec 2001
This review is from: This Way (CD) (Audio CD)
This long awaited 3rd album i ssurprising in that it builds on what she's created int he first two, here we hear many more influences inclu=ding country and folk, it adds another element to Jewel that wasn't there in spirit. Although the songs aren't as consistent than they were on the last album, some are far better, more secure and complete. A definite must for any fan, but then you already knew that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Country style music with reflective lyrics, 7 Jan 2002
This review is from: This Way (CD) (Audio CD)
As a Jewel fan, I was eagerly awaiting her third offering, and I am not disappointed. The album opens up with the lamenting 'Standing Still' (maybe comparable to 'What's Simple Is True' from 'Spirit') a haunting guitar alongside a very catchy tune. There is a general country music sound in this album but it doesn't spoilt it. 'This Way' boasts a poppy sound with strong backing vocals, 'Everybody Needs Someone Sometime' manifests Jewel's humour and reflectiveness which is indigenous to her music. 'Grey Matter' is a bonus track, but it deserves to be a solid part of the album, performed live, it demonstrates Jewel's gift for playing the guitar and her strong vocals, simple, but quite simply stunning. My favourite track on this album.
'Break Me' takes a more subdued approach, whilst you want to sing along to 'Cleveland' with it's lively tune and chorus.' I Won't Walk Away' displays Jewel's ranging vocals and a catchy beat.
Any avid Jewel fan is going to be in for a pleasant surprise.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

This Way (CD)
This Way (CD) by Jewel (Audio CD - 2002)