5.0 out of 5 stars Crikey...
The first few listens of this gem will probably confuse the bejazus out of you. You simply cant figure out what the hell is coming out of your speakers its so damned chaotic and demented, but you quickly learn to love it. If like me your interested in guitar based music has been put to sleep by American post-grunge slop and the even more insidious yawnings of Travis et...
Published on 24 Jan. 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Best of
Let it be said that when "Your New Favorite Band" was first released, it was far too early for the Hives to have a "best of" album -- they only had EPs and two albums in the bag. But it is a good sampler of their best songs, and a good introduction to their rough, raw brand of garage punk.

"Your New Favorite Band" takes four tracks from their breakout album,...
Published on 22 July 2005 by EA Solinas

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT my new favourite band, 13 April 2002
This review is from: Your New Favourite Band (Audio CD)
I thought I'd give this lot a chance after reading the good reviews on here. There is a definite swagger to the first few catchy tracks(although the first couple of songs seem to have a virtually identical guitar riff). However by halfway through I was quickly losing interest as there is a lack of imagination and too many samey songs. None of the lyrics grabbed my attention and also the album is really short at under 30 mins. Considering this is apparently a compilation of their best work that was a disappointment. I would advise anyone reading this to buy any of Weezer's albums instead (also short but light years ahead of this run of the mill stuff both musically and lyrically).

1.0 out of 5 stars It made me throw my hi-fi out of the window..., 30 May 2002
This review is from: Your New Favourite Band (Audio CD)
I got hold of this album purely based on the reviews on this site. For starters we'll forgive the album title - is it supposed to be ironic or what? The album is under 30 mins long, which I wouldn't mind if the music had any redeeming qualities. If you lose interest as I did on the first listen after about 10 minutes, you know it's bad - and this is supposed to be a best of compilation!!! It is loud, unintelligent and to be frank, extremely dull - it's soul-less throw-away junk for the masses.
It may be cheap, but surely music shouldn't be bought on this criteria. Do yourself a big favour and go for 'White Blood Cells' by The White Stripes or The Strokes instead - both these groups are a different class altogether.
I've never felt moved to write a review of an album purely because of how bad it is, but this is junk, trust me....

3.0 out of 5 stars a band with great potential, 18 Feb. 2002
merlinme "merlinme" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Your New Favourite Band (Audio CD)
People are once more getting a bit carried away with the hype. Don't get me wrong, the Hives have a great sound, great image, great talent for song names, they're great live, and they have some great songs. But that's 'some' great songs, guys, not 'every note they make has the mark of genius all over it'. A lot of the songs are 'similar sounding noisy thrash which doesn't really go anywhere'. What do they actually sound like? There's definitely a strong 60s/ 70s rock/ punk feel about them. Iggy Pop was what immediately sprang to mind for me, I've heard people say the Stones, the Clash and a few of the more tuneful punk bands. Maybe even early Kinks. You get the idea: energy and lots of it. What's good about this album? Well, 'Hate To Say I Told You So' is one of the finest singles of this or any other year. Also, this is a compilation of their first few lps and eps, and it's noticeable that the newer stuff is definitely better. Maybe when they do their next full album, they'll deserve all the hype they've been getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would You Like Lemon and Lime with that piece of advice?, 18 Mar. 2002
This review is from: Your New Favourite Band (Audio CD)
This is a great album! its quite simple, you listen to it and grin because you are listening to the craziest bunch of musicians EVER!
just listen to 'untutored youth' and you will understand what i mean.
the statements of the songs are blunt-and-to-the-point (which may be why the songs and album are so short.)
The only criticism i have is that about 1/2 the songs end up in a really screechy guitar bit which has me literally ripping my headphones out of my ears!
But despite that, this is a truly great album.
The hives are genius and great philosophers, we can learn a lots from them.
remember, the hives are law, you are crime.
BUY IT!

3.0 out of 5 stars A little too squeeky..., 13 April 2002
This review is from: Your New Favourite Band (Audio CD)
The hive's retro 60's/70's feel was the catalyst for me buying this album. I heard " I Hate to say I told You So" on MTV and immeadiately liked the coarse effect of Howlin' Pelle Almquist's vocals. Maybe the name should have told me something. My roots lie with dance music, trance/US house especially however this new revolution of guitar bands [The Strokes, The White Stripes] has really caught my ear. I heard "Main Offender" again on Sky and liked what I heard so I bought the album. The album is a compilation of The Hives's previous albums. It is immeadiate once you listen to the album all the way through which songs were written at the start of a young Swedish punk-rock group career and others that were written with more experience. The start of the album contains the singles that are in the mainstream - and it shows, however dotted around the album are other decent efforts. However Howlin' Pelle Almquist's vocals start to annoy the listener. "Mad man" is a particular low point. With this in mind the final track on the album comes as a welcome and good relief. The instrumental track "the Hives are law, you are crime" might sound immensly cocky but is arguably the best track on the album excluding the absolutely excellent "Hate to tell I told you so."

4.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite band, 12 May 2002
This review is from: Your New Favourite Band (Audio CD)
When I bought this CD I was a little unsure but on listening to it my mind was put at ease. As soon as the bass line of hate to say I told you so begins you just can't stop tapping your foot until the last track. Quirky, original and breath of fresh air after American skate punk.
My only gripe is that it's only half an hour long.

5.0 out of 5 stars These guys rock!, 17 Jan. 2002
This review is from: Your New Favourite Band (Audio CD)
I bought this when I heard a couple of their songs on Radio 1. They rock, and then some. 12 blinding tracks, belted out in a matter of 28 minutes (good for people with a short attention span like me.) Not a dull moment, buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best rock album since definately maybe, 24 April 2002
This review is from: Your New Favourite Band (Audio CD)
This is the most energenic, crazy, whirlwind of an album i've heard in years. from the first note to the last chord it oozes quality. Don't be deceived by their cool smart looks they can definately rock.
My favourite track is "hate to say i told you so" but the rest are all damn good.
the album is also very appropriately titled as the hives are my new favourite band.
BUY IT>

3.0 out of 5 stars An old punk objects!, 22 Feb. 2002
Darryl Still "daxvondrac" (Bucks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your New Favourite Band (Audio CD)
It's great to hear someone doing Punk how it used to be done. I have tried to get over the fact that the Hives hardly look the part, but unfortunately whilst their cracketjack tunes and thrashing guitars bring back good memories, they just cannot do it like it used to be done.
Maybe its because its not of that times, but
Pistols, Stiff little Fingers, Vibrators. Do not add Hives to this list yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good......but, 4 Jun. 2002
This review is from: Your New Favourite Band (Audio CD)
Ok this is cd is a little overrated, It starts of amazing the first two song being realy great songs, but after that there is the odd good song and a few not so good ones! Don't get me wrong this is a GOOD album but before you buy this you should buy: Is This It by the strokes, Definitely Maybe by oasis and B.R.M.C. by the black rebal mytorcycle club These are great rock 'n'roll albums from start to finish. Ok here is how i rate all the tracks on the hives album Your New Favourite Band:
Hate say i told you so: 10/10
a.k.a I-D-I-OT: 8/10
Automatic schmuck: 7/10
Hail hail spit n' drool: 7/10
The hives are law, you are crime: 8/10
Good album but there are better ones out there.........

Your New Favourite Band
Your New Favourite Band by The Hives (Audio CD - 2000)